• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shakugan no Shana Light Novels Get 1st New Volume in 11 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Nice to hear about Shana again. I'm not sure if I'll ever get to read it but it'd be nice to check in with everybody again.
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:54 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Why is VIZ Media of all things describing this description when they don't even have license to it anymore?

Makes me wonder why J-novel hasn't license this, along with The Familiar of Zero and Grimoire of Zero? They're pretty much gold mine/golden egg.

I feel like anytime the subject is brought up, J-Novel says older series never sell anywhere near as well as new stuff. Adventurer Does a Thing in Another World #74,831 apparently steamrolls the likes of Full Metal Panic, et al.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:55 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Why is VIZ Media of all things describing this description when they don't even have license to it anymore?

It's probably borrowed from the ANN encyclopedia which most likely got it from when VIZ had the license.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:00 am Reply with quote
Omg, this is so cool. Does it say if its a continuation or side story? Hecate is one of my most favorite characters in anime
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely hated the third season....but if more Shana got adapted, I'd probably watch it. Rolling Eyes
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I love Shakugan no Shana, but I agree with the poster above about the third season. Turning Yuji into the villain, with the very real possibility that he might have to kill Shana, was a bad idea. And the justifications for Yuji's actions are a convoluted mess, that no real person would do. But it has been a long time, so I am onboard for a continuation, but not a remake or side stories.
filus69

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:32 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I love Shakugan no Shana, but I agree with the poster above about the third season. Turning Yuji into the villain, with the very real possibility that he might have to kill Shana, was a bad idea. And the justifications for Yuji's actions are a convoluted mess, that no real person would do. But it has been a long time, so I am onboard for a continuation, but not a remake or side stories.

And I don't agree. It was just badly explained in the anime because they removed all the foreshadowing from season two and also slightly changed character of Yuji himself. It made a lot of sense and he believed it was the only option he had. He was later proved wrong by Shana but that was the point. Season 3 was harder to understand for non LN readers (so unfortunately most of non JP audience) but despite that it was by far the best and no one will convince me otherwise.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:

Makes me wonder why J-novel hasn't license this, along with The Familiar of Zero and Grimoire of Zero? They're pretty much gold mine/golden egg.

I have actually talked to the person who runs J Novel Club, and he pretty much said that since its such an old property and is pretty long, that they dont see it as profitable. That goes for Shana and Zero no Tsukaima.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:14 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Turning Yuji into the villain, with the very real possibility that he might have to kill Shana, was a bad idea.

RIGHT?? THIS WAS DUMB!! Hated it.

Killing my favorite character was also a bad idea. Anime cry
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:15 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
I have actually talked to the person who runs J Novel Club, and he pretty much said that since its such an old property and is pretty long, that they dont see it as profitable. That goes for Shana and Zero no Tsukaima.

That's a real pity. With how influential ZnT's been, it'd be super neat to have the light novels brought over properly, even if only digitally.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 1:41 pm Reply with quote
filus69 wrote:
And I don't agree. It was just badly explained in the anime because they removed all the foreshadowing from season two and also slightly changed character of Yuji himself. It made a lot of sense and he believed it was the only option he had. He was later proved wrong by Shana but that was the point. Season 3 was harder to understand for non LN readers (so unfortunately most of non JP audience) but despite that it was by far the best and no one will convince me otherwise.

"I am going to save my wife from the job and life she leads, by becoming a major villain and enemy of my wife. And she might die, if we actually get in combat with each other."
That would go over 'really' well in real life.

Perhaps it is as you said, but it fails the reality test. Who in their right mind would do something like this. Shana could have died, either by Yuji's hand or one of his minions, no matter how hard he would have tried to prevent it. If I did this crap, my wife would probably beat me up and then throw me to the curb permanently.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 5:25 pm Reply with quote
1st rule of Shana fandom:
We don't talk about season3.

2nd rule of Shana fandom:
See rule 1, if it's not about that subject, THEN you can discuss.

That is all.
Viren21

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 6:50 am Reply with quote
filus69 wrote:
Viren21 wrote:
I remember this one i did finish the first and second season (but need to rewatch it) but on the 3rd season I dropped because of some kind of time skip I guess and what put me off is Yuuji became an adult that didn't explain at all in the 3rd season Overall, it just confused me of how the story went through or the chronology of it

There was almost no time skip. Yuji looks different because of contract he made with Seirei no Hebi and also you know... many years later some changes in design were made. The thing is seasons 1 and 2 didn't follow light novel closely and added their original endings also skipping a lot of foreshadowing for what is to come. Beginning of season 3 may be confusing for those who didn't read LN or are not aware what was changed. We get some explanation at the beginning but it still may be hard to understand.

In the Light Novel Yuji started talking to Seirei no Hebi in his dreams right after school festival (where Pheles arrived and Reiji Maigo inside Yuji was "Opened"). He slowly came to realization that he may have the way to end the war once for all by bringing back leader of enemy faction - God of Creation Seirei no Hebi. If it was good or bad decision we get to see in season 3.

Aaaand I did this again... it's all coming back after all those years. Sorry I'm just crazy Shana fan getting re-awakened from slumber Wink

Thanks for the explanation. I still remember the anime since its one of those that i've always watch in cable TV (along with Matantei Loki) after class ends. Its also one of those anime that i've ported an episode in a flip phone in a .3gp format low resolution
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2