• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Aquarion

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I can't say I'm too excited about this announcement, as most of what I know about Aquarion comes from here:
In his 'Will Not Finish' list, abunai wrote:
Cliché City, downtown. This is truly one of the most unoriginal and derivative anime I've seen in years. It's as if somebody decided to rip off Shin Seiki Evangelion and Soukyuu no Fafner, with absolute lack of shame. Even the title reads like an amalgam of the two. If it weren't for the fact that the animation quality is tolerably good, I'd place this in the Bad category. As it is, it really isn't worth the effort.

The worst part is that's all practically true. The three things that I thought were actaully good about this show was the pretty good animation (it actually ranges from good too almost great), most of the music, and the different robot combinations. But after that, it takes on the biggest episode by episode defeat the enemy, over come it's new power and gain a new power. That's it, I didn't even expect it to get an OVA. But hey, I liked it enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, at least FUNimation is saving me money. Laughing

2 more days to go....
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
I was pretty disappointed with this series. Like others have pointed out, it has a rather silly an chiche concept. But I might buy the volume where they introduce the "MUGEN PUUUNCH!" just for the humor value. Laughing It'd be even better if there was an over-acted dub.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:57 am Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
Wow, abunai's comments are both scaring and enticing me to continue on with this series. Maybe I should rent just to be on the safe side. Cool

He wrote something similar in its very own thread right after the series first premiered. It was kind of a downer, since I'd been looking forward to it as a Shoji Kawamori/Yoko Kanno fan.

Also, Justin Sevakis's rewiew in the Anime News Network 2005 Spring Preview was the clincher, as I trust his judgement wholeheartedly. As a proud owner of both the imported Sousei no Aquarion soundtracks, however, I have to at least report that the music is fantastic.

P.S. How many more times are you going to re-register, Biliano? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nooneofconsequence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:12 am Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
I'm pretty dissapointed myself. Funimation aquired this anime over so many deserving ones...*hintOURANHIGHSCHOOLHOSTCLUBhint*? Not too exciting, especially since Sousei no Aquarion is average at best.

Ouran doesn't fit into Funi's licensing scheme as it is something more of what Media Blasters would license if not either Bandai or Geneon. If you look at trends Funi tends to not license BONES productions, and most of its recent licenses have come from either GONZO, TV Tokyo, or Media Factory
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:14 am Reply with quote
i wouldn't be surprised if this shows up on Adult Swim and succinctly fails, it seems to niche to hit the Bleach/Naruto/Inuyasha crowds and to trite to hit the high brow, but having read only synopsis and done no homework, my opinions is just a stab in the dark but out there for kicks.

the sap has spoken
Chiikaboom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:36 am Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
I'm pretty dissapointed myself. Funimation aquired this anime over so many deserving ones...*hintOURANHIGHSCHOOLHOSTCLUBhint*? Not too exciting, especially since Sousei no Aquarion is average at best.

Exactly. It seems every time theres a new liscence its a show I've never heard of.
Im seriously surprised Ouran is still not liscenced.
bci110

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:18 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
P.S. How many more times are you going to re-register, Biliano? Wink

As long as the ANN servers don't mess with my account, this will be the last time. Laughing

The reason why I started a new account is because I can't make my lists public with the old biliano account, and the data that's displayed on the Public Lists is corrupted. So that account is dead in my book, and I won't be using it anymore.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
I kinda like how people say they aren't even going to try a series just because of someone's opinion.... Bad reviews more often than not make me want to read/play/watch whatever it was being reviewed, just for a bit to check it out. (And I normally end up liking it, too)

Personally.... I think Funimation should license Battle Programmer Shirase >=D
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote
WAHOO!!!! YES!! THEY ANNOUNCED TSUBASA!!!

There is massive fan-girl squealing going on right now at my house!

Oh, and they announced Shuffle & My Santa as well.

**heehee!** Tsubasa! Now hopefully, tomorrow's announcement will be xxxholic! I won't find out until tommorrow night though, I have to go back to work. Crying or Very sad
johnmora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Blah series, masterpiece soundtracks. If FUNimation decides to pack them in, I might just have to spring for it.
FUNiRepBlue (disabled)
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

**heehee!** Tsubasa! Now hopefully, tomorrow's announcement will be xxxholic! I won't find out until tommorrow night though, I have to go back to work. Crying or Very sad

Technically we had already announced Tsubasa however the secret was for the release date.
It's official: Volume 1 of Tsubasa hits May 22, 2007. Smile
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
FUNiRepBlue wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

Technically we had already announced Tsubasa however the secret was for the release date.
It's official: Volume 1 of Tsubasa hits May 22, 2007. Smile

Technically, schemcally...YOU GAVE A RELEASE DATE! TSRI be sure and set one aside for me!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2