• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Game Gets Remake for PS5

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:19 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Game was neither pointless nor inferior.

RE4 Remake got rid of a ton of stuff while adding in pointless crap like knife durability. Then you got worse controls, worse voice acting, toning down fanservice.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:04 pm Reply with quote
"Master Collection Volume 1" makes me wonder if a port of MGS4 could be in the works. That'd be big.
OncelostLu

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:38 am Reply with quote
Same, I don't have my copy anymore and haven't played 4 since it came out. Would love to give it another go.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:20 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
I think anyone that blindly hates Konami at this point is just doing it out of habit at this point. It's not as if Kojima didn't garner some ill will himself after Death Stranding and some of his other decisions he made prior to his departure. I didn't care for the open world aspect of MGSV myself.

The complaints towards Konami are still going on, although it's difficult to differentiate whether they are made out of habit, or whether people are really unaware of their current situation. The first thing people mention is their pachinko division, but their gaming division is still the one that generates the most revenue, the thing is that Konami has abandoned the development of AAA games and has focused on smaller games that bring more revenue, for example Momotaro Dentetsu has become their most successful game in Japan and eBaseball and eFootball are still doing very well. I guess their recent game compilations and the Silent Hill 2 and MGS3 remakes are just an easy way to still generate profit and to remain relevant. All those rumors about them or their IPs being bought don't make much sense.

Shay Guy wrote:
"Master Collection Volume 1" makes me wonder if a port of MGS4 could be in the works. That'd be big.

From what I've heard, MGS4 would be difficult to port because it was developed with specific features for the PS3, some say it would be better to remake the game from scratch. Other say the game has plenty of rights issues, like Snake controlling a mech using a PS3 controller, Otacon making a reference to Blu-Ray and having an original iPod. Though that kind of reminds me people who said Persona 5 couldn't be ported to other consoles because there was a character who had a PS Vita, don't know if they removed it from the Switch and Xbox versions.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Chris Handsome wrote:
adding in pointless crap like knife durability.

I won’t lie when I found out the Knife had a durability meter I wasn’t high on it either but given how often you’ll use the knife which is actually useful to time around makes sense. Plus you can unlock an unbreakable knife pretty easily.
juaifan

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:20 pm Reply with quote
As far as MGS3 goes, there's plenty of things they could remove in the name of modern western sensibilities. The series certainly has had it's share of detractors and antis over the years like the infamous Quiet discourse from gaming sites. I don't know if Konami is as westernized as CAPCOM is as the only experience I have with them lately is Yu-Gi-Oh! and that's routinely ignored complaints from the west and continues to do their own thing but that could just very well be the YGO department and not the rest of them. I suppose we'll wait and see, but the track record for these kinds of things is generally not the best. We already have news that the collection of older games are going to have altered content due to copyright.

Concerning RE4, I know people have to pretend Ada's voice wasn't bad now because of the backlash the VA got and now it's uncouth to point it out, but even the biggest Capcom shills and YouTubers that were promoting the game pointed out the bad acting in their reviews. Even if some of them tried to walk it back afterwards and pretend they never said that to avoid association.

I was more bummed by the characterization and dialog than the actual voices. I can accept voices changing, and RE was always about cheesy voice acting. But removing stuff like the calls from Salazar and funny banter between the characters was sorely missed. Baby Napoleon Salazar was a way better character overall.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 6:47 pm Reply with quote
juaifan wrote:
I mean, I know people have to pretend Ada's voice wasn't bad now because of the backlash the VA got and now it's uncouth to point it out,

She does sounds like an old lady but otherwise Gao’s fine. Not “pretending” to like here,

juaifan wrote:
but even the biggest Capcom shills and YouTubers that were promoting the game pointed out the bad acting in their reviews.

Sure hope that these same people aren’t apart of the braintrust that was bemoaning the jettisoning of the cheesier parts of the game’s dialog.

As that would be ironic but either way it’s not a complaint worth taking seriously.

juaifan wrote:
I can accept voices changing, and RE was always about cheesy voice acting.

Resident Evil was never about cheesy voice acting that’s why they moved away from it starting with the RE1 remake. It’s also why some people don’t look back too fondly on the English dubs for MegaMan X4, MegaMan 8, or MegaMan X7.

juaifan wrote:
Baby Napoleon Salazar was a way better character overall.

