• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Deceased Pro Wrestler Hana Kimura's Mother Criticizes Oshi no Ko Episode 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:27 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
They could have reached out to her beforehand, and I think they owe her an acknowledgement of that in their likely-to-come apology.

"People swarm someone who apologizes. 'Apologizing means you admit you did something bad, right? If you committed a wrong, it's okay if I cast stones, right?' Something like that. Apologizing is seen as the reasonable thing to do by Japanese people, but it's the worst tactic for combating a storm of criticism online."

I suspect we won't see a public apology until things are sorted out behind the scenes.

ViviP wrote:
The makers. Look at how well it turned out for them, publicity and an enemy for the fans to hate. I’m willing to bet that every single person that has dismissed Kimura’s grievance is a more loyal fan than they were yesterday.

Why would anybody reach out to her? That would eliminate the potential for extra publicity via controversy.

Humans are capable of not being hypocrites. And there's a lot of people at Doga Kobo who are passionate about this story, and its themes. They can choose to be considerate of her desires if they want.
Megumi Chisato

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:44 pm Reply with quote
So many bad takes on all sides. I honestly feel that, while Hana Kimura's mother has every right to be upset and feel exploited, the show was very successful in addressing and bringing attention to the dangers of cyberbullying in a respectful and impactful way. If someone can be taught empathy through it or someone else's life can be saved because of it, I really think it's a net positive.

Also, I'm not sure how else such issues could be portrayed or tackled in media without bearing at least some similarities to real-life cases. Looking at the two cases objectively, the similarities between Akane and Hana are honestly superficial at best - actors on a reality TV show being forced to play the villain against their will and being bullied for it on social media. Unless we simply don't talk about these things, I really don't see a way to avoid having the victims or their loved ones relive some kind of trauma...
ViviP

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Humans are capable of not being hypocrites. And there's a lot of people at Doga Kobo who are passionate about this story, and its themes. They can choose to be considerate of her desires if they want.

Shouldn’t it be “They could have chosen to be considerate of her feelings if they wanted”? This is a past event.

Passionately damning one group whilst uncaringly trampling over someone else’s feelings isn’t hypocrisy, it’s more like being a different type of asshole.
Not caring about someone’s feelings isn’t necessarily wrong, but it’s not right either. So I think most criticisms are born form the “Why didn’t anybody do the obviously right thing?” mindset.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:28 pm Reply with quote
ViviP wrote:
Shouldn’t it be “They could have chosen to be considerate of her feelings if they wanted”? This is a past event.

The initial production and release of chapter 25 and episode 6 are past events. Kyoko Kimura's grievances, and how the relevant parties will choose to respond, are an ongoing event.

ViviP wrote:
Passionately damning one group whilst uncaringly trampling over someone else’s feelings isn’t hypocrisy, it’s more like being a different type of asshole.

Exploiting Internet mobs that target a vulnerable individual to drive up viewer engagement is exactly what this arc criticizes.
Nev999

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Megumi Chisato wrote:
So many bad takes on all sides. I honestly feel that, while Hana Kimura's mother has every right to be upset and feel exploited, the show was very successful in addressing and bringing attention to the dangers of cyberbullying in a respectful and impactful way. If someone can be taught empathy through it or someone else's life can be saved because of it, I really think it's a net positive.

Also, I'm not sure how else such issues could be portrayed or tackled in media without bearing at least some similarities to real-life cases. Looking at the two cases objectively, the similarities between Akane and Hana are honestly superficial at best - actors on a reality TV show being forced to play the villain against their will and being bullied for it on social media. Unless we simply don't talk about these things, I really don't see a way to avoid having the victims or their loved ones relive some kind of trauma...

