• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: LiSA Enters the Spider-Verse for Japan-Exclusive Theme Song, Jacket Art

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoltan Kakler

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:46 pm Reply with quote
TokimekiCrisis wrote:
I mean, even people have pointed out how Across the Spider-Vers is letting Peter have a family and acknowledging Mayday while Marvel Comics themselves seems to just be so against the idea of Peter being a family man.

I wouldn't read too charitably into that myself. The marketing for the film is doing a lot of stuff like saying "Miles Morales IS Spider-Man" while Peter gets billed as "Mayday's dad". I think they're using Mayday mostly as a gag for him. The Spiderverse films are ultimately about Miles. Peter is just along for the ride. Miles even has to be the one to teach Peter what being Spider-Man is all about because Peter didn't know. I'm sure Marvel would love nothing more than to fully replace Peter with Miles at this point, but the numbers just aren't there. So we get team-ups.

Egan Loo wrote:
Citation please. How many "floppy" single issues a comic series sells in the direct market is balanced (or outweighed) by how much a series' graphic novels sell in general bookstores and elsewhere.

I mean, we have the numbers and turns out superhero comics sell quite poorly in general bookstores and other markets.

"Depending on your exact definitions of intended audiences, it appears that fifteen of the Top Twenty is intended for children or middle readers. The other five of the Top Twenty are Manga, and if you are looking for a “Marvel / DC-style superhero” comic, you are not even in the top two hundred-and-fifty! In fact, the first DC superhero comic to appear is at #257 with Batman: Year One. Jinkies! As for Marvel? Their very first appearance isn’t until all the way down at #483 with Moon Knight by Lemire & Smallwood!

483rd, and that was with the Disney+ Moon Knight series boost. The actual number according to the article was 17,000 for that Moon Knight TPB, By comparison Moon Knight could get up to at least 20K in floppies in 2022 before ICv2 stopped reporting actual sales numbers. Those floppy sales are the bulk of what Marvel and DC rely on at the end of the day. That's why when you go into any book store one shelf is dedicated to superhero TPBs while the other 11 cases are dedicated towards manga and other graphic novels.

ICV2 doesn't report actual numbers anymore, at least not without making you pay to see them, but their monthly superhero focused rankings shows what's at the top of the small pond and it's mostly DC stuff so it lines up with the numbers we have for 2022. At least DC is doing comparatively a lot better than Marvel is on the storefront market.

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/54102/april-2023-circana-bookscan-top-20-author-manga-superhero-graphic-novels
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Zoltan Kakler wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
Citation please. How many "floppy" single issues a comic series sells in the direct market is balanced (or outweighed) by how much a series' graphic novels sell in general bookstores and elsewhere.

I mean, we have the numbers and turns out superhero comics sell quite poorly in general bookstores and other markets.

You cut the original nested quote. The request was not for a citation on how superhero comics in general sold in 2022 (the entire U.S. print market dipped in 2022), but a citation for a poster's claim that Kamala Khan was "selling only a few thousand copies for the longest time."

As Comics Beat notes, its NPD BookScan-based coverage "obviously only includes books sold through the venues that report to NPD BookScan – it certainly doesn’t include sources of sales like, for example, school library purchases, or direct-to-consumer sales through things like the Scholastic book fairs. In some cases, those numbers could potentially be many multiples of the retail trade."

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marvel-not-cancel-lowest-selling-comics/

Last edited by Egan Loo on Sat May 27, 2023 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Zoltan Kakler wrote:
I wouldn't read too charitably into that myself. The marketing for the film is doing a lot of stuff like saying "Miles Morales IS Spider-Man" while Peter gets billed as "Mayday's dad". I think they're using Mayday mostly as a gag for him. The Spiderverse films are ultimately about Miles. Peter is just along for the ride. Miles even has to be the one to teach Peter what being Spider-Man is all about because Peter didn't know. I'm sure Marvel would love nothing more than to fully replace Peter with Miles at this point,

I mean, if they were angling to replace Peter Parker then they really messed up by having him be in three huge, blockbuster live-action movies, not to mention integrating him into the biggest movie franchise of the last decade.

Also I'm not sure how you got "Miles IS spider-man" out of Spider-verse when the first movie ends on Miles saying to the audience:

"Anyone can wear the mask. You can wear the mask. If you didn't know that before, I hope you do now. because I'm Spider-man. And I'm not the only one. Not by a long shot."
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:46 pm Reply with quote
TokimekiCrisis wrote:
I mean, even people have pointed out how Across the Spider-Vers is letting Peter have a family and acknowledging Mayday while Marvel Comics themselves seems to just be so against the idea of Peter being a family man.

If that were the case Spider-Girl would've never became a series, nor renew your vows, or Spider-Man Bloodline. Each of which involve Peter juggling his heroism and his parental responsibilities.

This take also comes off funny given the reaction to Mary Jane's adopted kids disappearing in the most recent storyline encapsulating how hypocritical these specific Spider-Man fans are. Peter or Mary Jane having kids only matters if they're their biological kids.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2