• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Chocolate Bund Cake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, some of those shelves look reaaaaaaaaally close to the ceiling O_o Do you need a step ladder to get to them?! But damn, overall that layout is SO cool. It's close to my dream shelving set up (manga along all walls from the floor to ceiling, with the rolly step ladder to get to them >.<)
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a lot of impressive series! All of Monster, Please Save My Earth, and I think I saw all of Basara? That's not common to say the least! An impressive collection, could I please get your address Razz
crazychild

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I too first saw GE999 on Sci-Fi Channel. I think it was around 10-12 years ago, they showed the 2 films back to back late one night. I bought them on (rather expensive) VHS a few years back, but I may have to pick up the DVDs since I doubt the Blu-Rays will make it over here.

The TV series isn't too bad if you have a lot of free time on your hands. I had a part time job answering phones at my university a few years ago, and I had plenty of time to make it all the way through GE999, Captain Harlock, and Fist of the North Star during one summer.

By the way, I loved the Hugo games as a kid. I don't think I ever finished any of them until GameFAQs came along, though.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Actually, K-On! IS popular with teenage girls in Japan from what I've heard. Probably helps that they erased virtually all the fanservice from the manga.

Pretty cool collection this week.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
CatoriStar wrote:
I can't even begin to express my jealously over that manga collection and furthermore, the awesome shelving situation.

I hate to say I had the same type of reaction to Dance in the Vampire Bund. I knew what it was like and tried to have an open mind but I was still creeped out Sad

Took the words right out of my mouth, mate. On both counts. I tried to read Bund's manga but only got through vol. 1 and part of 2 before I just couldn't take it anymore.

As for K-On!, I have to say I can agree much more the longer time I spend away from it. This feeling came about most strongly with the intro of Azusa - who struck me as a Maru Sue-ndere, Little Miss Perfect Add-On from the get-go, souring every moment thereafter, even with characters I'd come to like.

But nothing really happens in K-On! that has any substance. It's like eating a truckload of cotton candy; afterwords you're still hungry, but feel sick to your stomach even as you chase idealized memories of that sweetness.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Bashing K-On and Vampire Bund in the same day? Nice! Of course, I agree with you whole heartedly. Dance in the Vampire Bund (or as I call it, Dance in the Vampire Butt, because I have the maturity of a nine-year-old) frankly, kind of sucks (get it?) The thing that really broke it for me was that I couldn't relate to the characters. It's werewolf warrior slave and vampire princess, but there were no human characters central to the plot to give me an emotional connection. Hellsing has Seras, a former human. Moonphase has Kouhei to balance Hazuki. Vampire Princess Miyu is more about the corruption of humans than about Miyu. Vampire Butt didn't have any humanity to it, and that made it kind of boring. Plus, the nudity was repulsive. Lolicon can be funny as a joke, but this took it seriously, and that disturbed me.

And as for Zach's collection: Kenshin wallscroll? I am super jealous. And I like how you framed your posters. Classes the place up a bit.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Quote:
That said, I am totally against Mina attending Akira's school. She's already plenty educated, and just wants to go to the school because, as we've learned from watching anime, that's the most romantic thing you can do with your crush, whether you're an alien or a robot or a vampire princess.

This scenario is one of my pet peeve's too. Or even worse, when the character's life is in danger and he/she still attends school. I know school is a great place to move the plot along, but still...

Maybe I'm not cynical enough, but I got the impression she was attending school to make an example of herself. She wanted to desegregate vampire & human society, and was going to live a normal human life (or at least put on a show of doing so), regardless of who was trying to intimidate or kill her, and attending school was the visible part of that.

I mean, she financed the whole bund/school/etc long before she knew she'd have a "crush" there, right? Why else make a school she'd be physically safe in, and had enough monetary/political control of that she couldn't be kicked out, if she wasn't planning to attend it? (She was trying to be the chessmaster when she wasn't being insufferably moe.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
vash:
Quote:
In the TV series, I quickly got tired of the dissonance around him: Tetsuro would show no remorse over killing other people (they may be cyborgs, but they're fully sentient, which makes them people)

Yes, but they're cyborgs who got their comeuppance.

Quote:
and Maetel would tell him he was a sweet, kindhearted boy. He wasn't. He was really screwed up, and I think I would've been okay with that if she didn't claim otherwise every episode.

If you had your parent killed by one 'em, would you feel rational? I sure as shit didn't feel bad about Magneto offing(at least until they find a way to bring him back) Sebastian Shaw in First Class.

Surrender:
Quote:
There was no nosebleed or frantic denial of having seen anything or nothin'. That was actually oddly refreshing.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I know school is a great place to move the plot along, but still...

