• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The First Anime That Made Us Cry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thundercracker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:49 am Reply with quote
Air.
It's the only anime I will never watch again.
That ending wrecked me.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:43 am Reply with quote
GenericIbuprofen wrote:
Petit Puri Yucie might not have been the first - I have vague childhood memories of Unico on the Disney Channel - but it was definitely the most intense. Stop the show, put head down on desk, sob my eyes out crying:

"I've lost something."

And then the yellow flowers.

Do other people remember this show?

I liked it enough to watch it again a few times ! I wouldn't go so far as to say that it made me cry a lot, however among the plethora of old kind Mahou Shoujo ( by which i mean 70s to mid 2000s ) i've seen, Yucie was certainly among the most emotional especially towards its end, i tended to recommend it along side with some others late 90s to mid 2000s MS like Fun Fun Pharmacy and Princess Tutu these times had a very good crop of dramatical MS, older ones like Mami and its numerous look-alike were mostly goofiness on top of goofiness ( sorry Perusha i still loved you though )
Terraziel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:00 am Reply with quote
The ending of Nausicaa still gets to me, decades after I first saw it. I think that has to be first.

Clannad After Story didn't make me cry, it made me stop watching it for a few months till I felt prepared to continue. Emotional manipulation at its finest.
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:36 am Reply with quote
"Hans Christian Andersen's the Little Mermaid." 'Nuff said.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I am guessing my first cry was with Grave of the Fireflies. Other memorable anime cries for me have been with Angel Beats!, Clannad After Story, Iroduku and Code Geass.
CamiChan19

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Thundercracker wrote:
Air.
It's the only anime I will never watch again.
That ending wrecked me.

I'm so glad to see so many folks bringing up Air. It is also the first anime that I recall making me cry. It was one of the first anime I watched in the early days of watching anime on YouTube, in "Part 1/3" chunks, at like 480p max quality. I went in knowing nothing of KEY's specialty in emotional storytelling, and the voice acting felt so visceral. While I still enjoyed (and had teary moments) in Kanon 2006 and Clannad, Air takes the cake as it was my first taste of that big, mega-sad crying experience with an anime.

For a recent example, I've been watching One Piece with my fiancé -- The first scene in One Piece that made me cry was one that may be considered inconsequential to most folks.

When Luffy spoiler[ comforted the dog ] in Orange Town, after spoiler[ the pet food shop that the dog had been watching over in memory of his deceased owner, was burned down. ].
I'd just spoiler[lost my dog] a few weeks prior, and that scene of Luffy sitting beside ChouChou absolutely wrecked me.

Last edited by CamiChan19 on Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:57 am Reply with quote
I'm not someone who gets emotional to the point of actually crying in media very often.
I'm sure there have been others that made my eyes water, but the anime that really stand out in my memory for making me cry are in order:

The ending of Angel Beats.
The ending of Red Garden (I was legitimately existentially depressed for weeks after this.)
The ending of Madoka Magica.
And the ending of both seasons of Eighty Six (for wildly contrasting reasons).
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:28 am Reply with quote
There hasn't been a lot of anime that has made me cry lately, mainly because I've seen it all already. So much drama, angst, whiny characters, and the tragic backstories that come with them. However, while Chrono Crusade broke me, the anime that made me cry the hardest was Assassination Classroom. That's why I can never look at that anime the same way I used to anymore.
Monster Man Enishi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Not the first, but the Going Merry's Viking funeral, leave it to Oda to make you sad AF and cry over a boat. It's even worse when Oda says he cried making the scene.

The first though? I'm old, so let me think...

Maybe the end of Cowboy Bebop.
InNeedOfAName

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:06 pm Reply with quote
FYI the English dub of the first half of I'm Gonna be an Angel is available on Tubi.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:00 am Reply with quote
So many of the titles mentioned in the article and this thread bring back memories, and I can relate to having had similar reactions Smile

The first Anime I can remembering tearing up/crying to (knowing it was an anime) was probably Laputa/Castle in the Sky.
The bit when the last of the gardening robots is being left on it's own just did it for me the first time I saw it on C4 in the UK back in the early 90's.

As well as the likes of Air, Kanon, FMA, Saikano etc that have already been mentioned another one that had me tearing up pretty much constantly for the last third of the series was "Your Lie in April", as it became apparent what was going on with Kaori, probably in part because at the time I was caring for my mother who had Alzheimer's and it hit very close to home.

