• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: School Rumble GN 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabble

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Del Rey continues to do well with the quality of their books. Quality paper, clean artwork, attractive covers, and plentiful cultural notes; it's not perfect, but it is certainly a cut above the norm.

I see this kind of quote a lot in reviews, but the reviewers never seem to enumerate some of the things that it would take to make it perfect. Always makes me wonder if they're talking out their posteriors. Rolling Eyes
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
The more I read about School Rumble, the more I think I should start buying. I haven't seen the anime but people rave.

Any idea how much of the manga was covered by the anime?

The part of the review that struck me most was this line:
Review wrote:
Other laughs are wrought by mocking shopworn shounen comedy staples, usually with a well-timed role reversal (including a most amusing violation of the law of comedy physics that governs the gravitational attraction between a falling boy's face and the object of his affection's rear-end).
I don't know what exactly that means, but I want to find out.

By the by, am I the only one who can't see the reviewer's name without highlighting it? Confused
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote
it's nice to see a review on one of my favourite comedy series. Very Happy Nice review!

Richard J. wrote:

By the way, am I the only one who can't see the reviewer's name without highlighting it? Confused

You're not alone. I also had to highlight the name before being able to see it.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I didn't read much in the manga genre last year, but am exceptionally glad that this was one of the titles that I did. It's the fact that the characters never realize the futility, check that, super futility of their actions that did it for me. Oh, and the weird, unexplained things coming out of nowhere don't hurt either (Karasumas kappa-like raingear, anyone?). It's been giving Cromartie a run for its money as my absurd, slice-of-school-life title for a while now.

Quote:
[E]specially several brutally hilarious mileposts in Harima and Eri's drastically worsening relationship.

This, plus the reasoning of the situation at hand by one of the cast, had me grinning for the rest of the day Very Happy.
treatment

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quote
from the review:

Quote:
Regularly nullifies romantic evolution; somewhat weak when being serious.

Ok. Those are not really negatives, Carl.

Those are some of the stuff that makes SR-manga so totally friggin' funny. Cool Laughing Razz Twisted Evil

flag ftw, btw! Razz
jaaf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Aww come on, it deserves a B or B+ at least. School Rumble is one of my favorite anime and manga because it's hilarious. If you're looking for serious plot development or romance to happen you're going to be disappointed. It's supposed to be pure comedy and I think it succeeds in that regard.

I'm not sure how the story rating applies to manga like these because it's not supposed to have a strong story IMO. It's usually a bunch of short stories to set up the joke or gag.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:08 am Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:

Quote:
[E]specially several brutally hilarious mileposts in Harima and Eri's drastically worsening relationship.

This, plus the reasoning of the situation at hand by one of the cast, had me grinning for the rest of the day Very Happy.

Akira's my favourite so far (besides Tenma-chan, who everyone seems to take for granted).
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Any idea how much of the manga was covered by the anime?

The anime pretty much follows the manga exactly. From what I can tell, the first season of the anime covers around seven volumes of the manga. With the OAV and the second season, I could only assume that the second season might cover another seven volumes.
forever_young

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
This show IS pretty hilarious. But yeah, if you are looking for some romance, you better check elsewhere. Strictly comedy writers here.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
The anime pretty much follows the manga exactly. From what I can tell, the first season of the anime covers around seven volumes of the manga. With the OAV and the second season, I could only assume that the second season might cover another seven volumes.
Thank you very much for the info one3rd! I've been trying to decide if I wanted to wait for the anime to come out here in the US or if I wanted to just go ahead and start picking up the manga.

If they're basically the same, I'll wait for the anime since I've already got a ton of manga on my "to-buy" list. (Seven Seas will soon own my wallet due their Strawberry line.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1