• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Unnamed Memory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabootu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Per the review:

Quote:
It felt very abrupt that the episode opened with Tinasha and Oscar in bed together wearing nothing but their L-shaped blanket (you know, the special movie kind that covers her to her collarbones and him to his waist),

My theory is that because this takes place in a fantastical universe of monsters and sorcery, that the women there get cold in a room that's in fact insufferably hot, like say 72 degrees, and thus the guy has to uncover himself as much as possible while the lady is cinching the blanket around her like it's the only thing keeping her from freezing to death.

You can posit all sorts of weird things like that in a story like this.
andramus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Just a bit of a nitpick of Rebecca's review - it was explicitly stated in the anime and the novels that having sex would have a deleterious effect on Tinasha's spirit magic.

The counterpoint to that statement was that Tinasha has such an abundance of magic power the effect would be marginal. Basically Tinasha has to use more of her magic power to perform spirit magic than she did before.

I'd describe it as a loss of efficiency more than anything else. They way it's described in the novel spirit magic is based around the relationship a person has with the spirits. The purer (less conflicted) that relationship is the easier it is to perform spirit magic. I would say it's about the fidelity of the spirit magician to the spirits. A relationship can withstand infidelity but often is never as strong as it was before.

I just thought to add that having sex does not reduce Tinashas power or capability as a magician. Nothing about Tinasha intrinsically is reduced. Rather it's a change in her external relationships.

When the issue of her losing power by having sex was first brought up it was stated that she was a special case because she used spirit magic and only her spirit magic would be affected. All the other witches/magic users can have sex without any consequence to their power.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Two separate instances of "Give your child, who hasn't even been born yet, a chance to exist!" from two different people (one of whom is Oscar), for a couple involving an only recently nerfed witch, is truly something else. Like I get what it's angling at but on top of everything else, it reads so bizarrely. Probably the first time I've actually been irked at this show, inasmuch as I can be.

I'm sure like everything else it's at least less awkward in the novels, which I'll be properly returning to later.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Isn't that just the Modesty Bedsheet trope? Even used outright as a dress for Tinasha in this episode.

I mean, points for actually having leads who have sex, minus the emotional fulfillment to enjoy it because they speedran through their relationship development. Ironically I'm now convinced the only kind of anime's ENGI can do halfway properly are romcoms.

Still feels like we're jumping through to so many events that it hardly registers. But hey, Chiwa Saito voiced baddie!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:12 pm Reply with quote
They hadn't been implied to have had sex before the opening of this episode, had they? I feel like every "milestone" in their relationship has been omitted, like we're taking the stairway two steps at a time. One minute they're barely speaking to each other, the next scene she's smooching him on the cheek as if they'd been so friendly for ages, a couple scenes later, she's cuddling with him affectionately, and now suddenly they're boinking like an old married couple. Talk about a whirlwind romance!

Anyway, "a demon king named Travis" was the funniest part of this episode. It wouldn't feel any more out of place if he were named Stimpy.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:38 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Anyway, "a demon king named Travis" was the funniest part of this episode. It wouldn't feel any more out of place if he were named Stimpy.

I also did a spit-take on this, but this is a fantasy setting where the co-protagonist is named Oscar and his father, the king, is named Kevin. There have also been minor characters named, Cecilia, Pamela, and Sylvia, so the original writer apparently thought common Western names were exotic enough.

andramus wrote:
I'd describe it as a loss of efficiency more than anything else. They way it's described in the novel spirit magic is based around the relationship a person has with the spirits. The purer (less conflicted) that relationship is the easier it is to perform spirit magic. I would say it's about the fidelity of the spirit magician to the spirits. A relationship can withstand infidelity but often is never as strong as it was before.

This was also my interpretation. Also, nothing in the anime or novel indicates that spirit sorcerers are all women, so male spirit sorcerers would have the same problem. Leonara may be overestimating how much Tinasha is affected by this.

I just finished reading the first novel, and while it's far from a masterpiece of writing, both the general plotting and the relationship development flow a bit better in the novels. (In particular, the parts involving Miralys make quite a bit more sense in the novel, partly due to one important skipped scene.) I'd estimate about 25% of the shortcomings of this series can be attributed to the source and the other 75% to the adaptation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:50 am Reply with quote
Sayeth Key:

Quote:
I just finished reading the first novel, and while it's far from a masterpiece of writing, both the general plotting and the relationship development flow a bit better in the novels.