His character personality wise in the remake is largely the exact same as it was in the original. The fact that you mention “Baby Napoleon Salazar” seems to suggest you liked Salazar in the original game because he wore a hat that looked like it had a wig attached to it. Memories also hazy but Salazar’s Napoleon complex was also never played up or mentioned in the original game whereas it is in the remake.
TokimekiCrisis

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 5:12 pm Reply with quote
It'd be really interesting if Konami goes full dark horse here and bucks the trend of what modern remakes have become known for. They already confirmed bringing back the original English VA cast, including David Hayter, which already makes it more faithful than most of its peers. Konami does have a chance to show they're different and surprise people. But then I remember they gave the Silent Hill 2 remake to Bloober Team and then I temper my expectations.

For what it's worth Konami is still embracing sex appeal with zero shame in their other video game and merchandise divisions like their various Pachislots, Bombergirl, and Yu-Gi-Oh. They certainly have no qualms milking Black Magician Girl and Aqua merchandise for years on end. Maybe we can get some new Metal Gear figures now...
Zoltan Kakler

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Just don't take out the crotch grab, the ladder, the killing the old man by leaving your game console on, the EVA bikini, the KUWABARA KUWABARA, or any of the other fun stuff about the original game. That's all I ask Don't try to make it serious and boring.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 3:03 am Reply with quote
B-But it’s already serious to begin with…..that and the ladder segment is one of the most boring segments in the original game.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
I think anyone that blindly hates Konami at this point is just doing it out of habit at this point. It's not as if Kojima didn't garner some ill will himself after Death Stranding and some of his other decisions he made prior to his departure. I didn't care for the open world aspect of MGSV myself.

Nah... There is good reason to be mad at Konami.

We know this given the fact that it wasn't just Kojima who departed... the BULK of Kojima Productions staff also left Konami (at major risk to their careers) and joined Kojima, including top talent like Yoji Shinkawa. We also know that Kojima had trouble getting insurance for his employees because Konami was creating pressure. Just look up the topic of how Konami treats "ex-Kons" and their own employees.

The open-world aspect of MGSV and the reaction of the FOX Engine were greenlit by Konami and put under Kojima in an attempt to bring Konami up to the standards of video game creation in the west. Everyone from Capcom with Phanta Rhei to Square Enix with Crystal Tools were attempting to develop their own internal engines as Japan was falling behind during the PS3 generation.

FOX was a long term investment in an engine for Konami without having to pay licensing fees and lack of total engineering control towards some third party engine, and Epic's UnReal didn't have the kind of Japanese support back then as they now do. It would be silly to fault Kojima for Engine expense and issues that even Capcom and Square Enix couldn't accomplish.

The fact was that post MGS4, they needed better streaming tech to get past the load-section areas of previous Metal Gear games, and it made seense to build an engine that could accommodate Open-World design. Ground Zeroes wide-linear design was fantastic, and I wish Kojima stuck to that design rather than attempting full open-world, which was obviously difficult and they came up far short of what GZ promised as a test case.

But that was the mandate from Konami, and Kojima in interviews says that while he wished he could've had his new IP proposals green-lit, he had no choice but to work under older established IP, which is why he said he would now be willing to ignore canon and do new things that were not traditional of Metal Gear Solid, and also was very excited to finally work on something else like Silent Hills.

While there are many who didn't dig Death Stranding, there are many who do. The game is a sales success, a sequel is happening, and many developers have praised aspects of the game. It is just as irrational to hate Kojima just because he went out of his way to try and make a game that was different from what exists on the market.

So it's not blind hate against Konami. But I do believe in allowing Konami room to improve themselves, and that there could've been internal squabbles and negotiations between both sides, which is completely normal. And I also agree that hating the company's practices and judging the quality of their games are two different things.
i got the shivers!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:38 am Reply with quote
The funny thing about all this is Kojima was the one who demanded Twin Snakes be all over-the-top and crazy while the rest of the team wanted a more faithful remake of the first Metal Gear Solid. I didn't mind Twin Snakes myself, but I know a lot of people hated it for what it did so I think it's for the best Kojima isn't involved if that was peoples reception to that game. Also got to say it seems kinda hypocritical to see people insist Kojima needs to be involved in this case but every time people brought up how Shinji Mikami wasn't involved in the remakes of Resident Evil 2, 3, or 4, or other modern remakes don't involve the original creators or team it wasn't a big deal and their complaints were dismissed. Even people in the industry like Geoff Keighley trying to pick a fight with the official Metal Gear Solid Twitter account announcement over this apparent "snub".

Anyway, It turns out when Konami said they're using the original voice actors, they mean it. They're using the actual original dialog for the remake, not getting the actors back to recording new dialog and lines or anything. Using the actual original dialog audio. Hopefully that's a sign they really mean it when they say faithful and it's just the old game with modern graphics and technology. I approve. I suppose they could still cut some lines out, but at least we wont get new, rewritten dialog at the very least!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2