• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Oshi no Ko

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:48 am Reply with quote
tom lighten up the mood,.this episode had the most imaginative foot service scene since kyoani.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:36 am Reply with quote
Azure Chrysanthemum wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
Why is it in the opening animation the search engine is called "gugule", yet in the show itself Twitter, YouTube, and TikTok are referred to by their actual names?

I think it depends on licensing and if they were able to get the companies to sign off on using their trademarked logo for the show.

Specifically, as long as it's not an actual product placement or brand deal, but you just want to show say "Line" instead of "Lime", it can really be as simple as getting in contact with a rep from the company, asking, maybe showing some materials to explain the usage and wait for their response. Like, if you're shooting a film and a DHL comes into view in the background but you don't feel like reshooting, you can just contact DHL about it and they'll usually OK it without much hassle.

As to why anime rarely does it, just guessing here but considering how tight the lead time between an episode being finished and it's air date can get, they likely just don't want to add a potential source of 11th hour stress. Say, if you're scrambling to put out the 12th episode on time in a production that went off the rails, the last thing you wanna do is have to scramble to find someone at Meta who'll OK you showing Facebook on screen because back in episode 1 you did that and people will probably note the inconsistency. Fans don't seem. To care either way so why go through the trouble?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:38 am Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
depending on the pacing, a scene i'm incredibly excited about will be coming in either episode 7 or 8 and i cannot wait to see how the team adapting OnK handle it.

They've been consistently doing three chapters an episode after the first, so episode 7 (ch26-28) should end on spoiler[those eyes] and episode 8 (ch29-31) on spoiler[an invitation]. Spoilers as vague as I can make them.

I have a suspicion about what scene you mean. More vague allusions to future material: spoiler[There's a splash panel in chapter 28 that's gonna take some real inventiveness to animate in a compelling way; I'm hoping for them to go as all-out as scenes in ep1 like Ruby learning to dance and Aqua vowing revenge. (And the end of ep7 and first third of ep8 are gonna need some impressive character animation work.)]
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:45 am Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
Why is it in the opening animation the search engine is called "gugule", yet in the show itself Twitter, YouTube, and TikTok are referred to by their actual names?

I think it depends on licensing and if they were able to get the companies to sign off on using their trademarked logo for the show.

Specifically, as long as it's not an actual product placement or brand deal, but you just want to show say "Line" instead of "Lime", it can really be as simple as getting in contact with a rep from the company, asking, maybe showing some materials to explain the usage and wait for their response. Like, if you're shooting a film and a DHL comes into view in the background but you don't feel like reshooting, you can just contact DHL about it and they'll usually OK it without much hassle.

As to why anime rarely does it, just guessing here but considering how tight the lead time between an episode being finished and it's air date can get, they likely just don't want to add a potential source of 11th hour stress. Say, if you're scrambling to put out the 12th episode on time in a production that went off the rails, the last thing you wanna do is have to scramble to find someone at Meta who'll OK you showing Facebook on screen because back in episode 1 you did that and people will probably note the inconsistency. Fans don't seem. To care either way so why go through the trouble?

It goes a bit deeper than this too - brands TIGHTLY control their image and there's plenty of reason to believe a brand might not want to put their actual logo on a series like Oshi no Ko that hits on some pretty touchy issues. Prior relationships and whether you can sell it all matter too, of course. Amusingly, I think the upcoming current chapters in the manga are about to get into this structure but as someone who's done some general work in the industry licensing deals are COMPLICATED and involve a lot of money changing hands.

An example I remember from 2009 was when Eden of the East used "Falling Down" by Oasis for their opening but when it was localized the deal Oasis wanted was that they would have to pay the fee for every episode that featured the opening, so they only used it once and then had a new opening for the rest of the episodes.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 12:55 pm Reply with quote
^^^ Oh yeah, music licensing is a whole other can of worms. When Rockstar has to patch their decades old games to remove songs because of licensing shenanigans, you know you're in a minefield.

And yeah I suppose some brands might be more finicky than others about this stuff. I mentioned DHL because it literally happened to me and it was a surpsingly chill process, to the point I felt we overprepared for the request. Anyway, my point is that it is (or at least can be) a fairly ad hoc process, but it's understandable, specially in anime, that some productions just don't bother engaging with it.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 1:30 pm Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
^^^ Oh yeah, music licensing is a whole other can of worms. When Rockstar has to patch their decades old games to remove songs because of licensing shenanigans, you know you're in a minefield.

And yeah I suppose some brands might be more finicky than others about this stuff. I mentioned DHL because it literally happened to me and it was a surpsingly chill process, to the point I felt we overprepared for the request. Anyway, my point is that it is (or at least can be) a fairly ad hoc process, but it's understandable, specially in anime, that some productions just don't bother engaging with it.

