• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Aunties Visit Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:19 pm Reply with quote
You've mentioned a bunch of times in the write-ups that you don't speak Japanese, Jacki; have you found that was a big obstacle throughout the trip? Did it make logistics/figuring out trains and such, general planning, finding places you wanted to eat or communicating your order or whatever, a lot more difficult?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh, also -- forgot to write: "OUCH!" The closest I've ever come to Lynzee's story is a blackened toenail from distance running, but so far it's been basically entirely non-painful. So, I have, like, zero reference; yet, I still got that chill that runs through your body from vicarious pain on reading Lynzee's description of her journey home. That she regarded that as prelude to the travel nightmare rather than nightmare itself... Shocked
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 6:14 pm Reply with quote
So, should I say "welcome to Tezuka fandom, Jacki"? He is indeed a giant, but it's never too late to start learning about manga and anime's roots. Hell, I'm still giving storied classics a try for the first time (Fist of the North Star being one of the latest), and I've been into this stuff for thirty years!

If you want to read any Tezuka, two series that are great for newcomers are Black Jack (mostly all self-contained short stories starring the title character) and The Crater (one of his best short story anthologies). My husband and I didn't make it to the Tezuka Museum when we visited Japan-- it was between that and the Kyoto International Manga Museum-- but maybe next time!
omiya

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:33 am Reply with quote
Back in 2018 there was a special Macross exhibition at the Osamu Tezuka Manga Museum:

dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:17 am Reply with quote
Wow. Sounds like the Manga Museum has grown a lot since I was there (it was the first floor only --- the second floor was a museum dedicated to the school that the museum is located in, and ... I don't remember there being a third floor.

Even then, it was a great place to visit.

Kyoto must seem quiet and laid-back after Tokyo and Osaka.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:27 am Reply with quote
That manga museum is my dream.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Manga Museum was nice. I went there in October 2019 and at the time, they had a large Chihayafuru exhibit. Being a huge fan of the manga (and also a collector of mangaka sketches), I thoroughly enjoyed myself and wished there had been an option to buy a sketch. Probably the only downside considering the entry was free (I guess they have free entry on Tuesday...at least they did at the time). It was a nice way to spend a rainy day in Kyoto.

Did the Tezuka Museum mention anything about Wansa-kun? Originally, Tezuka created Wansa for the now defunct Sanwa Bank. For a few years, and before the original anime was released, Tezuka and his assistants drew various sketches for images and items released by the bank for various promotional items such as a tissue packet and a figurine set. I own a few of the original sketches and the artwork was really well done. While Tezuka wasn't directly involved in the Wansa-kun anime, he did have a hand in the artwork created for Sanwa Bank.
Keen Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Dear Jack, a small correction. It is Manpu and not Mampu.
Kanji for both words are respectively: 漫符 (manpu) and 漫画 (manga).

This Japanese trip is very fun! You went to one of the most interesting places.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:50 am Reply with quote
Keen Fox wrote:
Dear Jack, a small correction. It is Manpu and not Mampu.
Kanji for both words are respectively: 漫符 (manpu) and 漫画 (manga).

This is one of those oddities of romanization (or converting speech to text, generally).

It's why you sometimes see "pompoko" spelled as "ponpoko" (or vice-versa). It has to do with the logic of what's going on in the mouth (/m/ is done with the lips, as is /p/, /n/ with the tongue and alveola).
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Did you make it all the way to the top of Fushimi Inari shrine, Jackie? What a climb!
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:38 am Reply with quote
Fushimi Inari is a nice shrine. I've hiked up to the top as well. If you play Pokemon Go, there's several gyms near the top. Because who doesn't place Pokemon in gyms in major historical sites in foreign lands? lol

Best time of day to go is late afternoon so that you can either watch the sun set midway or close to the top. The light hits the tori and you can really get some nice shots during golden hour.

Glad to hear that you all had a nice trip there. Definitely recommend going to some of the less touristy areas of Japan. I highly recommend Morioka during the Fall. There's a ruined castle there with some really nice maple trees.
Jacki Jing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That headband is hilariously cute! I love it! Did you notice the woman in the background at the JJK dining room was wearing one too? Very Happy

NO LOL, yess my fellow JJK FANS Very Happy
Jacki Jing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:54 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
You've mentioned a bunch of times in the write-ups that you don't speak Japanese, Jacki; have you found that was a big obstacle throughout the trip? Did it make logistics/figuring out trains and such, general planning, finding places you wanted to eat or communicating your order or whatever, a lot more difficult?

You'll be okay! I think public transportation can be a little bit daunting at first, but then you get the hang of things, there were a couple times though that we asked for help in English and they couldn't understand -- we just popped out google translate and it was all good Smile
Jacki Jing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:55 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
So, should I say "welcome to Tezuka fandom, Jacki"? He is indeed a giant, but it's never too late to start learning about manga and anime's roots. Hell, I'm still giving storied classics a try for the first time (Fist of the North Star being one of the latest), and I've been into this stuff for thirty years!

If you want to read any Tezuka, two series that are great for newcomers are Black Jack (mostly all self-contained short stories starring the title character) and The Crater (one of his best short story anthologies). My husband and I didn't make it to the Tezuka Museum when we visited Japan-- it was between that and the Kyoto International Manga Museum-- but maybe next time!

I liked the Tezuka Museum better than the Manga museum personally -- there was lot more to do and more exhibits. It was honestly incredible. Black Jack was calling to me the most - where can I stream it!?
Jacki Jing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Manga Museum was nice. I went there in October 2019 and at the time, they had a large Chihayafuru exhibit. Being a huge fan of the manga (and also a collector of mangaka sketches), I thoroughly enjoyed myself and wished there had been an option to buy a sketch. Probably the only downside considering the entry was free (I guess they have free entry on Tuesday...at least they did at the time). It was a nice way to spend a rainy day in Kyoto.

Did the Tezuka Museum mention anything about Wansa-kun? Originally, Tezuka created Wansa for the now defunct Sanwa Bank. For a few years, and before the original anime was released, Tezuka and his assistants drew various sketches for images and items released by the bank for various promotional items such as a tissue packet and a figurine set. I own a few of the original sketches and the artwork was really well done. While Tezuka wasn't directly involved in the Wansa-kun anime, he did have a hand in the artwork created for Sanwa Bank.

I don't remember anything about Wansa-kun!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3