• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jellyfish Can't Swim in the Night

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FanGamer24

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:40 am Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Aside from the weird boobs scene, episode 7 has been the strongest after the premiere in my opinion. I am liking Jellyfish a lot, but most of the episodes have felt to me that they are missing something. I hope the final 5 episodes ride the momentum from episode 7 and make this show an AOTY contender.

It's funny cause up until now episode 1 was the only episode to really feature much in the way of fanservice. If the show had been more consistent on that front maybe the boob joke wouldn't stand out so much.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:19 am Reply with quote
Eilavel wrote:
Random Name wrote:
Quote:
Why has Yoru brought up last week's kiss only for neither character to meaningfully address it?
I was pretty disappointed that it seems they are just going to sweep it under the rug. I can see them not addressing it again for the entire series and that makes me sad.

Very much not turned out the case, which is as I expected.

The show can be super clumsy but its overall fairly straightforwardly sincere. I don't think its looking to bait stuff like some anime do at all. Those two are just having a slowly developing romance.

A friend of mine described their dynamic as "Mahiru knows Kano's into her and is low-key bullying her about it" which I thought hits pretty well. It's romantic, but it's slow and clumsy and awkward as first romances often are, especially queer ones and ESPECIALLY sapphic ones which have basically two speeds - immediate Uhaul or romantic pining for years.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:57 am Reply with quote
Last week, Jellyfish seemed to be bouncing off Voice actor radio, with the reflection on public and private personas for idols. This week….

Hopefully Kiui won’t turn into the anti-bullying teacher from Mysterious Disappearances.

Will Kano, or Sound Euphonium’s Kumiko figure out what they want to do after high school first? (Also, Sound Euphonium did the bust size thing as well this week.)

(Let’s set Mahiru/Kano vs Kumiko/Reina to one side for the time being.)

Last edited by dm on Mon May 20, 2024 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
both girls discover there's nothing more thrilling and romantic than riding tandem on a motorcycle

At least up until you get pulled over by the police and ticketed because it's illegal to do that after first getting your license Razz .

The funny thing is apparently they threw that in there because there was some controversy over the same thing happening in Super Cub without the girls getting in trouble for it. But not here!
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Azure Chrysanthemum wrote:

A friend of mine described their dynamic as "Mahiru knows Kano's into her and is low-key bullying her about it" which I thought hits pretty well. It's romantic, but it's slow and clumsy and awkward as first romances often are, especially queer ones and ESPECIALLY sapphic ones which have basically two speeds - immediate Uhaul or romantic pining for years.

This assessment of their dynamics is so on point, and I absolutely love it! I really hope they end up together in the end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see it in the episode review, but it is not even jokes as it is hard to read Koharu's interactions with Kiui as anything but flirting, which I do think makes it more than a few random (straight) girls talking about boobs. And we have a direct earlier episode to contrast this to that Kiui reacted much harsher to a man seeing her chest and trying to pick her up.

There is also some sort of undercurrent of identity with Kiui that is being left unsaid. Like that she is apparently purposefully hiding a larger bust behind baggier clothes that hide her figure, and once again talked about being more comfortable interacting through her online mode.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 3:11 pm Reply with quote
School uniform Kiui causes me to wonder if there’s something of a contrast between Kiui (black hair died pink, with backup wig for school) and Mei (reddish hair died black in response to bullying and ostracism).

The opening animation seems to be contrasting the girls’ past and present selves, with, I think, differing evolving relationships between their personas.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Nick's gonna be squandering a very good opportunity if he doesn't call Mahiru "Mahiru" at least once during the review for this week's episode.

Robert Downey Jr.: "He squandered the opportunity."
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:42 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Quote:
both girls discover there's nothing more thrilling and romantic than riding tandem on a motorcycle

At least up until you get pulled over by the police and ticketed because it's illegal to do that after first getting your license Razz .

I have to disagree here, having ridden a motorcycle thousands of miles with a passenger and many more thousands without one. The passenger radically changes the handling of the bike for the worse (the bike goes from wanting to turn to not wanting to turn in), the extra weight requires constantly reminding one's self to change braking markers, and every motion of the passenger makes the bike wobble.

