• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Deceased Pro Wrestler Hana Kimura's Mother Criticizes Oshi no Ko Episode 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:12 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
the number of people reacting with condescension, disdain and revulsion towards a woman very understandably and justifiably upset seeing HER DAUGHTER'S [expletive] SUICIDE as the basis for a widely advertised and promoted anime episode is absolutely vile. y'all need to learn some empathy.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few", imho.

This episode is to promote AWARENESS of the dangers and consequences of cyberbullying.

It COULD affect how cyberbullies who watched it behave from now on; like make them think twice about their toxic actions.

Reminds me of this one awfully upsetting movie I saw on Lifetime called "Rivals". The plot is a jealous ex stalking and murdering an innocent teenaged girl who dated the ex's man.

HORRIFYINGLY based on a true story, the movie was entirely the victim's mother's idea. She wanted people to know this story...to perhaps increase the chances that it will happen less in the future. It wasn't for profit. It was for parental awareness to protect their own children from others in the same situation.
Nate148

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Yea it was a shit thing to do right as it happened to sad folks defending this
koinosuke

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 6:13 pm Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:
Aerdra wrote:
DokoMadeMo wrote:
As of the present, both the original article and the Yahoo! news article have apparently been removed.... It makes you wonder what led to the removal.

Ironically, it's probably because fans of Oshi no Ko are attacking the interviewee online. facepalm

I'd take anything UnseenJapan "reports" with a grain of salt. They're pretty infamous and have been called out by Japan numerous times.

What are you talking about? UJ has been featured positively by and worked alongside Japanese media multiple times. They're literally only "infamous" among uninformed right-wing fanboys who continually bring up misinformation from circa four years ago.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I sympathize with the mother. I disagree with her on a couple of metrics, since I believe that such behavior as cyberbullying needs to be addressed point-blank. I believe, however, that content warnings should've been added at the beginning of the episode.

This tragedy happened in the public sphere. As such, it is only natural that somebody would address it in a work of fiction. Of course, this is not meant to be reductive of a grieving family's suffering. Ii understand their point of view.

Also, to those bullying the mother online for her views regarding an episode that criticizes cyberbullying or bullying in general... *facepalm*
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:03 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
What are you talking about? UJ has been featured positively by and worked alongside Japanese media multiple times. They're literally only "infamous" among uninformed right-wing fanboys who continually bring up misinformation from circa four years ago.

I mean, if you're going to go down that route then it seems only fair to point out that Unseen Japan itself is a very left-wing leaning site who's entire thing is hyper-focusing on obscure posts and news and attempting to pass them off as a general consensus Japan has under the guise of 'uplifting alterative viewpoints' while ignoring many big stories coming out of Japan because it paints them or their views in a bad light and contradicts their goal.

If they're the source saying the original article was taken down because of "harassment" then I'd definitely question it and ask for another source. For all we know the original article was taken down because the news sites regretted giving this woman a platform as new information came into light. And said "harassment" was actual legit criticism. Or they're doing their usual thing of finding one or two Tweets being mean and passing it off as an entire fanbase or group to paint them in a bad light.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Also, to those bullying the mother online for her views regarding an episode that criticizes cyberbullying or bullying in general... *facepalm*

Yeah. Above all else, I don't want to side with people who are doing the thing in defense of the storyline whose whole point is "Don't Do the Thing".

That said, while I haven't clicked through to her full comments… just looking at what's quoted here, it doesn't look like she thinks the story was disrespectful to her daughter's memory, or that she doesn't respect what Akasaka and Doga Kobo were trying to accomplish. It sounds like she's objecting on behalf of herself, and those who are close to her -- that she's not an instructional prop, she's a grieving mother, and that broadcasting the specific words her daughter was abused with was unnecessarily cruel.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

That said, while I haven't clicked through to her full comments… just looking at what's quoted here, it doesn't look like she thinks the story was disrespectful to her daughter's memory, or that she doesn't respect what Akasaka and Doga Kobo were trying to accomplish. It sounds like she's objecting on behalf of herself, and those who are close to her -- that she's not an instructional prop, she's a grieving mother, and that broadcasting the specific words her daughter was abused with was unnecessarily cruel.

