• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-01-26]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Intetsu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:45 am Reply with quote
About the Voice Actor who requested information about other voice acting companies:

He 'might' have an agent, but voice actors don't get paid squat. It's not like they get 'royalties' most the time, they get paid to do the lines and then go home, mostly.

I personally am not a fan of most dubs, but I admit it's a bias. But my bias comes from the fact that we don't get good production values. (i.e. there isn't a big budget on most of them, so I don't like the end product.) You can have a great voice actor/actress, but if they don't get a chance to get into their part, or understand their character- how can they properly act it out?

I admit, I don't know much about how 'it really goes'... But from what I've gathered from articles and articles.... and more articles... Is that they don't have big budget dubs, except for some of the Disney stuff, but then it's probably just the big names who get anything substancial.

*SIGH* Does anyone get paid what their worth?

Ranter: Meh. You can do better than that. Though... If you are sincerely that... unique... More power to ya, I guess.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah, being a voice actor is tough, particularly here (although, my knowledge of it is mostly from articles and a few books and things). I know I read in an interview published a few years back Crispin Freeman said he had only just recently started making enough money to actually live on it. (Actually, if I remember right, he said that before that the money he made working on dubs actually went towards buying anime!)

It seems like in Japan being a voice actor is a big deal, so I'd guess they make more money over there. Although I sometimes get the feel that some (not all) dub actors don't even really WANT that sort of attention. I don't know much about how Japanese culture is with being fans...maybe they're much more respectful than they are here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:32 am Reply with quote
That rant...

I don't know what the writer really wanted so say, but I like how he said it. I was laughing from start to finish. Laughing

I have a co-worker that goes on and on about how this is biased and that is biased, and pretty much the only pattern I have ever been able to discern in the things he talks about being biased is that he disagrees with them. I think it's just easier for some people to run around shouting "BIAS, BIAS, BIAS" than it is to switch on their brains and actually try to think about a point of view different from their own. Sometimes people have bought so far into their own beliefs that anything contrary to them is so threatening that they can't admit to themselves that it might just have some merit. It's easier to try to invalidate the differing viewpoint out of hand than to have to actually respond to it in an intelligent manner.

Then again, bias (both overt and subtle) does exist and should be pointed out when it does. I just think that in many cases it's more a matter of intellectual indolence on the part of the accuser than the actual existence of bias.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:39 am Reply with quote
I want to say that the entire rant is fake. IE, that's not his opinion, it's just one giant trolling attempt, sort of. It comes off to me like something you'd read on 4chan to start a flame war.

Maybe it's just me.
WesW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:50 am Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
I want to say that the entire rant is fake. IE, that's not his opinion, it's just one giant trolling attempt, sort of. It comes off to me like something you'd read on 4chan to start a flame war.

Maybe it's just me.

Yeah, I think it's pretty safe to say that the rantor was making fun of the show.
ohtori_akio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:14 am Reply with quote
The Saint Seiya mention in the bias section is very intriguing to me as I have read the Saint Seiya review from the site and I do think one of them is from a bootleg of some sort since I don't recognise the picture being one used by ADV in their release.
The other review was of just disc 1 if I recall and I have to say it isn't the best the show has to offer so watching a little more of it would definitely make people understand why the show has such a strong fanbase... The bias element you mention is also very interesting with Saint Seiya because as animes of its genre shows (shounen jump), the fanbase is pretty vocal if one doesn't like it... IMO, it is a great show but like many, it needs time to build up...
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:49 am Reply with quote
Well, yeah, that's just your opinion, Zac.

Heheh, it's kinda irritating, isn't it? Calls of bias and similar is often just the lazy man's way of dismissing what they don't want to hear. That they use words in the wrong way doesn't bother them, if they're even aware of it. But they do notice that their choice of words provokes a reaction. Petty revenge if you will, or an attempt to cut a discussion short by baffling the other speaker. Probably the most extreme example I can think of is in Israeli internal politics, where jews of various political stripes will happily throw the word Nazi at each other.

Anyway, the inexperienced critic better grow a thick skin and learn to ignore those posts. Most replies to critics on the net are oneliners made by people who can't make the effort to make a proper rebuttal. Anime critics are especially prone to this since most anime fans are young and vocal in their support of favourite shows. You don't see much of this on ANN due to the content policies enforced by mods but it's very common out in the "blogosphere".

BTW really stupid rant. That was either a troll or somebody who needs help (ah, so easy to dismiss people).
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:40 am Reply with quote
I thought the rant this week was rather witty, and laughed all the way through it. It's funny too that it's posted the same week as the discussion about bias, because everyone's reactions are showing personal bias left and right (including mine). Everyone is interpreting it differently. It reminds me of experimental literature I had to read in college, where the interesting thing wasn't the story but how each reader responded to it.

