• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Unnamed Memory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 10:28 pm Reply with quote
This week on Unnamed Memory the show where stuff just...kind of happens:

- Time travel where a son prevents his mother from being raped by his father and prevents his birth and gets proposed to by said mother in the process.

- A woman faces the man who killed her husband and decimated her village leaving many children orphans...and ends up caring about him!?

- An anti-mage God arises from a mountain and starts possessing people all because Tinasha stopped a guy from bleeding out.

- Tinasha asks for a precise sword maneuver from Oscar and instead gets gutted for the umpteenth time.

- Engi still won't show a proper kiss.

At least we got cat Tinasha out of this.
SinisterOracle wrote:
I’m confused about the ending of the episode when Oscar informed Tinasha she’s now officially his fiancée (since he apparently thinks he owns her so he can make decisions without her input). She said something like “What about what I want?” and then appeared to just go along with it. Really? That’s all it takes? She’s not going to put up any more resistance? Or is this another thing that was lost in translation by this incredibly riveting adaptation?

I think she's still planning to bail once the contract runs out, though now is probably do or die time for Oscar making her want to stay. We can see that she's now more flustered and happy around him...even if they also skipped over all the natural build up to when we were supposed to get to this point.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 3:36 am Reply with quote
The time travel paradox story was the most interesting part of the episode for me.

I agree that Elze's storyline doesn't make sense. Her sudden revelation before she rushed over to him made me think in the moment that they might tie it to her earlier time travel story, but it's just left unexplained...

Not sure why Tinasha thought it was best to stay as a cat that entire time... Once things started getting serious, wouldn't she have changed back? Instead she just kept hissing as a cat...
Konstantin

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 11:28 am Reply with quote
Oscar: A cat is fine too
Tinasha: I'm done for
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I was very confused when that 'servant of Leonora' appeared. Who on earth is Leonora???????
Glordit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:28 pm Reply with quote
"We erased your memory!

"Oh no! I forgot abo- wait, I remembered because plot armor!!"

At this stage the show is just going through its motions to conclude the series.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I would argue that this is one of the better episodes (far from actually "good" mind you) because it actually focused on the romance and Oscar and Tinasha's relationship rather than...anything else. Because of course focusing on the romance in an adaption of a romance novel is a good idea even if you speedrun through the relationship so much that now reaching the actual culmination of said development just doesn't hit as well as it should.

But hey, at least ENGI can actually draw a kiss now. And flustered and in love Tinasha is cute.

Of course there's still some random plot developments (why are there so many evil maids in the castle? Who is Leonora? That poisoning plot felt anti-climactic).
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Even for this series which hasn't been great, I thought this was a pretty bad one.
The possibility of memories getting erased is casually brought up earlier, presumably to be used once the contract ends, then happens off screen, then is resolved in moments (on screen) later Rolling Eyes
The love counsel session with Tinasha felt like an aggressive intervention where people were telling how she felt rather then helping her realize how she felt.
The poisoning went too fast and we don't really see how it was resolved, just some talk before about how it should work. And then it does.
Even a minor thing like that blonde mage gasping right before Tinasha got poisoned, when she heard that she might die, even though she just heard that in the previous scene?

I'd be surprised if even novel readers are enjoying this cliff notes version adaptation
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Bad as this episode was, I got a howl out of the Oscar jumpscare in Tinasha's crystal ball thing. Genuinely one of the best things of this show for me. Then you have offhand remarks about time being still in Tinasha's body which like, could be conceptually freaky and interesting and is surely better in the LNs, except here comes off as a weird silly comment about her body. Even if she's a witch.

Also, even if I am always be looking for yuri (for those with eyes to see, and all of that), I genuinely feel like beyond having more of a history with Lucrezia, Tinasha has more chemistry with her outright, despite the multiple kisses and brushes with death she and her now-fiance have gone through. Like, even setting aside Oscar having all of the personality of a crumpled tissue.

I can empathize with fans out there upset about this adaptation having been there, but this has pretty much become one of my comedies to follow (when I'm not alternately being upset about how it's yet another to the pile in a dramatically overburdened, ill-supported industry, especially because of how very unanimated and hollow it is).
Jabootu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:41 am Reply with quote
From the review:

Quote:
It's like biting into a chocolate that's supposed to have filling and discovering a space instead of caramel.

OK, that's a pretty great metaphor. Kudos. This show feels like...I don't know. Like there are twice as many episodes but we're only getting to see every other one? (Or seeing only every other scene?) Like we're reading a book but only getting to see the right hand pages?