I'm not surprised that DHL was pretty chill about it from what I know about it, and by the sound of it Pizza Hut has people staring creepily into the offices of Anime Studios trying to find their next sponsorship so it really just depends! I know for the movie Castaway I think it was (the one with the ball with a bloody face on it), Fedex was VERY careful about how they allowed their logo to be placed, when the plane was going down they didn't allow it to appear on the plane for example.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:22 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
tom lighten up the mood,.this episode had the most imaginative foot service scene since kyoani.

Someone on the staff is clearly cultured going by that one shot of Akane's socked foot in the episode. They were so proud of it they showed it twice lol
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 3:03 pm Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

This being a series about the Japanese entertainment world, there’s some commentary about licensing rights and obtaining them in a later arc. Though it doesn’t come soon enough to be in this cour of the anime, with how it’s been paced currently.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

While discussing their plan, MEM-Cho mentioned to Aqua that while the online discussion consisted almost entirely of harassment of Akane, in reality it was only a small percentage of viewers doing that, while most viewers stayed silent. They appealed to this silent majority with the video showing the cast's point of view, and they succeeded; the online discussion became supportive of Akane. Afterwards, Akane mentioned that she's still receiving some criticism, showing that perhaps the video didn't necessarily change the minds of the bullies, but it mobilized former bystanders to speak out against the harassment.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the "after-school special" point is fair, though it is nice to see everyone combining their distinct strengths to help Akane -- Aqua's production expertise, Kengo's music, MEM's social media savvy, Yuki's superb camera awareness.

I looked at way too many reaction videos yesterday just to see people react to the last third of the episode or so, from MEM's offhand-yet-hugely-consequential question about Aqua's type, through Akane's increasingly manic research, all the way up to those eyes (which most reactors seem to be using for their thumbnails). Props to the animators for pulling off those final shots so well; "scarily good" has never described a character better.

Also, the official English version of "Idol" has been released!

Quote:
Couldn't beat her smile, it stirred up all the media
Secret side, I wanna know it, so mysterious
Even that elusive side, part of her controlled area
Complete and perfect, all you say is a bunch of lies
Dear miss genius idol, unmatched
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Yeah, the "after-school special" point is fair, though it is nice to see everyone combining their distinct strengths to help Akane -- Aqua's production expertise, Kengo's music, MEM's social media savvy, Yuki's superb camera awareness.

Don't forget Nobu's ability to smile handsomely and take credit while doing absolutely nothing!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Yuki has got to be the nicest calculating girl I have ever seen. Like how there actually WAS a camera on her when she comforted Akane, but she told her there wasn't so Akane would know she meant what she said (which she did). Plus she probably assumed the crew would use that footage instead of holding onto it and screwing Akane over. Though that scene in the police station was 100% genuine.

Kana has maturity, confidence, experience, and cute outfits/berets, but even she has times when she's completely done with everything. It just comes with being human, especially in a world as cutthroat as the entertainment industry.

So all those moments of Akane taking notes weren't just cute character bits but foreshadowing her entire acting method. Akane's real problem was that she was playing herself instead of leaning into she does best...performing. And now she's taken up playing "Ai," with the inflection, star eyes, and personality to match after extensive, obsessive, and surprisingly on-point investigation into who Ai was. And now she's in a dating show with someone who was basically obsessed with Ai in their own way. Things seem to be escalating fast.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:02 am Reply with quote
I read a couple of chapters after last weeks episode so I was looking forward to that reveal at the end and it didn't disappoint. Can't wait to see what happens next since I stopped when spoiler[she revealed that she thinks Ai had a child! ]

Akane gets pretty scary by the end of that investigation though. Well, at least if acting doesn't work out, there's always criminal profiling and the like lol

Shay Guy wrote:

Also, the official English version of "Idol" has been released!

Thanks for the link! Interesting to hear an official english version. Pretty rare these days.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:13 am Reply with quote
oh people, won't stop the bullying that easily.

in other place i mentioned that I'd prefer if celebrities that get bullied dish the bullying back inatead.of commiting suicide, but according to people of celebrities retaliate they are bullies themselves and deserve the online abuse.

so yeah, online bullies will just find a way to justify their behaviour, be it Thale social status of the person being bullied, their race or the party they vote for.
MPAndonee

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I just came here to post that I just watched Episode 1 and Episode 2 just last night. With so much good Anime this year, and so much stuff like Hell's Paradise where I've read the manga, Oshi no Ko was just something I had a vague recommendation about. Haven't read the manga, and didn't know much about it except the initial review by ANN (which I already forgot.)

Well....

This (Episode 1) was probably the only Anime where I cried when a character died.

I know people try to neat pick plot threads and character development and so on, but all I know is that if this was a show on American TV or Streaming, it would win an Emmy for that episode.

Regardless, I am now hooked and can't wait to learn more about everything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12