• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Video Second Most Watched Video on Youtube

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stullz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quote
I think it just got pulled....

Too bad I only got to watch it 1 time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTAkONALZYw a little lower quality version is up too though

suck it you tube. you can't stop HARUHI!
soupcan58

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote
Melirith wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
How could translating it ruin it? Do you think Americans can't sing as well as the Japanese or something?

Translating is not equal to dubbing.

If soupcan58 was worried about the singing quality of americans, he/she would've protested against the whole dub in general, not just the translation of the song.

And gawds, what I'd do to see God Knows like that :s

What I'm scared about with the translation is the placements of the phrases "God Bless" and "God Knows". Looking at the way it is translated, those two phrases would actually at the begining of their respective phrases if translated litterally. That's the only thing I'm worried about. Other than that, I'd like to see how they do it!

and to R_Amythest:

Quote:
but y'know, with the connotations of 'God' in this country, they might twist it around to keep out of lawsuits or something.

I'm not worried about that. I think that that will all work out.
Stullz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
Considering the many animes I've seen with Christian theology mixed in in the form of symbols (trigun, GiTS etc...) I don't think that will be a problem. It is also one of the things I love about anime, It is so open-minded, the creators don't worry about having religious symbols or themes in their shows, and that makes me happy.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
But, God is rarely used in anime over here in a religious connotation and we all know what happened to the cross in the FMA manga. People say "God knows " all the time so it depends on what the rest of the song is saying. So, it's a wait and see imo. Bandai knows what it can get away with and what it can't.
Stullz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
I would agree with you normally about the term God Knows, but within recent years God as a term has become a bit more socially acceptable within American Culture, Its when it becomes preachy or evangelical that the problem arises. For example if it was God in reference to Jesus Christ, then there could be issues, but if they decide that its a risk there will be an outcry form Haruhi fans as well as people like me who are Christian anime fans who see the term used as an element of the story. Its all in context for this show, taking it out of context can really screw things over for everybody.

Oh and about the FMA manga (I remember seeing that edit but I don't know if it had a religious connotation behind it) but I have decided that Viz is just edit happy. (The I"s manga comes to mind for its rather stupid editing decisions especially when they gave it a a pa advisory on the 11th volume so they didn't edit it)
soupcan58

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
Stullz wrote:
I would agree with you normally about the term God Knows, but within recent years God as a term has become a bit more socially acceptable within American Culture, Its when it becomes preachy or evangelical that the problem arises. For example if it was God in reference to Jesus Christ, then there could be issues, but if they decide that its a risk there will be an outcry form Haruhi fans as well as people like me who are Christian anime fans who see the term used as an element of the story. Its all in context for this show, taking it out of context can really screw things over for everybody.

I like the way you say that man... I couldn't say it better than myself. That and, I think the whole God complex thing of the series is intreging. What would one person (consistantly bored or not) end up doing with the powers of God(or even a bored character who has no clue about those powers).
Stullz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote
soupcan58 wrote:
Stullz wrote:

I like the way you say that man... I couldn't say it better than myself. That and, I think the whole God complex thing of the series is intreging. What would one person (consistantly bored or not) end up doing with the powers of God(or even a bored character who has no clue about those powers).

Thank you for that,

And as for the whole God Complex thing, the US movie Bruce Almighty kinda dealt with that, so I'm thinking there should be no problem at all.

I can't wait for the DVD's
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Damn I missed it!!! That's what I get for listening and watching "old-school" rap and hip-hop videos all day at work. Gotta admit I got a lot of work done. Razz

If I had stopped over to check on some anime stuff I would have per chance seen it. If I had stopped by ANN first I would have heard about it. Damn. Well, I'm sure you can probably find it somewhere else.

Well, at least they still have the 'Haruhi' parody videos. The things some folks will do with a great song. Laughing

YouTube ROCKS!!!!
PrusiaF77

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:25 am Reply with quote
I have a copy of that "video" on my computer and it's the HQ one. Rolling Eyes Razz
youkai_ronin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:46 am Reply with quote
Oh dear god, I think I've seen that vid 40+ times now Anime hyper I can't stop myself....It just...It wins, ITS SO DAMN BEAUTIFUL Crying or Very sad

I apologize for the mini-rant, off to watch it again Razz
PrusiaF77

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:59 am Reply with quote
youkai_ronin wrote:
Oh dear god, I think I've seen that vid 40+ times now Anime hyper I can't stop myself....It just...It wins, ITS SO DAMN BEAUTIFUL Crying or Very sad

I apologize for the mini-rant, off to watch it again Razz

You have it on your computer too or do you watch it on YouTube?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2