• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Deceased Pro Wrestler Hana Kimura's Mother Criticizes Oshi no Ko Episode 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Millhi

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:16 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
The mother should have not taken this to Twitter, like I've said for past 8 years; do not take things like your beef or in this case grievances to Twitter (especially not about suicide), it doesn't end well, even in the western sphere. Also, the episode was handled properly like everything else in this anime.

But she didn't take it to twitter?
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:20 am Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:

Did the script of episode 6 resemble too closely the real-life event it was inspired by? Considering that the topic is about a person driven to death by cyber-bullying, I don't know how it could be portrayed without stirring up painful memories, even if the plot were made more abstract.

From what I understand, Akasaka and Mengo lifted some of the Twitter comments attacking Hana Kimura wholesale to portray the Twitter mob against Akane.
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:27 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
The mother should have not taken this to Twitter, like I've said for past 8 years; do not take things like your beef or in this case grievances to Twitter (especially not about suicide), it doesn't end well, even in the western sphere. Also, the episode was handled properly like everything else in this anime.
Yeah, how dare the mother of a suicide victim criticize a piece of entertainment for mining her real life tragedy for drama without even consulting her about it or asking her thoughts on the matter.

With all due respect, my friend, the fudge are you smoking?
SigTheSauceMan

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:29 am Reply with quote
Don't you love it when people do the stupidest things to try and get attention? While I certainly sympathize with the mother, it's abundantly clear she's doing this for the attention. If she truly had a problem with this, she would have taken issue with it when the manga got to this point, years ago. Not now when an anime adaptation became a global hit that she just wants a piece of. Also, that aside, this kind of thing is scarily common in Japan (as is the stalking of idols, as we saw in this story's prologue).
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:30 am Reply with quote
The Anime Binge-Watcher wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
Yeah, how dare the mother of a suicide victim criticize a piece of entertainment for mining her real life tragedy for drama without even consulting her about it or asking her thoughts on the matter.

With all due respect, my friend, the fudge are you smoking?

She should've filed a complaint to the studio.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:51 am Reply with quote
mooseV01 wrote:
Eh. She has the right to be mad but ultimately people can make their story however they want. To be blunt, she’ll just have deal.

I mean, y’all can say it in however nice way you want… but that’s ultimately what’s gonna happen. She has her right grieve, for sure. And it sucks this hits home to her. But… the show must go on.

Sounds like the entire theme of this series has gone over your head, huh?
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 12:02 pm Reply with quote
SigTheSauceMan wrote:
Don't you love it when people do the stupidest things to try and get attention? While I certainly sympathize with the mother, it's abundantly clear she's doing this for the attention. If she truly had a problem with this, she would have taken issue with it when the manga got to this point, years ago. Not now when an anime adaptation became a global hit that she just wants a piece of. Also, that aside, this kind of thing is scarily common in Japan (as is the stalking of idols, as we saw in this story's prologue).

How up your own ass are you?

Without looking it up online, could you say what chapter of the manga the scenes are from? The amount of media coverage a single or handful of chapters get is not remotely comparable to a single episode of it's anime adaptation. That boost in coverage is literally one of the reasons why adaptations get made. The fact that certain media receive less coverage is why it's easier to slip certain things in (more graphic violence, nudity, sex). Things that do not get noticed or become a big deal until the adaptation, at which point they are usually toned down by comparison.
Also, japanese people do not consume nearly as much manga (books) as foreigners think, which is another reason why tv adaptations get made.

RE: the article.
Since they used the actual hate messages her daughter got it's reasonable for the mother to be upset. This wasn't just a similar story. We are clearly meant to think specifically of her daughter's death.
NECOdes

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 12:38 pm Reply with quote
the only valid thing I see in that article is this:

Quote:
She also mentioned that a friend of hers watched the episode without knowing its subject matter beforehand, triggering traumatic memories for them

Which is also not related to Aka, anime producers should've put the warning message at the beginning of the episode, not the end.

The suicide story was just a typical cyberbully plot, yeah unfortunately it resembles Hana's death but was it intentional? I don't think so. The manga started only one month prior to Hana's death. I'm pretty sure most mangakas plan their story way before the original run, specially Aka.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 12:55 pm Reply with quote
As much as this episode may be trigger painful memories for the people involved in the actual incident (especially considering the event) and while the anger is understandable, the studio and the mangaka owe her nothing.
As is, this is not a private affair but something that appeared on news and the likes. The author had, therefore, no obligations whatsoever.
Maybe more tact should have been used? Possibly. But aside that...
And while I understand why the producers put the message at the end, this is pure hypocrisy, IMO.
NECOdes

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Hal14 wrote:
Since they used the actual hate messages her daughter got, it's reasonable for the mother to be upset. This wasn't just a similar story. We are clearly meant to think specifically of her daughter's death.

Akane's hate messages aren't similar to Hana's ones, have you even seen them? bruh. Hate messages in the manga look more similar to the messages I receive on Twitter.
Of course, if you want to believe they're similar then you can relate to them, or at anything, just like Hana's mother.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She also mentioned that a friend of hers watched the episode without knowing its subject matter beforehand, triggering traumatic memories for them.

People really love playing the victim and making media "the bad guy" without even researching what they're about to see. Rolling Eyes

When I sense something is gonna take me out of my comfort zone, I turn it off!
How hard is that to do!?
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:18 pm Reply with quote
the number of people reacting with condescension, disdain and revulsion towards a woman very understandably and justifiably upset seeing HER DAUGHTER'S [expletive] SUICIDE as the basis for a widely advertised and promoted anime episode is absolutely vile. y'all need to learn some empathy.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:52 pm Reply with quote
The lack of empathy in a lot of these comments when the arc they're defending the right to exist calls out the exact attitude is kind of amazing. I guess it's easier to care about the feelings of the anime girl than a real person /s
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
DokoMadeMo wrote:
As of the present, both the original article and the Yahoo! news article have apparently been removed.... It makes you wonder what led to the removal.

Ironically, it's probably because fans of Oshi no Ko are attacking the interviewee online. facepalm

I'd take anything UnseenJapan "reports" with a grain of salt. They're pretty infamous and have been called out by Japan numerous times.
musouka

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:57 pm Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:
They're pretty infamous and have been called out by Japan numerous times.

I don't think the nation of Japan has issued an advisory warning about Unseen Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5