It's weird that people keep bringing up this hypothetical, imaginary life saved as more important than the real harm we know was caused. If we're getting hypothetical, what if the episode led to the opposite of a life saved, with all controversy and fresh harassment that was stirred up? Would that still be a net positive? You can't quantify harm or good like that, and it's already proven that plenty of people who watched this episode are still committed to cyberbullying, and this thread definitely proves that watching it doesn't mean one learns empathy or even decides to care about the victims. Regardless of intentions, when ONK decided to make bank off of a real tragedy, the kind thing to have done would be to reach out to the family and at least prepare them, and it's fairly hypocritical of a work preaching kindness not to do so. That's really all there is to it.
ViviP

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 1:24 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
ViviP wrote:

The initial production and release of chapter 25 and episode 6 are past events. Kyoko Kimura's grievances, and how the relevant parties will choose to respond, are an ongoing event.

ViviP wrote:

Exploiting Internet mobs that target a vulnerable individual to drive up viewer engagement is exactly what this arc criticizes.

Production was the correct time to reach out to any parties that could be upset, this didn’t happen. So yes, they could have chosen to be considerate of her feelings if they wanted.

I think target is the key word in that last paragraph. I don’t think there was any intention to target anybody in particular, just a lack of compassion that led to an ironically similar situation. But I suppose you can make anybody a hypocrite by abstracting and focusing on particular points, so I can’t blame anybody for seeing hypocrisy where I don’t.
funkfoot

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:06 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Are you implying Aka Akasaka's goal when writing Oshi no Ko was to goad Hana Kimura's mother into making a public statement 3 years later in a magazine interview after the series gets an anime adaption in order to garner more attention to his series and make money? That'd be some pretty impressive 4D chess he was playing if that was his plan all along

To be serious for a second, if anyone is trying to "exploit" a situation here, it would be more likely the person doing magazine interviews years after the fact and continues to sell yearly PPV memorial shows of her late daughter rather than a writer who hasn't said anything at all about the subject. I mean, this whole interview and publicity did drop right when "pinx! went up for order on FiteTV. Free advertising, if nothing else. Who exactly is exploiting Hana Kimura's death here again?
Clarste

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:22 am Reply with quote
Maybe you shouldn't assume the worst about anyone in response to a story about people on the internet assuming the worst about people while knowing nothing. You are literally the villain of the show and have zero self awareness about it. Which I guess goes to show that the mother is absolutely right, since apparently making an episode about it taught you people absolutely [expletive] nothing and advanced no productive cause.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 6:24 am Reply with quote
SciasSlash wrote:
Fiction has a right to be inspired by real life events. Likewise, she has a right to dislike things being handled a certain way. Conflict can exist without there being a good guy or a bad guy.
Yep, but people love to assume the worst of intentions.
ViviP

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:18 am Reply with quote
funkfoot wrote:
Who exactly is exploiting Hana Kimura's death here again?

Right now the answer would be you.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:49 am Reply with quote
ViviP wrote:
Production was the correct time to reach out to any parties that could be upset, this didn’t happen. So yes, they could have chosen to be considerate of her feelings if they wanted.

I use the present tense because this isn't over. There are still options. For one thing, anime episodes get edited all the time for BD releases.

funkfoot wrote:
Are you implying Aka Akasaka's goal when writing Oshi no Ko was to goad Hana Kimura's mother into making a public statement 3 years later in a magazine interview after the series gets an anime adaption in order to garner more attention to his series and make money?

No. I was specifically responding to this speculation:

ViviP wrote:
dm wrote:
Who do you think was seeking publicity? The makers of Oshi no ko?

Look at how well it turned out for them, publicity and an enemy for the fans to hate. I’m willing to bet that every single person that has dismissed Kimura’s grievance is a more loyal fan than they were yesterday.

Why would anybody reach out to her? That would eliminate the potential for extra publicity via controversy.

funkfoot wrote:
To be serious for a second, if anyone is trying to "exploit" a situation here, it would be more likely the person doing magazine interviews years after the fact and continues to sell yearly PPV memorial shows of her late daughter rather than a writer who hasn't said anything at all about the subject. I mean, this whole interview and publicity did drop right when "pinx! went up for order on FiteTV. Free advertising, if nothing else. Who exactly is exploiting Hana Kimura's death here again?

You know, one of the things the shitty Internet people in this week’s episode say is “she’s just faking her pain for attention”.
ViviP

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
I use the present tense because this isn't over. There are still options. For one thing, anime episodes get edited all the time for BD releases.

