×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Announces Toonami Rewind Block With Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z Kai, Naruto Anime


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ZelosZoidberg



Joined: 23 May 2018
Posts: 662
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
If they don't have the rights, it would probably better to just not do this at all than to do a half-baked version of it with shows that aren't actually nostalgic to the target audience of the block.
I have a lot of nostalgia for the 90s Sailor Moon dub but I don’t understand the fans who think a version that changed all the music and names and made Sailor Uranus and Neptune cousins is better than an actual uncut and faithful dub but that’s just me.
The nostalgic eyes and ears is a powerful thing but even it can't save me from what I thought was good voice acting. The Viz Dub is over 8000 times better than the DIC dub. Seriously, just look at a comparison on YouTube, and you'll be glad you don't have a villain of the week that sounds like Marge Simpson!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mgree0032



Joined: 27 Jun 2022
Posts: 277
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Why am I suddenly seeing people starting to complaining about the dic/cloverway dub of Sailor moon not going to be on Toonami rewind?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 2780
Location: Toronto
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 7:25 pm Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:
Seems weird to do a nostalgia throwback block with versions of shows that didn't air during classic Toonami


I feel the same way, but I suspect the original Sailor Moon dub has been sent to the Negaverse. It's been completely MIA for nearly 20 years now. I think the biggest issue for casual viewers will be the lack of English music. The original dub's re-interpretation of Moonlight Densetsu was pretty good and Viz left all of the music in Japanese.

With Dragon Ball, they already had the rights to Kai from the Saturday block. They probably chose that over Z because it makes for a better weekly broadcast than 291 episodes.

mgree0032 wrote:
Why am I suddenly seeing people starting to complaining about the dic dub of Sailor moon not going to be on Toonami rewind?


Because this is a block meant to exploit nostalgia and no one's nostalgic for a 10 year old dub that was exclusive to discs and a streaming service. I mean, that seems kind of obvious.

That's also why your request for Slayers and Rayearth are kind of weird. Those shows never aired on mainstream TV in the US, so there isn't really widespread nostalgia for them. Heck, I see people talk about Ranma more nowadays than either of those two. Though, that might just be my own bubble.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mgree0032



Joined: 27 Jun 2022
Posts: 277
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I feel the same way, but I suspect the original Sailor Moon dub has been sent to the Negaverse. It's been completely MIA for nearly 20 years now. I think the biggest issue for casual viewers will be the lack of English music. The original dub's re-interpretation of Moonlight Densetsu was pretty good and Viz left all of the music in Japanese.
Viz didn’t left all the songs in Japanese. They dubbed some of the insert songs and had Cristina Vee and Cherami Leigh sing the songs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 4980
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:


Because this is a block meant to exploit nostalgia and no one's nostalgic for a 10 year old dub that was exclusive to discs and a streaming service. I mean, that seems kind of obvious.

.
If we're going by that reasoning then none of the shows people are demanding for Toonami are going to fit that strict criteria of being exactly like the version that aired 30 years ago because most of those versions don't exist anymore or not in a way that would be presentable for American TV or the Japanese licensors don't want it to be used. Like everyone wants Gundam Wing back on Toonami. The old version everyone wants where they used laser guns and Duo was called "The Great Destroyer" is no longer available for licensors at all. So you either take the uncut version that exists now or you don't have any Toonami Rewind at all because none of those chopped up versions still exist. Same goes for other shows like Tenchi and Outlaw Star. Also there's plenty of younger Sailor Moon fans who only grew up with the Viz dub and it's already nostalgic for a lot of younger viewers. And the voice actors still draw tons of crowds from Sailor Moon fans at anime cons. If you think there's no nostalgia for it, you should probably try interacting with younger fans who actually watch the dub.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 2780
Location: Toronto
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
If we're going by that reasoning then none of the shows people are demanding for Toonami are going to fit that strict criteria of being exactly like the version that aired 30 years ago because most of those versions don't exist anymore or not in a way that would be presentable for American TV or the Japanese licensors don't want it to be used. Like everyone wants Gundam Wing back on Toonami. The old version everyone wants where they used laser guns and Duo was called "The Great Destroyer" is no longer available for licensors at all. So you either take the uncut version that exists now or you don't have any Toonami Rewind at all because none of those chopped up versions still exist. Same goes for other shows like Tenchi and Outlaw Star.

