×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Announces Toonami Rewind Block With Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z Kai, Naruto Anime


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NJ_



Joined: 31 Oct 2009
Posts: 3053
Location: Wallington, NJ
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 10:17 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
HOWEVER. I don't understand why it took so long to add Sailor Moon to the Toonami block in the first place, especially since the Viz dub was out for almost a decade, it was streaming for a while, and it even has its own channel now on Pluto TV for free (though it's sub only and the episodes aren't chronologically). PMDR basically shares my sentiments.

Maybe it's just nostalgia fatigue for me, but I do believe that there are other shows that should get a chance to air instead.


Different circumstances 10 years ago plus they tried to get Crystal when it was new and in popular demand on their requested shows lists in 2014 & 2015 but according to DeMarco on a Pre-Flight podcast in June 2016, they were outbid by Hulu.

The first instance he expressed interest in the Viz redub was during a Twitter AMA in June 2022 and in that same AMA, he revealed that Sony Pictures was blocking them from getting certain Funiroll titles, specifically citing Yu Yu Hakusho & Spy x Family and then when later asked about how they got One Piece back again, he said it was through Toei, not Sony.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YagamiBlackstone255



Joined: 10 May 2023
Posts: 107
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 10:30 pm Reply with quote
For those wondering "Why didn't De Marco/Toei/Viz get 90's Sailor Moon on TV back in 2014?"

And that was due to De Marco and the Toonami crew not wanting ANY show that was "Older than Trigun or Cowboy Bebop" so until now there was a deliberate ban of shows that were TOO OLD for them.

But then they figured, "Nostalgia blocks aimed at adults do REALLY well. Maybe we can try out nostalgia"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YackDe



Joined: 23 Apr 2024
Posts: 78
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
To the folks complaining about Toonami using DBZ Kai instead of the original version they grew up with, here is a horrifying fact: DBZ Kai is over 15 years old now. There's now a whole generation of adult fans who grew up with that version.


Those adult fans are by and large not watching television, and based on how this block is being described, their era's iconography is not the one being used to try and drum up nostalgia viewership. So yeah, like a lot of stuff in the dying medium of terrestrial television this still comes across as not actually being for anybody.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trollhiti Tour Guide



Joined: 29 Feb 2024
Posts: 14
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
To the folks complaining about Toonami using DBZ Kai instead of the original version they grew up with, here is a horrifying fact: DBZ Kai is over 15 years old now. There's now a whole generation of adult fans who grew up with that version..


While that is true it's an old show at this point that's an entirely different generation so it's still inaccurate to try to bill this as some kind of 90s/00s Kid nostalgia block when you choose versions that didn't actually air in that time period. Especially in Sailor Moon's case where the new redub never aired on Toonami at all so ain't no one gonna be nostalgic for it. At least Kai did eventually air on Toonami in 2014 so it's technically not a lie that this it's an old Toonami show even if the target demo probably stopped watching by then.

It'd be like if the Cartoon Network Checked Past block showed the awful 2016 version of the Powerpuff Girls rather than the original if it ever gets announced and they tried to pass it off as what we watched in the 90s. The nostalgia crowd are probably some of the most picky and stubborn people to market to so I'd be curious to know how well the Viz dub does compared to the other shows on this block since fake nostalgia seems like an odd thing to try to sell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 4986
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 11:53 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:


I disagree; I don't find it to be overthinking at all, and it's not about arbitrary rules either. Toonami started with an action kids block with all of the programming mentioned in this article, so it definitely is trying to create the experience in some way, by calling it a "Rewind Block."
DBZ Kai and Naruto weren't part of the original Toonami lineup. DBZ Kai only started airing in the past decade and Naruto was in the mid 2000s when Toonami switched to Saturday night primetime. The version of DB that aired in the 90s was the heavily edited Ocean dub of DBZ. And when Sailor Moon premiered Moltar was the host of Toonami and not TOM.

Quote:
HOWEVER. I don't understand why it took so long to add Sailor Moon to the Toonami block in the first place, especially since the Viz dub was out for almost a decade, it was streaming for a while, and it even has its own channel now on Pluto TV for free (though it's sub only and the episodes aren't chronologically). PMDR basically shares my sentiments.

Maybe it's just nostalgia fatigue for me, but I do believe that there are other shows that should get a chance to air instead.
Because Hulu had exclusive streaming rights.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr. Wily



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 341
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 1:43 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Budgetary reasons aside, I wonder if this is acting as implicit evidence that cable is just aging out of CNs original demo.


