• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Aquarion

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I had heard that Funimation that some special up their sleeves for this special announcement week, but damn I wasn't expecting this. In fact I hadn't really even heard of this series, but it looks interesting to say the least.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I had heard that Funimation that some special up their sleeves for this special announcement week, but damn I wasn't expecting this. In fact I hadn't really even heard of this series, but it looks interesting to say the least.

It's got orgasm powered mecha fusions.

No, I'm not kidding....
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Like DeVadessy? Or is it actually worth watching? Razz
bci110

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I saw some of Sousei no Aquarion at ColossalCon last year, and I thought it was a pretty good show from what I saw. I was under the impression that Bandai would eventually acquire the R1 license for this series, but this does come as a surprise. I'm definitely picking this series up come this fall.

Great acquisition, FUNi! Very Happy

Quote:
Funimation's announcement makes no mention of a tentative release schedule,

No schedule as of yet, but Anime on DVD reported that a Fall 2007 release is planned.
coffee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
According to the Aquarion site we have a tentative time slot for release, as opposed to the news article.
Quote:
The first volume of Aquarion is scheduled to hit the streets in Fall 2007.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
hmmm this largely looks like Eva--just from the synopsis-- i suppose Funimation isnt looking for aces so much as having more tricks up it sleeve.

the sap has spoken.
CGord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:

It's got orgasm powered mecha fusions.

No, I'm not kidding....

Yeah, I'm wondering how well that'll translate... Laughing

I got about halfway through this series, then lost interest. Might have to start watching it again.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, I liked this show and didn't even expect it to be licensed. But hey, it's all good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
san-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I just want the soundtracks........
forever_young

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
It should definitely be interesting to see this series...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I'm too excited about this announcement, as most of what I know about Aquarion comes from here:
In his 'Will Not Finish' list, abunai wrote:
Cliché City, downtown. This is truly one of the most unoriginal and derivative anime I've seen in years. It's as if somebody decided to rip off Shin Seiki Evangelion and Soukyuu no Fafner, with absolute lack of shame. Even the title reads like an amalgam of the two. If it weren't for the fact that the animation quality is tolerably good, I'd place this in the Bad category. As it is, it really isn't worth the effort.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty dissapointed myself. Funimation aquired this anime over so many deserving ones...*hintOURANHIGHSCHOOLHOSTCLUBhint*? Not too exciting, especially since Sousei no Aquarion is average at best.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
It's not a series I have any interest in, but at least it wasn't from the C&D letter. From what little I've heard of it, I think I'll pass on this series.

I'm still holding out for a license I care about this week, but I'm not expecting it.
bci110

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I can't say I'm too excited about this announcement, as most of what I know about Aquarion comes from here:
Cliché City, downtown. This is truly one of the most unoriginal and derivative anime I've seen in years. It's as if somebody decided to rip off Shin Seiki Evangelion and Soukyuu no Fafner, with absolute lack of shame. Even the title reads like an amalgam of the two. If it weren't for the fact that the animation quality is tolerably good, I'd place this in the Bad category. As it is, it really isn't worth the effort.

Wow, abunai's comments are both scaring and enticing me to continue on with this series. Maybe I should rent just to be on the safe side. Cool

CloverKuroba wrote:
I'm pretty dissapointed myself. Funimation aquired this anime over so many deserving ones...*hintOURANHIGHSCHOOLHOSTCLUBhint*? Not too exciting, especially since Sousei no Aquarion is average at best.

Well, there's still two days left of this Kickoff week, and I heard that they might be saving the "big" announcement for Friday so keep your hopes up. Wink
radda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

I loled. The entire thing goes back and fourth from a serious drama to an over-the-top parody of the super robot genre itself (MUGEN PUNCH anyone?). This guy doesn't seem to have gotten that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2