This seems exactly right to me. They could have reached out to her beforehand, and I think they owe her an acknowledgement of that in their likely-to-come apology.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:31 pm Reply with quote
DokoMadeMo wrote:
As of the present, both the original article and the Yahoo! news article have apparently been removed. Both articles are still accessible through the Internet archive: here and here. It makes you wonder what led to the removal.

There's another full article on the subject up at Yahoo Japan right here.
ViviP

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the Shūkan Josei Prime interview, Kimura states her wish to find a sort of middle ground where the truth is shared, but the victims are likewise respected. “I don't mean to blame the author or any specific individual. I just wonder if there was no one who gave it the proper consideration before releasing it out into the world. That's what makes me sad. Because it raises important issues, I would like to support a work like Oshi no Ko. However, I don't think it needs to be done in a way that makes people who have actually been victimized on social media suffer when they see it.”

Compromises and middle grounds aren’t very good at generating controversy and thus publicity. When apologies are so cheap it’s smarter to be as abrasive as possible, get everything you can then drop a BP style “I’m sorry” If anybody complains.
Maybe she was hoping for some empathy, I don’t think she’ll make that mistake again.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:39 pm Reply with quote
ViviP wrote:
Compromises and middle grounds aren’t very good at generating controversy and thus publicity.

Who do you think was seeking publicity? The makers of Oshi no ko? Maybe, but I also think they were trying to make a point.

The mother? This can't be a serious suggestion. I'm sure she'd rather have her daughter. Compromise and middle ground is exactly what should have happened, and Akasaka perhaps should have reached out to her as they were contemplating putting this story together, since it was directly inspired by her family's tragedy.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
When I sense something is gonna take me out of my comfort zone, I turn it off!
How hard is that to do!?

How hard is to put up a disclaimer before you air something on TV that has problematic content?

Especially if the content is based off of a real event.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Here's what I've learned thus far from this episode; whatever message the writer(s) may have hoped to convey, whatever change in behavior they were hoping to elicit, was a message that went right over the heads of a lot of folks, whose empathetic gene apparently doesn't fire up all too readily.

It's sad that a series that squarely focuses like a laser on the dangers of the toxicity of fan culture, and what happens? A not-so-small segment of fans delve headlong into the deep end of the pool of toxicity. It's greatly disappointing.
Wasureta

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall any of the harassing messages in the anime used Hana's name. The messages flashing across the screen have been used many times elsewhere. For example, "Just die," isn't trademarked or copyrighted or anything. I bet the phrase has been used in many other occasions. I just don't see why there is a complaint when the phrases are don't use Hana's name.
ViviP

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:57 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
ViviP wrote:
Compromises and middle grounds aren’t very good at generating controversy and thus publicity.

Who do you think was seeking publicity? The makers of Oshi no ko? Maybe, but I also think they were trying to make a point.

The mother? This can't be a serious suggestion. I'm sure she'd rather have her daughter. Compromise and middle ground is exactly what should have happened, and Akasaka perhaps should have reached out to her as they were contemplating putting this story together, since it was directly inspired by her family's tragedy.

The makers. Look at how well it turned out for them, publicity and an enemy for the fans to hate. I’m willing to bet that every single person that has dismissed Kimura’s grievance is a more loyal fan than they were yesterday.

Why would anybody reach out to her? That would eliminate the potential for extra publicity via controversy.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:12 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
When I sense something is gonna take me out of my comfort zone, I turn it off!
How hard is that to do!?

How hard is to put up a disclaimer before you air something on TV that has problematic content?

Especially if the content is based off of a real event.

Well, Crunchyroll and Sentai have BOTH been doing this at least...

The first time I saw a warning like that was for SAO Alicization...which was in 2020.

Maybe Japan is underestimating the sensitivity of its viewers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5