• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: 8 Anime Parents You'd Call Child Services On

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etrien

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Gotta jump on the "Kotetsu's not a bad dad! Sad" train. Really, I think Ryu Shoji summed it up pretty well, so I'll just add that I think his case really has more to do with unfortunate circumstances than genuine neglect or irresponsibility. I think given the circumstances he does a good job and tries the best he can. The only times I can think of we've seen him "neglect" her, it was because he was fighting to save the city. Unfortunate for her, perhaps, but I can't really call that irresponsible.

For worst parent of the last 5 or so years, though, I personally think Umineko's Kinzo Ushiromiya takes the gold. (Pun not intended but retroactively appreciated.) Not only does the anime (ergo first four arcs) give us enough to raise him to the level of the "greats" (Gendo, Charles), the likely-never-to-be-animated final arcs absolutely cement this position.

His only "redemptive" factor is perhaps that he shows some remorse for some of the things he's done, particularly spoiler[how his final ambition is to apologize and make amends for what he considers to be his greatest mistake as a father.]

A "Best Parent" list would be interesting just due to the rarity of candidates. Might need to extend beyond five years for that...
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I already new Emperor Charles would be number #1 on that list. Way worse than any of those other parents. Though I do also think that a couple of other bad parents could have made it on the list. For one, I noticed someone mention Shou Tucker from Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood earlier in the thread. Now that's definitely someone who should've been on that list. He was way worse than anything Maka's dad from Soul Eater could've done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Pfft, spoiler[Head/Reiji] from Star Driver should be on that list Laughing

Best dad ever.
But I guess mentioning him would be too spoiler-ish in general.
DoktorZetsubou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I haven't seen the entire series yet, but I'm assuming that at some point they actually have sex change operations. Up to the point I saw, they were just crossdressing.

I think Racheldoublemm did a great job of replying to this, but I'd also like to add that being transgender just means identifying as a gender other than the sex you were born as- it doesn't necessarily mean getting a sex-change operation.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:20 am Reply with quote
DoktorZetsubou wrote:
Excuse me if this is somewhat off-topic but the characters from Hourou Musuko / Wandering Son should absolutely not be counted as "crossdressers"- being transgender is very different from "crossdressing".
While I'm aware that this is just an anime and I'm sure you're not trying to make a statement about gender identity, it is still extremely rude to transgender individuals as a whole to include characters from a series that is specifically about the struggles of transgender youth in a list of "crossdressers".
I would like to request that you remove those two from the list.

I made a similar statement when this poll first came up, the only characters I consider to be true crossdressers are Kuranosuke of Princess Jellyfish and Mako of Minami-ke since they both just love the clothes/appearance. I myself rank in the middle of most gender-identity tests I have taken and spent quite a bit of time sorting through my own gender-identity. All the same, I was quite happy to learn of this poll's existence, despite the errors in definition.

PS I was so peeved I could not see all of Wandering Son, fully hoping for a 26-ep show at least but am happy the manga has been licensed for us fans of transgender topics in the United States. And Princess Jellyfish, of course. Hooray, we get both ends of the spectrum!
ralphmerridew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:54 am Reply with quote
Does Teppei Hojo count? (His episodes in Tatarigoroshi-hen were 5 years and 1 month ago, but the Minagoroshi-hen episodes were in bounds. And even if he's Satoko's uncle, he does have direct custody.)
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
I think Victorique's dad in Gosick deserves to be on the list. There isn't anything that I can think of that he did that wasn't evil and wrong in regard to his daughter...

Ohana's mom in Hanasaku Iroha is also a good candidate, but she might redeem herself in the end...
TG72

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
Worst I've ever seen was the dad mentioned from Shigofumi
The worst this year has to be Gosick's Albert du Blois

I wouldn't remove him from custody, but Sousuke's mom Lisa in Ponyo could use a chat with CPS after: spoiler[driving her son across the road through a tsunami] and then spoiler[leaving two five year olds by themselves in the middle of the night DURING A MASSIVE TYPHOON to go in to work] Shocked Confused

I vote Stein;s Gate as the best of the Spring, but I haven't seen AnoHana yet Crying or Very sad
Emily82LenFangirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote
Someone Probably beat me too it, but there are so many comments, TL;DR Anime hyper Shou Tucker from FMA and FMAB turned his own daughter into a monster so he didn't have to go broke. That deserves some credit on this list Anime hyper
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I add a vote for Marquis De Blois, as well as support for Kotetsu as a busy-but-trying-to-be-involved dad. He's not a great father, maybe even a rather lousy one, but he isn't abusive or even neglectful.