By editing the blurays they would be able to put on a face of contrition whist also erasing the past. And since enough time would have past the mob would have long since dissipated after getting bored, so no danger of becoming the new target.

I think you found the smartest move, publicity from a controversy, loyal toxic fans and no repercussions.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:47 pm Reply with quote
When the mother claims they used the same messages, was there anything highly specific in nature dealing with her daughter in particular that couldn't be applied to anyone else?

Or is she referring to general generic messages that happen to be the same as the ones sent to her daughter, but really are so broad that they could apply to practically any other incident of online bullying and hate brigading?

If the latter, then she really has no case to complain, sad and traumatic as it might be, no story teller can be faulted for imitating generic phrases and content from real life.

If it was the former, and there were some very explicitly things lifted verbatim that were unique to her daughter's case, then I can see how that might be upsetting. And while I still don't think she has any legal case against anyone lifting it for artistic expression, I can understand being upset over it.
庶民

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:54 pm Reply with quote
funkfoot wrote:

Well, the thing is Aka Akasaka kinda have mentioned the subject:

Quote:
How much of the story's overall plot did you have in mind when you started drawing the first chapter?

Aka Akasaka: For me, the plots of the first act and the final act were a set. Then I pondered what kind of events I wanted to add in between. I had the impression that Japanese entertainment manga in Japan often used dramas, movies, plays, variety shows, etc. as themes. Today, however, the entertainment industry has changed dramatically. Talents [entertainers who frequently appear on TV in Japan] can no longer ignore the internet, YouTube has become super popular, movies are watched with subtitles, plays are increasingly based on anime and manga, and there has been an instance of a suicide stemming from a reality show. Considering all those facts, I then decided to take a contemporary subject, something that is happening in the real world of Japanese entertainment today. That was the first concept.

You are free to try to prove about what suicide he was refering if not the one of Hana Kimura.

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2023-05-10/how-accurate-is-oshi-no-ko-about-the-japanese-entertainment-industry-an-interview-with-aka-akasaka/.197795
ViviP

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:49 pm Reply with quote
庶民 wrote:
funkfoot wrote:

Well, the thing is Aka Akasaka kinda have mentioned the subject:

Quote:
How much of the story's overall plot did you have in mind when you started drawing the first chapter?

Aka Akasaka: For me, the plots of the first act and the final act were a set. Then I pondered what kind of events I wanted to add in between. I had the impression that Japanese entertainment manga in Japan often used dramas, movies, plays, variety shows, etc. as themes. Today, however, the entertainment industry has changed dramatically. Talents [entertainers who frequently appear on TV in Japan] can no longer ignore the internet, YouTube has become super popular, movies are watched with subtitles, plays are increasingly based on anime and manga, and there has been an instance of a suicide stemming from a reality show. Considering all those facts, I then decided to take a contemporary subject, something that is happening in the real world of Japanese entertainment today. That was the first concept.

You are free to try to prove about what suicide he was refering if not the one of Hana Kimura.

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2023-05-10/how-accurate-is-oshi-no-ko-about-the-japanese-entertainment-industry-an-interview-with-aka-akasaka/.197795

Thanks for posting that, I dropped the manga so I never bothered reading that interview.

Quote:
What is your process for designing new characters? Were there ever any disagreements on how a character should look?

Aka Akasaka: For the main characters, I draw a rough sketch and send it to a lady in charge of storyboards. However, at times Mengo-sensei draws an entire character even without me providing the finer details in writing. Sometimes, the process is more interactive, like I became fond of the character and increase the frequency with which they appear. I like that style of character creation. If there is a problem with the character design, we discuss it and change it. However, it was only once that we actually made a change. That was when I modeled a character off a real person, and the design looked too much like the person in question. 【Oshi No Ko】 uses pieces of real-life stories in its plots, but it is not a documentary, and it definitely does not intend to attack real people. I adapt events that could happen with the trends and rules of the current entertainment industry in the storylines. This work is fiction.

Is also pretty relevant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5