I already said that I doubt the original Sailor Moon dub is accessible to them. The reality is that does undermine the point of being nostalgic.

Gundam Wing's one of the least altered shows of that era. Unlike Dragon Ball or Sailor Moon, that wasn't really a hacked up reversioning. The cast is exactly the same. I don't know how it was presented in the U.S., but in Canada, it aired with the first Japanese intro, too. Some of the language might be different, but that isn't too jarring. I'm not sure if you're talking about disco guns (I haven't seen the edited version of Wing since I was a kid), but wasn't that SEED's Cartoon Network edit, not Wing?

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Also there's plenty of younger Sailor Moon fans who only grew up with the Viz dub and it's already nostalgic for a lot of younger viewers If you think there's no nostalgia for it, you should probably try interacting with younger fans who actually watch the dub.


I don't think any teen or young adult who could be nostalgic for Viz's Sailor Moon dub would be watching a weekly, cable TV broadcast in 2024. Their introduction to the show presumably came through Hulu, illegally or through the home video release. All of which are still easier ways to watch the show. Cartoon Network is going heavy on the '90s nostalgia because that age bracket are the youngest people who still watch their channel in any large quantity.


Last edited by Primus on Fri May 17, 2024 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YagamiBlackstone255



Joined: 10 May 2023
Posts: 105
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 8:24 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
If they don't have the rights, it would probably better to just not do this at all than to do a half-baked version of it with shows that aren't actually nostalgic to the target audience of the block.
I have a lot of nostalgia for the 90s Sailor Moon dub but I don’t understand the fans who think a version that changed all the music and names and made Sailor Uranus and Neptune cousins is better than an actual uncut and faithful dub but that’s just me.
The nostalgic eyes and ears is a powerful thing but even it can't save me from what I thought was good voice acting. The Viz Dub is over 8000 times better than the DIC dub. Seriously, just look at a comparison on YouTube, and you'll be glad you don't have a villain of the week that sounds like Marge Simpson!!



I feel a bit bad because Marge Simpson's Latin American voice actor played many roles on Sailor Moon Including Sailor Galaxia and she was AWESOME.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 4980
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:


I'm not sure if you're talking about disco guns (I haven't seen the edited version of Wing since I was a kid), but wasn't that SEED's Cartoon Network edit, not Wing?
They didn't alter the guns themselves but they still added laser gun effects when the effects were fired. My point is still that recreating the exact experience of Toonami from 20 years ago isn't possible and there are all sorts of practical and licensing issues involved. Toonami is still doing their best to make a fun experience for fans and trying to keep the network afloat that is being underfunded by WBD but some fans would rather have nothing at all than try to be understanding of the modern anime industry.

Quote:
I don't think any teen or young adult who could be nostalgic for Viz's Sailor Moon dub would be watching a weekly, cable TV broadcast in 2024. Their introduction to the show presumably came through Hulu, illegally or through the home video release. All of which are still easier ways to watch the show. Cartoon Network is going heavy on the '90s nostalgia because that age bracket are the youngest people who still watch their channel in any large quantity.
The point still stands the Viz dub is already a decade old and Sailor Moon fans who refuse to accept any change have had ten years to get used to it but they're still mad about getting a good dub?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 6313
Location: Katy, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I heard about this via Twitter/X and I got to say, I knew the Checkered Past block would eventually evolve into a Toonami Rewind for anime, and I was right!!!