Finally there is Gunbuster, in the final OVA as they're heading back to earth spoiler[and there is no sign of any life, no radio signals, no ships, no satellites in view, not even a light on, then just as they think they failed or something else had happened and they're the only people left the earth lights up with the message "welcome home", and Takumi or Jung's (I can't remember which) promise that the people of earth will always remember them and wait for their return comes true.]
Speaking of which, I've had the ATA set sat on my desk for months, I must sit and watch it again.
Kenthan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:38 am Reply with quote
I have been watching anime since 1999, but the first and only anime that made me truly cry is Belle(2021) aka Ryuu to Sobakasu no Hime by Mamoru Hosoda.
Suzu's unveiling and her "Hanarebanare no Kimi e" song is the strongest and most emotional scene I have seen in anything ever!
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The first anime to make me cry was probably whatever the first anime I watched was, since I'm the sort that cries at the drop of a cliche. Crying or Very sad Pretty much any episode of anything where the characters are bawling evoke sympathetic tears, even if I'm hating being so blatantly manipulated.

Memorable early sobfests would be the aforementioned "Hard Luck Woman," and even the preceding episode where Faye and the gang watch her time-capsule tape. Wolf's Rain of course, esp. the last four episodes when the world is literally coming to an end, and esp. spoiler[Toboe's death]. Somewhat more recent would be Natsume's Book of Friends, which is always good for some tears, notably the episodes with the fox child.

The winner and still champion of anime most devastating to me is Clannad and esp. Clannad After Story. Those require several boxes of Kleenex each.

Yep, I am all of this. Always been a crier—my friends tease me. Knowing me, I probably shed a few tears over Racer X back in the 70s watching Speed Racer, but I don’t remember. Yes, many, many Kleenex were sacrificed to Clannad and After Story. I still tear up when I hear Toki O Kizamu Uta.

But my first, my first that I remember—that stayed with me—goes to Princess Mononoke, which I saw at the Ziegfeld (pretty sure it was the Ziegfeld) in NYC in the fall of 1999. I sobbed thru the entire end of that movie. Half the people in our row were all puffy-eyed as we shuffled out into the night.

More recent notable cry fests would have to be Violet Evergarden—I swear I ugly-cried thru every episode—and Made in Abyss when spoiler[Mitty died].
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Kenthan wrote:
I have been watching anime since 1999, but the first and only anime that made me truly cry is Belle(2021) aka Ryuu to Sobakasu no Hime by Mamoru Hosoda.
Suzu's unveiling and her "Hanarebanare no Kimi e" song is the strongest and most emotional scene I have seen in anything ever!

Aw, geez. A couple months ago, that song came on my playlist while I was driving the day after one of my cats suddenly died. I needed to pull over and park my car.
timber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:00 am Reply with quote
I would have thought that was an Osamu Tezuka movie like Fumoon 3000 or another one which I cannot remember the title: it involves a boy raised by aliens which becomes involved in a rebellion when returning to Earth, there is some time travel and a giant supercomputer to destroy. Near the end the creature that accompany him is shoot and reverts to its original form of a young alien female from the start of the movie that was in love with him.

I said "I would have thought", because really thinking about it like someone else said in the forum, the 70's Candy Candy and Remi would have come first.

Afterwards, when anime made a comeback to France and Belgium, the master tearjerker is of course Grave of the Fireflies which I don't re-watch much because I start crying as soon as the first scene starts.

There is also of course Cowboy Bebop with Jupiter's Jazz and the final episodes.

Another good tearjerker is She, the final weapon with the neat french title on my DVD box Larme ultime with a little spacing between the "L" and the "a" so that it can be read as either "Larme" (tear) or "L'arme" (the weapon). Plenty of occasions to cry. The saddest scene is probably the dying Akemi, her body broken in an earthquake, asking Shuji to embrace her and tell her he loves her even if it's a lie.

I should also mention Hikaru no Go. The scene between Isumi and Hikaru when Hikaru rediscover Sai in his own Go is an emotional storm of sadness, joy, closure.

Someone else mentioned Honey and Clover another favorite of mine. It's an anime with plenty of emotional moments of all kind: melancholy, joy, goofiness,... but for me overall it's the lighter moments that comes on top.

I could also mention other anime like Cannon, Angel Beats or the last scene of Heike Monogatari when the ex-emperor ask the Princess, last survivor of the whole Heike clan, how she is able to bear the loss.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5