As for those of you offering spoiler[Mr. Legend] in his place, I am pretty sure Gia wrote this before episode 16 premiered. How can she write about a parent who, until that episode, we didn't even know was a parent?
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
escahime65 wrote:
I feel the need to comment on one small detail. How did you find out the first name of Kyoko's mom in Skip Beat? I can't find where it is ever mentioned.

Also, definitely have to agree with Charles as the #1 worst parent.

I was surprised by that too. I don't recall that from the manga. It may be from the anime, since anime sometimes add little details that the manga doesn't have.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I may be just too old school... but how does Saotome Genma not make this list! Took the child out of school, on the road, dropped him in a pit of hungry cats with fish sausage wrapped around him, repeatedlly, to name only one of the worst things! Just one! This list goes on and on. I say Ranma 1/2 for the win!

A lot of Takahashi's works have some pretty amazingly bad parents in them too, look at the more recent Rin-Ne, which does not (yet) have an anime adaption.

[edit] oh... last five years. Ok... gotcha. Wait for the anime adaption of Rin-Ne (you know it is coming).
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Judging from the title of the list, I really think Kotetsu shouldn't be on it. Other people have already said it, but still. Like you said, it's not his fault, but it's certainly not a case of neglect. He calls her, tries to make plans, and obviously cares about her very much. It's just a case of unfortunate circumstances.

Plus, superhero or not, I think spoiler[being in the middle of a bridge bombing or other such thing] is a pretty legitimate excuse for not managing to make it over.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I remember at least one review that questioned Sousuke's mother's parenting skills in Ponyo.

So does this mean Seki turns out to be a decent parent in the last half of Arakawa Under the Bridge? Because making your 3 yr old take care of one to pay one back for the debt of taking care of the child, telling that child at the age of 3 that because dad washed Ko's hair yesterday, Ko will wash dad's hair today & never again will daddy do anything for Ko is pretty seriously messed up. (I mean, that line about his father's warmth washing down the drain seriously reminded me of the line in Threads of Time where the boy realizes a mother's touch can actually be warm instead of cold like a snake) I'm halfway through the set (7 eps/about 60 chapters). Even Whitey who left his wife & kid 6 yrs ago because of his obsession about walking on white lines sounds like more of a contender than Maka's dad in Soul Eater.

Really, there are some seriously messed up parents in anime & manga. So many, I really don't notice them any longer. Reiji's parents in Gatekeepers, though that's too old stand out. I alwayus wondered, as a parent, where the hell Ash's parents were in fricken Pokemon. "Sure son. Traipse around the wilderness trying to catch wild animals. No problem" REALLY? HE'S 10, FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE.

On the crossdressing side, Nuriko, for whatever reason, does identify with being female. In Eikoden isn't he reincarnated as a female so he can be with Hotohori? Hotohori is probably more crossdressing, less in women's clothes, but come on, using the excuse he has no use for his concubine because he's more beautiful than any of them? Tomo, on the other hand, is homosexual. Nakago is bi as I recall. I blame reclusive shojo authors with no experience with these issues in real life & neither do much seem to expend much effort comprehending the subjects.

Rescued by the Prince, Utena decides on the spot she is going to grow up to be a Prince, not marry a Prince as the usual little girl would decide. I see her as transgendered rather than a feminist.

Mille Fuelle/Sorcerer Hunters, on the other hand, I think qualifies for crossdressing. He is bi & there's no indication he is unhappy as a man, but he usually dresses pretty frilly.

There's also Ms Aki/Abenoboshi & Sister/Arakawa on the crossdressing front, though Ms Aki might be transgendered. Since it was a comedy, the title didn't really explore the idea too deeply. There's Kazuki/GetBackers who comments his art sent him into a more feminine carriage, yet he's definitely male/not transgendered. Ranka/Ouran is also a crossdresser by profession.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Rescued by the Prince, Utena decides on the spot she is going to grow up to be a Prince, not marry a Prince as the usual little girl would decide. I see her as transgendered rather than a feminist.

Except that she adamantly insists in the series that she doesn't want to be a boy, which would indicate she's not transgendered; instead she aspires to be Princely rather than Princess-ly, to be the hero rather than the damsel in distress. Of course, the series as a whole is more post-gender, that categories restrict us, and the fairy tale model in particular, but that would get into some major spoiler territory to discuss. My point is: you may see her transgender, but you would have little support from the series itself.

If we're going to go down this path of complaining about last week's poll, I'd also point out in real live d'Eon absolutely identified as female, and even got France to official recognize "him" as a woman. Except in the anime they give him a dead sister who did all the cool stuff (while he was a wimp) who then possesses his body thereby getting rid of an awesome transgendered superspy hero and I hate that series so much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6