OK, so Toonami Rewind will use the Viz Media dub for it's Sailor Moon broadcast, so I have one question: Does this mean Sailor Stars will get it's US broadcast on Toonami? Because I'm hoping Toonami could finally "finished" Sailor Moon classic given that Sailor Stars never got to see the broadcast it deserved given that it was never dubbed pre-Viz Media, not even Cloverway/Optimum would even dub it in English until Viz Media got to dub it for the first time. So I'm hoping to see Sailor Stars makes it premiere on Toonami many years after S ended on Toonami. I hope Gundam Wings can also be re-broadcasted (in HD of course) on Toonami Rewind.

I'm also hoping to see other anime that never got chance to get a Toonami broadcast back in the day can find it's way into Toonami like Escaflowne, Star Ocean EX (I'm surprised this anime never got a Toonami broadcast back in the old days, and given that Star Ocean 2 got a HD makeover release, why not broadcast the old anime to cross-promote the game), Flame of Recca (by the time the anime got licensed in the US in 2004, it wasn't the right time to broadcast it on Toonami, but IMO, I would like Toonami to maybe give Flame of Recca the broadcast it deserve). There are plenty of old school anime that have gotten dub and never received (or even one time was considered) a Toonami broadcast, it would be nice to have those broadcast if given the opportunity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_



Joined: 31 Oct 2009
Posts: 3049
Location: Wallington, NJ
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 8:56 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
Primus wrote:
I feel the same way, but I suspect the original Sailor Moon dub has been sent to the Negaverse. It's been completely MIA for nearly 20 years now. I think the biggest issue for casual viewers will be the lack of English music. The original dub's re-interpretation of Moonlight Densetsu was pretty good and Viz left all of the music in Japanese.
Viz didn’t left all the songs in Japanese. They dubbed some of the insert songs and had Cristina Vee and Cherami Leigh sing the songs.


That's because those particular songs were performed on screen, it's the other songs in the show that were left in Japanese.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZelosZoidberg



Joined: 23 May 2018
Posts: 662
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I feel a bit bad because Marge Simpson's Latin American voice actor played many roles on Sailor Moon Including Sailor Galaxia and she was AWESOME.
My deepest apologies it was not my intent as insult towards the Latin American Dub (you now have my curiosity for said dub actor). In the DIC Dub there is a mime monkey/chimp like monster and in it just screams "MONEY MONEY!!" over and over again with an almost pitch for pitch season 2-3 Original dub of Marge Simpson and when taken out of context makes for a funny short is just awful because it's very badly translated and has an almost monotone like voice at times. The scene in question: https://youtu.be/R2BcV_J1-8k?si=QdGvqSqVj5Var33A


Last edited by ZelosZoidberg on Sat May 18, 2024 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 6112
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
Cowards should have used the DiC dub if they were gonna do "retro" Sailor Moon.


If they did that this would be a pseudo throwback to the original Adult Swim Saturday Block which aired uncut stuff with edited stuff.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Like everyone wants Gundam Wing back on Toonami. The old version everyone wants where they used laser guns and Duo was called "The Great Destroyer" is no longer available for licensors at all.


I’d have to go back and look at this cause boy I don’t remember then adding laser effects to the guns. Which would be a pretty stupid edit anyway.


Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri May 17, 2024 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ninjamitsuki



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 609
Location: Anywhere (Thanks, technology)
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I hope if Sailor Moon does well we can get more shojosei on the block proper!

Also wonder if Tenchi or Outlaw Star would even be a possibility given the timeslot. If they're uncut the hot springs episode of OS and the Tenchi OVAs might not fly pre-watershed...


Last edited by ninjamitsuki on Fri May 17, 2024 9:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YagamiBlackstone255



Joined: 10 May 2023
Posts: 105
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:21 pm Reply with quote
DiC drama aside, this is HUGE. A Magical Girl show on mainstream tv. As dated as Mainstream TV is by now, having all the gay characters back in the show is a cause for celebration.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TsukasaElkKite



Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 3975
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:55 pm Reply with quote
HOLY CRAP! MY CHILDHOOD!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group