In a way it's very meta. We can haphazardly follow the general course of things because we've seen enough other stories that we can halfassedly connect scenes and events and motivations that are oddly lacking in connective tissue. Of course the witch and the prince will end up together because, you know, they're the romantic leads of a romance anime. So do we really need to see the formally rigidly reluctant witch fall in love with the prince, or can she abruptly just be in love with him all of a sudden? I mean, we all knew where this was heading, right? So why worry about actually portraying it?

It's very odd. I'd prefer to think this is because of outside limitations forced upon the staff and not just laziness or gross ineptitude on their parts. If so, it would be fascinating to get their candid insights into what it was like working on this show. Of course, such a thing is highly unlikely, but it sure would be interesting.

Last edited by Jabootu on Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:25 am Reply with quote
Anime fans: “ENGI can’t do much worse than it already has with this show.”

ENGI: “Let’s see if episode 9 can get us even more infamy. If not, just wait for episode 10!”

Some random servants we’ve never seen or heard of suddenly have an opinion about who shouldn’t be queen. Tinasha should’ve responded “quiet, you trash!” and kept on walking. Or let said trash die during the random peasant uprising. Either way, they serve no real purpose and are expendable.

Memories are “erased” for all of three seconds, then they somehow return without any explanation whatsoever? Must be nice to have a memory that damn good. I can’t remember what happened last week half the time. I assume this is similar to how Tinasha will become human again in another episode or two. It’ll look like a miracle to those of us without light novel knowledge.

The evil maids have taken over the castle! Whoever is in charge of hiring should just hire eunuchs and gay dudes so the evil maids all become unemployed and the threat to the royal family decreases. The decor around the castle might improve too. Oscar will just have to get over seeing them wear the maid uniforms instead.

Was Oscar, and then Tinasha, really poisoned and near death? Or was this just a severe case of poison ivy? Tinasha never once looked or sounded like she was in pain or on the verge of death. Neither did Oscar for that matter. So, did Oscar have to pee on Tinasha so she wouldn’t itch and be in so much pain? Or did he slather her in meat tenderizer instead? Girl must have been doing her kegel exercises over the years since no bed pan was found nearby.

I just remembered Tinasha has already seen Oscar naked. Hopefully she inspected his package. I’d hate for her to fall in love only to be exposed to a shriveled raisin and that lead to divorce or his death. Gotta protect yourself these days.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
OK, that's a pretty great metaphor. Kudos. This show feels like...I don't know. Like there are twice as many episodes but we're only getting to see every other one? (Or seeing only every other scene?) Like we're reading a book but only getting to see the right hand pages?

Indeed. It heavily reminds me of Metallic Rouge in this respect, another show that sought to create an expansive world with several -- if not more -- moving parts, but whose writing limitations led to several scenes feeling only like we were getting "every other chapter," and was similarly marred by editing and framing that didn't do a good job of grounding time and place. So much as, at the worst of times, feeling like a hastily combined series of scenes to be speedran through.

Jabootu wrote:
It's very odd. I'd prefer to think this is because of outside limitations forced upon the staff and not just laziness or gross ineptitude on their parts. If so, it would be fascinating to get their candid insights into what it was like working on this show. Of course, such a thing is highly unlikely, but it sure would be interesting.

My default assumption is frequently outside forces, unmanaged expectations, or just The General State Of The Industry™ right now (cf. The Banished Former Hero Lives as He Pleases' ugliness, and the first episode and change of God's Game We Play that I checked out). Regardless, I also really wish staff insights were easier to see and be allowed, because seemingly every pocket of the worldwide animation industry is a mess right now, and that's just... dreadful.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Thus spoke InfiniteNothingness:

Quote:
My default assumption is frequently outside forces, unmanaged expectations, or just The General State Of The Industry™ right now

To be clear, that would be my base assumption as well. Certainly it's the most likely option statistically. However, I can't state it as a fact and it's always possible that there were other factors involved.

I should note I have zero interest in things like creators' personal lives, but again, if it were possible I'd love to get into the nuts and bolts stuff of why a show went horribly awry.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I assumed as much, heh. People who are actually eager to minimize creative efforts tend to speak... differently, in my experience. (Not that I intended to like, imply anything.) But, yeah, same wavelength here.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it will provide the story for a second season of Shirobako!
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I really do want to like this anime. It has characters I care about and a decent storyline, but it isn't coherent, the jumps and missing exposition is glaring. Maybe they should change the title to Hollow Memory.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6