• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Aunties Visit Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penrhos

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:22 am Reply with quote
Takes me back - we went 11 years ago and I dragged my wife all over Aki' and into Sega/Taito arcades (which no longer exist) - I did manage to get her into a maid cafe but it was totally lost on her - I had a great time....

Shame you're a bit too late for the cherry blossom - sitting under the trees in the park with the locals drinking beer and eating noodles was a highlight I'll never forget.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:26 am Reply with quote
Steins;Gate photos are great.

If you go to Kyoto, there's tons of anime you can reference thanks to the hundreds of school-trip-to-Kyoto anime episodes. Side-trip to Nara for the infamous deer.

But more fun: Eccentric Family eye-catches actually had maps showing where the episode's action was taking place. It was startling to turn a corner in Kyoto and recognize a location from that anime (or any of the other Tomihiko Morimi-related anime).
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:22 am Reply with quote
The only disappointing thing about the Steins;Gate photos is the fact that the Radio Kaikan building from the anime no longer exists.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Most of us who collect artwork are well familiar with the cel shop you went to in Broadway Nakano. The guy who runs the store sells a lot of stuff on Yahoo Japan. He has wall of sketches and cels outside his store (there's a sign telling you not to take photos but I don't think most people follow that). He doesn't get along with Mandarake for obvious reasons.

The really nice stuff he has is in the back of his shop. That's where I got a huge chunk of sketches used in Mercury's SuperS bank attack, Aqua Rhapsody.
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Most of us who collect artwork are well familiar with the cel shop you went to in Broadway Nakano. The guy who runs the store sells a lot of stuff on Yahoo Japan. He has wall of sketches and cels outside his store (there's a sign telling you not to take photos but I don't think most people follow that). He doesn't get along with Mandarake for obvious reasons.

The really nice stuff he has is in the back of his shop. That's where I got a huge chunk of sketches used in Mercury's SuperS bank attack, Aqua Rhapsody.

I visited all of the cels shops in Nakano Broadway this April and was disappointed by the variety and quality of the cels. There were hardly any left of classic 80s anime such as Dirty Pair, UY or KOR, and those that remained were of rather low quality. There were more cels from 90s anime and movies, especially from studios like AIC, but here too, the selection was disappointing. I guess the best cels are sold on Yahoo Auction Japan and the rest is kept in the stores for curious passers-by with some money to spend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 6:53 am Reply with quote
Jacki wrote:
Executive Editor Lynzee Loveridge (hehe, I just added her title again— inside joke)

Now I feel like I've become the inside joke Laughing

Nakano Broadway looks pretty cool; googled pictures of its main, uh, broadway, look almost overwhelming. Not sure I've ever heard of it before.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:37 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Nakano Broadway looks pretty cool; googled pictures of its main, uh, broadway, look almost overwhelming. Not sure I've ever heard of it before.

I usually visit Nakano Broadway more than once each trip - going through the CD shelves of Mandarake UFO takes more than one visit.

PS, second-hand stock of particular items disappears and (sometimes) re-appears from time to time as some things become popular and people sell their collections (e.g. when Kalafina were no longer together, more of their material appeared in second-hand stores and some of it has since been re-purchased by other fans).
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:49 am Reply with quote
Really love the Sailor Moon shrine comparison shots; I had no idea it was based off of a real place.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I can not even begin to count how much I've spent in Nakano Broadway over the past thirty years and nine trips to Tokyo. I remember my very first visit to Mandarake back on my first trip in 199. At that time, it was only a single shop and the only location in all of Japan. Hard to believe that now, thirty years later, Mandarake has almost a dozen shops just in Nakano Broadway alone, with another eight-floor store in Akihabara, plus locations in major cities all over Japan.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Regular admission is very reasonable at 1650 yen for 13+ years old and 1,100 yen for children 7 to 12 years old (roughly US$12 and US$8). The admission price is 3,300 yen (US$24) per person if you want to view from the Gundam-Dock tower.

Forgive me, but this wording comes across somewhat misleading. I was there just two weeks ago, and the 3300 yen price for the tower experience is in addition to the general admission price, i.e. the total cost of admission including the dock tower experience is 4950 yen. It was good, but I didn't think it was worth twice again the regular admission price. You're stuck up there for an hour and depending on the numbers at the time you could be vying with 20-30 other people for a view in a space that can barely accommodate that many.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:40 am Reply with quote
For a free high altitude view of Tokyo, there are the Tokyo Metropolitan Government towers in Shinjuku (separate public viewing areas in the north and south towers).

As seen in Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations OVA and many other anime.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:45 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
For a free high altitude view of Tokyo, there are the Tokyo Metropolitan Government towers in Shinjuku (separate public viewing areas in the north and south towers).

As seen in Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations OVA and many other anime.

I've done those very two locations on two of my trips, including my last trip four years ago.
blooperboy

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Once you've had time to settle back in, I'd LOVE to get a writeup of how to be a good traveler rather than a tourist. Let us learn from your wisdom so we can be better when(if) we go!
Jacki Jing

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:12 am Reply with quote
blooperboy wrote:
Once you've had time to settle back in, I'd LOVE to get a writeup of how to be a good traveler rather than a tourist. Let us learn from your wisdom so we can be better when(if) we go!

Me too! Japan Etiquette Lessons: What You Should Know Before !!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:40 pm Reply with quote
That headband is hilariously cute! I love it! Did you notice the woman in the background at the JJK dining room was wearing one too? Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3