• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: 8 Anime Parents You'd Call Child Services On

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Stein's Gate Best Spring anime, Kinzo Ushiromiya for worst parent Anime hyper
strawberrypoison

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quote
Totally agree with everyone defending Kotetsu from Tiger & Bunny, spoiler[ Mr. Legend is a much much better choice ]. Also, indeed, Kinzo from Umineko should with no doubt be here, and maybe Rosa too. Reiji, I pity him, but he deserves to be in this list.
I'm not so sure about Spirit. I mean, yes, he's not perfect, but he cares about Maka. Besides, he's not so bad you would need to call Child Services, I think.

I would love to see a "best parent" list too! That would be harder to come up with (Can I suggest Shiro from Ao no Exorcist? Anime hyper Ok, might not be the best choice, but I think he's a cool dad. Besides I like how in the latest episodes spoiler[ Shura mentions that Shiro wasn't taming a demon, but was raising a son] and how we see it in bits throughout the story.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:09 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Except that she adamantly insists in the series that she doesn't want to be a boy, which would indicate she's not transgendered; instead she aspires to be Princely rather than Princess-ly, to be the hero rather than the damsel in distress. Of course, the series as a whole is more post-gender, that categories restrict us, and the fairy tale model in particular, but that would get into some major spoiler territory to discuss. My point is: you may see her transgender, but you would have little support from the series itself.

Except we're also talking about a series that was made about 15 yrs ago when the whole idea of transgendered didn't figure too commonly into the average Japanese cartoon. We're talking about a nation where they often seem to think one can "turn gay" so I often look at the story & not the way the author presents it since so many of these manga-ka seem exceptionally sheltered from the real world.
Isn't it considered shojo? So it's constricted by shojo rules to a certain extent. Have to pander to the audience, rght? Couldn't make the lead so far out there that the late '90's audience couldn't relate.
Were the story being told today, it very possibly would be a very different tale. I do detect a certain amount of male fantasy to the character which I put on the series director. (The male writers writing their ideal of female superheroines which aren't therefore necessarily realistic female characters thing)
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
So one person whines about something offending them and it must get changed? Ah political correctness at its finest. So tiresome worrying about offending someone with every single thing one says. If I say I was offended that they were removed from the rankings, will they get put back in? Razz

For those that were asking, you can see where Shuichi and Yoshino ranked by looking at the change history at the bottom of the article. It shows the original article before it was edited. Shuichi got 9th with 4.2% and Yoshino got 16th with 1.4%.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Six pages already and no mention of the worst (and the most awesome) mother on earth, spoiler[Tsubasa Nishikiori]? (Shin Mazinger spoiler)? For shame!
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad it's only for the last 5 years; Fate's mom from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha would definitely be a high ranker.
DoktorZetsubou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
So one person whines about something offending them and it must get changed? Ah political correctness at its finest. So tiresome worrying about offending someone with every single thing one says. If I say I was offended that they were removed from the rankings, will they get put back in? Razz

I'd really like to politely and intelligently explain to you why it's a wonderful thing that Zac was willing to remove the characters from the list and why it matters that it was offensive in the first place, but right now I'm too busy being baffled by the fact that there are still people who are smug about being insensitive.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Although there are some pretty good contenders, I'd say Daikichi Kawachi is a parent that I think should also be on that list.

Given spoiler[ that he and Rin get married (despite being related to one another) during the end of the manga, it's fair to say that he is worthy of being on that list.]
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
It's too bad it's only for the last 5 years; Fate's mom from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha would definitely be a high ranker.

