• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AKIRA theories (BEWARE OF SPOILERS!!!) :D

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordAkira2019

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I've watched the movie 10 times by now, but there's still one thing I don't quite understand: Why does Tetsuo mutate? I have a theory on this, but I don't know if it's correct. My theory is that when Kaneda shoots Tetsuo with the laser rifle, his body can't take the hit and the mutation seems to be somewhat of a self-defense mechanism... Any theories from you guys?
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was just that he was so powerful ,and he couldn't control it, that he mutated.
InSeRtNaMeHeRe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:03 pm Reply with quote
haha i was wondering that too lol i thought it had sumthing to do with when the scientist said that his power was breaking free too fast or sumthing...because remember his arm was mutating before kaneda shot him...maybe it was the wierd arm mecha arm he shoulda ditched it lol i would watch it again but my stupid sister recorded over it Crying or Very sad
ChichiriMuyo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I dont think the laser is the cause, though it could be the triggering event. What it seems to be is that his power is becomeing too much for his body as it is, so to make up for that his body physically expands. The mutation noticably turns him into an infant looking... thing, which brings back to my mind the discussion about amoeba and power and what not when kanaeda and kei are in the cell in the military facility. The power is in all things, and the powers tetsuo has are that of a less evolved state than akira's are. In this sense it seems like he is in a way "de-evolving" at the same time his body is expanding to contain his rapidly increasing powers.

Yeah...anyway, the manga has a way better story even if its not as thought provoking (both are so great).
LordAkira2019

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Yea his medication must have worn off, those "capsules" the doctor gave him. Another question: Why are the Espers blue? I think their skin color is a side effect of the medication and the fact that they look like kids.
InSeRtNaMeHeRe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:36 pm Reply with quote
why are they blue? how bout why are they shriveled? lol
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:32 pm Reply with quote
what I always wanted to know was in Return of the Jedi if Luke is a good Jedi than why did he have dark robes on? I think there like that cause the creators wanted them to be like that.

maybe they where blue and shriveled cause they kept them inside and did tests on them and probably shot them with lots o' drugs.
TriggerZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:34 pm Reply with quote
i thinks it relates to real life
InSeRtNaMeHeRe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:43 am Reply with quote
yeah but then in the flashback they showed all the kids with akira...and akira was in the past right? so that would make those kids very old...but then why didn't they just grow they still look like kids only old and shriveled lol
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:07 am Reply with quote
OK, can we ban colored text?

This colored text is forged by Lucifer himself!

-Zac
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:02 am Reply with quote
I'm still not sure, I've watched the movie too many times to count, and even read the manga about a dozen times... hopefully it will make sense some dya Confused
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:00 am Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
what I always wanted to know was in Return of the Jedi if Luke is a
good Jedi than why did he have dark robes on? I think there like that cause the creators wanted
them to be like that.

One theory is that its because Luke brings balance to the force.Remember the prophecies predicted that somebody would bring balance to the force and everybody thought it would be
Anakin which in a way it is because he helps bring Luke into the world.Luke has one mechanical hand and one real hand which could symbolize that he has one hand in the dark and the other in the light.He also wields a green lightsaber when traditionally Jedi have blue and the sith have red but thats been demolished by EP 1 and 2.Previosly in the Star Wars universe there were always more jedi than sith which could be why there was an imbalance in the force.By the end of the Star Wars saga Luke is the only remaining Jedi/Sith and as of such its possible to see Luke as a merging of both the light and dark.As for the espers being young and shriveled its obviously because of the experiments they have been put through over the years.Also Tetsuo mutates because he cant control his power as that amount of power is meant for an evolved being.
BlueRaven12

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:03 pm Reply with quote
InSeRtNaMeHeRe wrote:
why are they blue? how bout why are they shriveled? lol

I don't know why they're blue but they're shriveled because they're supposed to be really old. The three of them were in the project back when it first started which was a while back. It's been a year or two since I read the manga, but the old lady who runs the religious sect opposing Akira says that she fell into a coma during the project and the coma lasted 20 years. When she woke up, she lost her sight, etc, and started the religious sect.
Based on her words, it's been 20+ years since the start of the project plus lots of years for the building of the sect's kick-ass temple and growth of it's belief (plus the training of her own psychic priests). In total, you may have 50-60 years, which means those 3 psychics are in their late 50s or early 60s, hence their old apprearances.

And why are they do they look like old children? That's because their abilities were artificially activated and it caused side effects. I guess it halted bone growth but didn't stunt anything else.
thebaron

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:

One theory is that its because Luke brings balance to the force.Remember the prophecies predicted that somebody would bring balance to the force and everybody thought it would be
Anakin which in a way it is because he helps bring Luke into the world.Luke has one mechanical hand and one real hand which could symbolize that he has one hand in the dark and the other in the light.He also wields a green lightsaber when traditionally Jedi have blue and the sith have red but thats been demolished by EP 1 and 2.Previosly in the Star Wars universe there were always more jedi than sith which could be why there was an imbalance in the force.By the end of the Star Wars saga Luke is the only remaining Jedi/Sith and as of such its possible to see Luke as a merging of both the light and dark.As for the espers being young and shriveled its obviously because of the experiments they have been put through over the years.Also Tetsuo mutates because he cant control his power as that amount of power is meant for an evolved being.

Actually I believe that Luke's father brings balance to force. I sure Lucas just pulled that out of his Ass like the rest of "second" series toy commerical....

There were thousands of Jedi and VERY few Dark Jedi, very unbalanced. Luke's father joins the Emperor and helps slaughter 95% of the Jedi. Now more balanced ;)

back to Akira:

I believe that his powers were continue to grow due to the fact that his powers were caused by accidential awakening and lack of the drugs which prevent huge growth and stabilize their powers. He might have reached Akira's power level or exceeded, but could have caused greater damage due to lack of control.

Of course I highly recommend reading the Manga and consider the movie an interesting, but lack luster telling of the tale....
LordAkira2019

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:06 am Reply with quote
The Espers are approximately 54 years old. I asked about Akira, not Star Wars! Laughing And did anyone see Minority Report? Those "Precogs" in my opinion, were ripped right out of Akira.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2