• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Launches Slew of Princess Ai Products

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Is Princess Ai really that popular?

I've never read this series mainly because of the fact that Courtney Love is the co-writer or something. I don't want to support her...anything.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing Hot Topic type outfits. You know, fake Gothic Lolita to the masses?
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Is Princess Ai really that popular?

I've never read this series mainly because of the fact that Courtney Love is the co-writer or something. I don't want to support her...anything.

Yeah I thought that this franchise wouldn't do so good because of the fact that Courtney love was the writer of the story or original creator [i think].Her reputation isn't good [crack addict ],I guess that because Ai Yazawa [paradise kiss,nana] was the one who did the illustrations /art for princess ai, it did pretty good. T-mobile even sells "Princess Ai" cellphone wallpapers[yet they don't have full metal alchemist Mad ] lol I've never read this series either and I don't think I'd want to. So far, I've heard more negative comments,than positive about it.

Last edited by KAtchan15 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's that popular, it's more like Tokyopop is trying to make it more popular. (If only it was any good, but it isn't...)
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Why don't they flood us with, say, Dramacon merch?

Matt and Christie plushies for all!
kolibri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
I guess that because Ai Yazawa [paradise kiss,nana] was the one who did the illustrations /art for princess ai, it did pretty good.

Ai Yazawa did the character designs for Princess Ai, she hasn't drawn it. She rocks on her own and doesn't need fricking Courtney Love to write her manga for her.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
I don't think it's that popular, it's more like Tokyopop is trying to make it more popular. (If only it was any good, but it isn't...)

So pretty much either Love has TP by the balls (i.e. a really bad contract that favors her) or TP hasn't seen that much of a profit from the property and is seriously trying to whore it out.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
KAtchan15 wrote:
I guess that because Ai Yazawa [paradise kiss,nana] was the one who did the illustrations /art for princess ai, it did pretty good.

Ai Yazawa did the character designs for Princess Ai, she hasn't drawn it. She rocks on her own and doesn't need fricking Courtney Love to write her manga for her.
Oh my mistake,sorry, she just made the character designs, I thought that she was the one who made all the illustrations and Yup, Ai Yazawa definitely doesn't need Courtney love. Ai yazawa's really good. [Hm... I wonder when NANA's [anime] going to be licensed] Wink
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:

Yeah, I agree. It is interesting what TokyoPop can do when it wants to promote something though.
kolibri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
Oh my mistake,sorry, she just made the character designs, I thought that she was the one who made all the illustrations and Yup, Ai Yazawa definitely doesn't need Courtney love. Ai yazawa's really good. [Hm... I wonder when NANA's [anime] going to be licensed] Wink

Haha, yeah Smile Wasn't there just news about some channel starting to show NANA here? I don't know if that means it's going to be licensed too...
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
KAtchan15 wrote:

Haha, yeah Smile Wasn't there just news about some channel starting to show NANA here? I don't know if that means it's going to be licensed too...

Yeah I friend told me something about that, I think that it's gonna be on animenetwork or something, but I hope it does Very Happy get licensed soon.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was through. Tokyopop is a great company and they get a lot of manga for us to read in the states but they make me angry when they push crap down our throats.

OEL manga is alright. But I don't think they should be trying to make manga. Maybe just a comic instead. Because some people try to hard to be something they can't. Princess Ai tries too hard.

i'd love it if they made drama cds for their mangas in english. That is something i'd pay money for.

My advice for TP- stick to translating manga/selling and not trying to make it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Princess Ai? Current news? Did I flashback to two and a half years ago and just not notice?

Seriously though, it's not like a lot of people cared about this series back when it was first announced (well, "cared" in a positive sense), so like others here, I'm a bit bewildered as to the sudden marketing blitz behind a title that was past its prime ages ago and hardly all the rage to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Princess Ai? Current news? Did I flashback to two and a half years ago and just not notice?

Seriously though, it's not like a lot of people cared about this series back when it was first announced (well, "cared" in a positive sense), so like others here, I'm a bit bewildered as to the sudden marketing blitz behind a title that was past its prime ages ago and hardly all the rage to begin with.

She gotta support her coke habit somehow. Laughing Laughing

*ducks the thrown items*
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

She gotta support her coke habit somehow. Laughing Laughing

*ducks the thrown items*

Twisted Evil I was hinting at the same thing. I thought that I'd be polite for once and not actually mention it.

Well, her coke habit and the custody battle over her daughter is still going on isn't it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2