As some of the Eva fans are doing, you just have to nominate the Nanoha 1st movie, instead. That film was almost more about Fate than about Nanoha (relative to the TV series, anyway). ^_^
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote
Can't really agree with Sanae and Akio from the Clannad franchise being the best Anime parents ever. I mean, they're nice and all, their hearts are in the right place, but they've screwed up big time too.

spoiler[Leaving Nagisa all by herself when she was five years old and sick, almost killing her.]

spoiler[It is worth noting that they always insist for decades afterwards that they "couldn't have missed work" that day, as if substitute teachers didn't exist. Akio would have had it harder to skip work, but even he could have done so if doing otherwise meant leaving his sick five-year-old daughter alone for several hours in the middle of winter. Oh, wait.]

spoiler[Then, not telling Nagisa what had happened even though she was old enough to understand by the time the series started.]

spoiler[Then, not setting her straight before she had her big performance and embarrassed herself in front of everyone.]

In Clannad After Story, spoiler[taking Ushio and all-but leaving Tomoya to stew in a deep and dark depression for five long years, all the while not telling the poor girl anything about her own mother. According to Tomoya, he only saw Ushio but a handful of times before during the timeskip. Really, it is a wonder Ushio turned out as well as she did. Sure, Sanae and Akio showered her with love, but they weren't there for their son-in-law and didn't let the girl bond with her father until it was almost too late.]

So yeah, lovely people, truly, but the decisions they've made are so bad that it would automatically exclude them from any list I would make of the best Anime parents. If you've made a mistake that bad you don't continue to defend it years later. And then you don't make another mistake that is arguably even more horrendous by spoiler[keeping a girl from her daddy. Sure he was messed up, but that's when you support him like a family is supposed to.]
Robotkat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Kotetsu Kaburagi shouldn't be on this list. The man sends his daughter gifts, money, and support, talks with her regularly, but can't see her because he has a dangerous and busy job. I wouldn't call Child Services on him...in fact, I'd love a dad like him. He cares so much about his daughter, but his job is in the way.

Also, Nathan Seymore isn't a "crossdresser". He's a flamboyant man who wears pink, and he too doesn't fit on that list.

Sailor S wrote:

Are you seriously saying that you are offended by how someone pointed out something was offensive to transgendered people? Did this, at any time, sound douchey while you were thinking of typing it out? The fact that you're so smug about this makes me want to punch my monitor.

Sailor S wrote:
So tiresome worrying about offending someone with every single thing one says.

So, a transgendered person is compared to someone who dresses as the opposite sex for fun, and it's pointed out that this is bad. Do you also consider it Overly PC if someone complains about a joke about African-American people and watermelon?
ayashe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
1. Emperor Charles zi Britannia (Code Geass)
Let's see how much we can talk about Charles' terrible relationship with his kids, Lelouch and Nunnally Lamperouge, without spoiling the show for folks who haven't watched it yet. Charles was involved in the murder of his kids' mother, Marianne, then proceeded to banish the children to Japan (renamed Area 11), allowing no contact between himself and his youngest children. He enforces nepotism with all his other kids, born to his many-numbered consorts, regardless of their aptitude for ruling. Oh, and he's a pretty harsh social Darwinist to boot, encouraging competition in the name of supporting only the strong...even when it involves his offspring killing one other. Yeesh.

Did you watch R2? Or did the English dub just change a lot... because R2 showed that most of that isn't true. spoiler[Charles was not involved in Marianne's murder, he had nothing to do with it. His jealous brother V.V. killed Marianne. Charles was weak and while angry with V.V. didn't want to take a stand (of course that's also how Lelouch gets so far). He modified Nunnally's memories, and completely distanced himself from Marianne's children in every sense of he word to keep V.V. away from them (not that that stopped him). His biggest problem is that he's weak (which he projects onto Lelouch who while he looks so much like Marianne, and does have some aspects of her personality, he's more like Charles, so much so that Lelouch's life even mirrors his own), he mostly just goes along with what V.V. and Marianne want, and never gets involved unless he's forced to (usually by V.V.). And in the tug of war between V.V. and Marianne Lelouch and Nunnally are the ones who lose the most (and then the rest of his children). Marianne is a lot worse than Charles in my opinion.] Though typical for a ruler, he is a bad father, but not as bad as people make him out to be. At least not for those reasons.[/spoiler]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6