As for being a passenger on a motorcycle in the future, I have high standards in that I will only do it if the rider has won at least one World Championship (being a rider on a World Endurance Championship team counts). But like most riders, I find being a passenger is a terrible experience.
FanGamer24

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 11:26 am Reply with quote
The solution was a little more complicated than just ignore the haters. Waiting a few months did not solve the problem as they had to give up their plans for a live show and ultimately found a way to do a live stream that would hopefully accomplish the same thing they wanted to do with the live show.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 12:58 pm Reply with quote
The two month time jump was done because there's an... as yet... unspoken ticking clock involved in Kano's plans.
No, that's not quite true as it has come up but Kano isn't taking it as seriously as the other three.

Which character's core problem will we reach first? I'm betting on Mei, the crazy stalker fangirl being treated as a friend.... and yes, I have been sitting on my feelings about Mei for awhile We've still as yet see Mei pair off with someone at least once for a little heart to heart.
It's come up in a group session which at best puts Mei on par with a session musician.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Good on Kiui for coming up with a clever and moving solution to the audience-participation angle of the "live concert".

(I'd not figured out the blue-umbrella --> jellyfish aspect of Kano's idea, but, really, I doubt it would be workable in a tiny venue like the one they were able to get.)

I agree with the reviewer's criticisms that the show handles some things really well (mostly the character interactions), but then fumbles when it moves outside the circle of the four main characters. And then there are odds and ends that are significant one episode (take, for example, Koharu, the older woman hitting on the two teens in the motorcycle-class --- what was the point of inserting her into the mix? is her (unwelcome, to my taste) presence going to reappear in the series?). Half the show is very, very good. Half the show is a muddle.
Eilavel

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Definitely the weakest episode of the series so far.

Plot and mechanics focused, which isn't the shows strengths at all. It also brings into focus that while I'm interested in the girls relationships with each other and with art, I essentially have 0 interest in the genre of art they are producing, so when it focuses on the output by itself rather than the interpersonal process around it... dull.

Really, apart from the fact of the doxxing and the call in the last minute, I think this episode is almost entirely material I would have been happier skipping.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 8:10 pm Reply with quote
FanGamer24 wrote:
The solution was a little more complicated than just ignore the haters. Waiting a few months did not solve the problem as they had to give up their plans for a live show and ultimately found a way to do a live stream that would hopefully accomplish the same thing they wanted to do with the live show.

And that's why I found the episode unsatisfying because In my mind they didn't accomplish the same thing they wanted to do with the live show. My interpretation is that the whole reason Kano suggested the group do a live show is that she was nostalgic for the feeling she used to get as an idol playing before fans in a venue and she wanted the other girls to experience the same rush. Doing a livestream is just a pale, virtual imitation of meatspace. If the goal had been different, i.e. Kano suggesting the live performance as a way to increase awareness of JELEE, for example, than I could have cheered for coming up with a workaround. But that wasn't the goal, imo. So yeah, I know the show wanted me to feel a sense of triumph for the girls but I was just bummed out they didn't get the "real" experience that Kano originally wanted them to have.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I think Kano was coming from a little more selfish place.
The episode itself, anyways, wasn't very subtle about its theme: Kano's plan wasn't to relive the grandiosity of a stage, but to connect with fans (in the way she knew how). The purpose of the blue lights and umbrellas wasn't for the sake of a nice stage picture, but for a sense of unison around the central jellyfish theme.
To some extent they achieved that but... well, it's easier to show support in a tweet than it is to actually go to the place with your own umbrella, and there's less of a live interaction and community than there would be at an actual live. Not what the show intended, but it was more of a "get what you can out of this mess" than an actual triumph.

The reason why Kano was being threatened however brought to mind something else - why were the other idols introduced so early? They've done nothing at all with them.

Also, Kiwi's vtuber persona is kind of creeping me out. I can distintively relate that 3D model to the cheap late 90's 3D demos that you kinda often got in cartoons and other media for children. It's a bit uncanny to see that familiar look applied to something else, specially since in the end vtubers gravitated toward live2D technologies way more strongly than 3D (specially indie ones. What kind of rigging is Kiwi using for this?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8