• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Favorite Director Part 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rakushun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Kon Satoshi every time.

Out of Watanabe's works, I've seen Cowboy Bebop + movie and Samurai Champloo. He has a great sense of style, and he has many great moments in his episodes. However, his anime lack a strong storyline that follows through the entire series, and he isn't as inventive as Anno or Kon.

Unlike Watanabe, Anno is not confined to the action/adventure genre. I've seen Gunbuster, Evangelion + movies, and Kare Kano, and all of them are great. In particular, I felt that Anno did a great job handling the Kare Kano manga while adding some inventions of his own (i.e. paper cutouts). Anno's works have much more substance, but I still put him second to Kon.

Of Kon Satoshi's work, I've seen Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paranoia Agent, Paprika, and even Magnetic Rose (the short masterpiece in Memories)... and I loved every single one! Like Miyazaki or Takahata, his works (except Paranoia Agent) are comparable to movies as much as they are to anime. He also seems to challenge his audience with a daring choice of topics, mostly but not wholly psychological.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Amasa:
Quote:
Regarding your last statement about Anno's lack of "shine", the man created EoE while he was suffering a nervous breakdown which adds to the show's unconventional, surprising and devastating wrap-up.

That actually annoys me even more, because I'd prefer he kept his personal life out of the story.
Rakushun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
Was a 5th poll really necessary??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Rakushun wrote:
Was a 5th poll really necessary??

I explain this here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3