The flake.... for every high IQ there has to be a low one.
alayajoy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote
I have to say I laughed really hard at the rant this week. Whether the writer was serious or trolling or whatever, I enjoyed the viewpoint. I will have to say that I like Sister Princess. It's one of the few animes that my very...umm...let's say "pure" to be nice... sister can watch without flinching or fast forwarding, ect. My real complaint with the show is that Wataru says "It can't be true" way too much. But that didn't stop me from enjoying the show, or buying it for above mentioned sister for Christmas last year. Maybe I'm just a sap... or maybe I've inherited of too much of my sister's thinking...nah...just not gonna happen.

As for the bias thing, I have to say that people are gonna like or hate what they want to like or hate, and that's not gonna change. So if you are going to put your own opinion out there, expect people to respond. I do appreciate when people give actual reasons for their choices... it is so, I don't know, intelligent. But I've gotten to the point that I just don't expect much out of people anymore... pessimistic of me and all. Is is just me or did once upon a time bias really stand for liking a thing too much rather then hating it... Have I gone and misfiled my brain again? I do that from time to time... I think I'm showing my age again. So that's my bias or prejudice or whatever...

I love baby pandas! Who cares about the flake anyway! Um Yeah, that's out of my blood now.
Isen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:31 am Reply with quote
Hmm... about the rant, I don't think the author (ranter? rantor?) was making fun of the show, but rather making an implicit criticism of exactly the kind of anime that Sister Princess isn't. That is to say, he was having a veiled go at all the gratuitous violence, nudity etc. that tends to show up in this medium we all love so much. By extolling the virtues of Sister Princess (never seen it myself, but I get the idea), Haibane Renmei et al, our author was simply saying, "wouldn't it be nice if all anime and by extension, all anime fans, could be into this nice, straightforward, inoffensive stuff".

Which is fine. I love Haibane Renmei. I would probably call it my favourite anime ever. I love it in the same way that I love My Neighbour Totoro. To not love it would be like kicking puppies. Of course, it's not everyone's scene. Some people personally find action-less anime to be coma inducing. Fair enough. I respectfully disagree. Action-less doesn't mean plot-less or story-less.

However, I find it odd that our rant author decided to make his point in such a backwards way. If you're going to slate gratuitous violence/nudity/sex/whatever in anime, why not just do that directly, rather than as sarcastic asides? But it still made for pretty amusing reading, so I ain't complaining. As such. Smile
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quote
@ the Ranter:

Samurai X does not contain any character named "X" and the main character does not work for the government, in fact it's the exact opposite, he works against them.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
First rant I ever read without getting board even once!

I've never even attempted to watch Sister Princess, I always assumed it was a weird pedophile incest show.... I like light fluffy shows, though, so I may check it out in the future.... Maybe.

And, on the bias thing, to quote the greatness that is my self:

Quote:

My Opinion.
Is that all of your guy's opinions.
Suck.
Hardcore.
~Taken from The Haisho's IRC room
Omega13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
@ the Ranter:

Samurai X does not contain any character named "X" and the main character does not work for the government, in fact it's the exact opposite, he works against them.

If this section by the ranter wasn't enough clue that the entire thing was a joke rant, I don't know what is:

"I'm not alone in my van, down by the river. I have company all the time! The county commissioner drops by now and then, makin' sure I haven't been altering the virtue of the city's drinking water, and the police show up every time somebody goes missing. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a miniature hotel! That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what that thing is, so you're going to have to bear with me."

It was, however, hilarious, IMO.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
I think the writer of this week's rant might need to sign up for a remedial English course. Either that or the rant was a well-written joke. Either way, it left me feeling like this Confused

Zac's nailed the bias issue. People throw that word around like it's an all-purpose instant win card for arguments. Everyone is biased to some degree, but man is that word overused.

Nice to see a decently flaky Flake of the Week. Pyromaniacal fun with kids! Burn Viz HQ! We're the real enemies of the world! (I think the flakes have been watching just a little too much news coverage of terrorists and fires.)

The twisted side of me would like to see them try to burn Viz HQ down. I'd get a kick out of seeing the security guards kicking the stupid out of them. Twisted Evil
chaosbladeuk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
This week's rant was well another 'why does everyone make fun of the show i love and whorship' and then try to give a reason why they like the show - well I guess it's different from the neverending fansub versus dvds/youtube/dubs vs subs/fanservice debate.

Being bias is a part of life - probably the best thing to do to avoid it (if you have the time and resources to waste) is to have at least 2-3 reviews of everything from different writers to get a more objective approach. I wonder why there aren't some shows/manga/dvds reviewed more than once? (like THEM anime)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5