Talk about damning with faint praise!
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't expecting that opening. Once again it feels like there was quite a bit of story missing between last week and this week.
It kind of feels like Tinasha is just being pushed along too. Last week for her feelings and now marriage and kids. Even literally this week when she isn't sure about marriage in the opening and gets pushed down by Oscar with enough force to exclaim "ow(itai)".
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:

As intended. The original novel pitches its appeal much more with its ideas than its writing quality. (Although its illustration quality is decidedly above-average.) The writing style is simple and straightforward, without a lot of attention to descriptiveness outside of action scenes. Its style somewhat mimics that of fables (which it does profess itself to be), but assuming that was done deliberately may be giving the writing too much credit. Its original online version does date to 2008, so it preceded prominent current LN trends.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:22 pm Reply with quote
It's ironic that this had more on-screen romantic progression than you see in a lot of romance anime yet it's because they skipped and rushed through so much so it just feels hollow. It's like taking a 2-cour or 15-18 episode story and then trying to shove it into a 1-cour. And that never ends well.

I definitely feel like they could've done more with Leonora and her apparently having her own Oscar which they didn't do much with.

At least this was probably the best animated episode since...episode 2?

Oh, and the Witch of Silence is here I guess.
Key wrote:
Jabootu wrote:

As intended. The original novel pitches its appeal much more with its ideas than its writing quality. (Although its illustration quality is decidedly above-average.) The writing style is simple and straightforward, without a lot of attention to descriptiveness outside of action scenes. Its style somewhat mimics that of fables (which it does profess itself to be), but assuming that was done deliberately may be giving the writing too much credit. Its original online version does date to 2008, so it preceded prominent current LN trends.

Also to its benefit is Oscar and Tinasha's relationship and chemistry which is more effective in the books because they don't skip over all the moments where they interact/grow closer to each other (especially when the series is a romance, so that's the primary core of the book).
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:16 am Reply with quote
Did that green haired servant of Leonora get offscreened? The one that attacked Oscar
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:55 am Reply with quote
I feel like weeks have passed since the end of Episode 10 and the start of 11. Last we saw they were in Farsas speculating on the missing princess, now suddenly they're in the middle of a desert watching a massive sandstorm...which apparently was no obstacle to their riding up and seeking an audience with the princess. And when did she do all that reconnaissance and meeting with the princess's brother and/or whoever? I don't recall it all since it was a long list of stuff she did by herself, rattled off like she was racing a lit bomb fuse. My head was spinning faster than the sandstorm.

Could someone explain the logistics of how Oscar pounced Tinasha when she was floating (why?) at a 90° angle with her feet 180° from where they ended up? Oddly enough, I was just thinking a couple days ago that it had been a while since I'd seen anyone pounce in the middle of a conversation like that, when it used to be a common trope, and here Undone Memory comes along and throws an impossible one at me. Very Happy
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:09 am Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
Did that green haired servant of Leonora get offscreened? The one that attacked Oscar

Oh, that's who that was. I was wondering if we were supposed to know her or if she was just someone random. It was just really odd that the only image we saw while Tinasha was describing what she did (that would normally be at least several minutes on screen, if not more) was a dead woman when she mentioned how she sealed the mages power.
I mean, killing them would seal their power, but I don't think that's what she meant.
It's like the animators just threw that image in randomly to the episode and that's where it landed...

At least the wedding ceremony was unique and Oscar just immediately cutting off his dominant hand without hesitation was nice change of pace from the usual standing around you often see. Though we did get plenty of that later in this episode though when the witches fought.

Last edited by Covnam on Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I quite enjoyed this anime overall no matter what who says what and super excited it even got a 2nd season announced Smile
Jabootu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca, don't worry! All your qualms will be assuaged and your questions answered in season two. See you back here in January!

Actually, let me ask a serious question. How did the guy who composed the music for freakin' Liz and the Bluebird (!!) end up having to work on this turkey? Seriously, is nobody offering this guy better shows? Is he a drug addict who can't get work? Did he pull a Mel Gibson? Does someone have a blackmail file on him? Good grief. There is no justice.

Last edited by Jabootu on Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6