Oh it absolutely is. It's why this block is existing. Adult Swim has been slowly but surely taking over the whole of Cartoon Network over the last few years. I mean this whole Toonami Rewind thing is on Fridays, but every other day of the week they've started doing this "Checkered Past" block (in reference to CN's original logo) that's just cartoons from the 90s/2000s. Like you said, the last people to cut the cord are Gen Xers/older millennials and all the people running the networks know it and so are catering to nostalgia. And yeah, frankly it doesn't matter what versions of dubs air, the whole point is for people still watching to go "oh my god, I loved Sailor Moon!" And let's be real even if it isn't quite as nostalgic, anybody who is sitting down and watching Sailor Moon on broadcast television in 2024 is either enough of a fan to acclimate to the new dub, or living with the nostalgia goggles so firmly on their face they probably already ripped some copy to a hard drive years ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Snomaster1
Subscriber



Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 2858
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 3:09 am Reply with quote
I don't know how other people are going to feel about this,but I'm not sure I'm going to see Viz's version of "Sailor Moon." It doesn't really seem like it's for me. It may be for others,not me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mgree0032



Joined: 27 Jun 2022
Posts: 277
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 3:26 am Reply with quote
With all of this people wanting the old dubs of Sailor moon and dbz back on toonami rewind, I think people would be more interested and excited if the block showed some 4kids dubbed anime for an special premiere and the rating would soar.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 6125
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 9:45 am Reply with quote
The only good thing 4 kids ever did was the 2003 TMNT reboot.

Everything else was shit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NJ_



Joined: 31 Oct 2009
Posts: 3053
Location: Wallington, NJ
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 9:58 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
The only good thing 4 kids ever did was the 2003 TMNT reboot.

Everything else was shit.


Also Ultimate Muscle, their dub was the reason that show got a second season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeoStrayCat



Joined: 14 Sep 2011
Posts: 623
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 12:12 pm Reply with quote
All I can say in the matter that, yes, streaming these days, just effectively makes this nostalgia block pointless (no offense to it though), and while I get the reasons users are making assumptions to the uncut Viz Re-Dub of Sailor Moon. Its all we got for the moment. I get that people liked the (edited) DIC/Cloverway dub in the past (myself included), but its fairly incomplete since they didn't dub Sailor Stars, while the Viz Re-Dub did and makes the series complete. (That and the differences both dubs were handled.) Also, they could have gotten Sailor Moon years ago, but I'd assume the Hulu exclusivity (to it streaming) keep it on a leash for a decade up until now. (Which is why at least you can see the series 24/7 on Pluto TV, but its subbed only, along with Naruto on there as well, also subbed only, speaking of...)

What also bothers me is that they could have just also just aired and finished up the remaining episodes of Naruto that they didn't get to last time before Toonami's previous cancellation, and that's it, instead of having to start over from the beginning. (Considering Shippuden is ending very soon going through all 500 episodes on broadcast.)

And on the subject of 4Kids...
BadNewsBlues wrote:
The only good thing 4 kids ever did was the 2003 TMNT reboot.

Everything else was shit.

lol, no, that's an insult to the good 4Kids dubs. (Ult. Muscle, TMM/MMP, etc.) So your response doesn't count. However, technically, they can't really can't get anything 4Kids, since, you know, 4Kids as a company itself no longer exists (besides Konami Cross Media handling the Yu-Gi-Oh dubs as of current.), I doubt they would have to ask Discotek Media and the parties involved to use the shows they licensed to go on broadcast for it though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chris Handsome



Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 297
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 12:17 pm Reply with quote
The DiC Sailor Moon dub is actually goated. It's original exclusive soundtrack is great, even has an original song from Stan Bush. I like the voice cast more as well, until Cloverway took over. The original English Sailor Jupiter is fantastic.

Bit unfortunate they are doing DBZ Kai though, but I get it. Won't take as long to get through it, and in terms of video quality, it beats out any of the original releases from Funimation outside of the Dragon Box.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 4986
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 2:20 pm Reply with quote
And if we're complaining the Viz Sailor Moon dub shouldn't belong because it wasn't on Toonami 20 years ago, half the 4Kids library was never on Toonami either. The only 4Kids shows they ever aired was Yugioh DM, GX, Pokemon Chronicles, and Pokemon Battle Frontier.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mgree0032



Joined: 27 Jun 2022
Posts: 277
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
And if we're complaining the Viz Sailor Moon dub shouldn't belong because it wasn't on Toonami 20 years ago, half the 4Kids library was never on Toonami either. The only 4Kids shows they ever aired was Yugioh DM, GX, Pokemon Chronicles, and Pokemon Battle Frontier.
Don’t forget One Piece, TMNT 2003, Pokemon OS, Winx Club and Shaman king all aired on Cartoon Network/Toonami back in the 2000s.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 4986
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 3:23 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
Don’t forget One Piece, TMNT 2003, Pokemon OS, Winx Club and Shaman king all aired on Cartoon Network/Toonami back in the 2000s.
One Piece is already airing on Saturday nights and they're not bringing back the 4Kids version. Winx Club and TMNT were never on Toonami. They were on Miguzi which was a completely different block. I'm pretty sure Shaman King ever only aired on Fox.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group