School's a place to move character relationships along. Plots come to a screeching halt at the gate. It works for a show where character relationships are the plot, but for a show like this, I was constantly thinking "aren't there bigger things to be worried about right now?" when they entered the temporal stasis field that surrounds the typical anime school.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's werewolf warrior slave and vampire princess, but there were no human characters central to the plot to give me an emotional connection.

Weird. I find relating to emotions to be more important than just being known as human. A doggie poo or talking cars can be related to given enough emotion.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:
Quote:
That said, I am totally against Mina attending Akira's school. She's already plenty educated, and just wants to go to the school because, as we've learned from watching anime, that's the most romantic thing you can do with your crush, whether you're an alien or a robot or a vampire princess.

This scenario is one of my pet peeve's too. Or even worse, when the character's life is in danger and he/she still attends school. I know school is a great place to move the plot along, but still...

Maybe I'm not cynical enough, but I got the impression she was attending school to make an example of herself. She wanted to desegregate vampire & human society, and was going to live a normal human life (or at least put on a show of doing so), regardless of who was trying to intimidate or kill her, and attending school was the visible part of that.

I mean, she financed the whole bund/school/etc long before she knew she'd have a "crush" there, right? Why else make a school she'd be physically safe in, and had enough monetary/political control of that she couldn't be kicked out, if she wasn't planning to attend it? (She was trying to be the chessmaster when she wasn't being insufferably moe.)

The 500 lb. gorilla here is the fact that she had to do it at all. She only took the form of a pre-pubescent in order to dissuade her pursuers. Why couldn't she have taken the form of a post menopausal instead? Well, because it wouldn't appeal to the lolicons, that's why. The form of an older woman would have brought with it the dignity and authority for her public persona, and the show could have still been sexy if she took her "normal" form for scenes with doggy-boyfriend.

But no. The story goes the route of her as a sexualized child, even so far as portraying her with all the childish behavior tropes. This obvious pandering did not reconcile with the fact that her age was supposed to be over 800 years old. I never, ever bought any of the rationalizations or excuses. It's a lolicon show. If it had been more honest about that, without the "but she's 800 years old!" unimaginative character contrivance, it never would have been licensed. The show was painfully obvious in what its real goals were. I guess they had to follow the source material; a lamely written manga by the Japanese male counterpart of Stephanie Myer.

Not that the lolita vampire is all that original in the first place, already detailed in this thread. ... just those examples (Interview, Shiki) were well written in the first place.

--- Galaxy Express is a definite buy, along with the Lupin series Discotek recently announced. I am liking what I've been seeing from them. (here's hoping they, or someone, will license the rest of Yawara!)

Last edited by tuxedocat on Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Yes, but they're cyborgs who got their comeuppance.

Not the ones on Mars. He just kills them callously, and they move on, and it's never mentioned again.

Quote:
If you had your parent killed by one 'em, would you feel rational?

No. But it wouldn't make me "kindhearted," it would make me irrational and screwed up. I love that you chose Magneto as your analogy, since that supports my argument, what with Magneto being a villain. He may be a sympathetic villain, but he's still a villain. And I wouldn't mind a dark, disturbed hero dealing with deep trauma at all (I actually love those kind of heroes), it just felt as though the series was trying to desperately argue that Testsuro was really just a nice, normal kid under all that murder. His "goodness" became an Informed Attribute in the TV series after a while. You don't have your mother murdered in front of you, exact bloody revenge, then go on to kill other people with zero remorse, and not have that change you from an innocent child.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The 500 lb. gorilla here is the fact that she had to do it at all. She only took the form of a pre-pubescent in order to dissuade her pursuers. Why couldn't she have taken the form of a post menopausal instead? Well, because it wouldn't appeal to the lolicons, that's why. The form of an older woman would have brought with it the dignity and authority for her public persona, and the show could have still been sexy if she took her "normal" form for scenes with doggy-boyfriend.

That wouldn't have worked in the slightest. Skipping from kodomo to obaasan without so much as a period would send up red flags and just make the vamp lord go to war. After whichever family secured their power they would just procreate someway without overcaring about bloodlines they would be the it clan. But yeah the author of the manga is a hack but bright ideas like Mina turning into a old hag is pure gold.

Seriously though the anime is a jumbled mess compared to the manga.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

That wouldn't have worked in the slightest. Skipping from kodomo to obaasan without so much as a period would send up red flags and just make the vamp lord go to war. After whichever family secured their power they would just procreate someway without overcaring about bloodlines they would be the it clan. But yeah the author of the manga is a hack but bright ideas like Mina turning into a old hag is pure gold.

Seriously though the anime is a jumbled mess compared to the manga.

Basically the kodomo part never was necessary in the first place. Though I suppose it would have changed the tone. A lot. LOL.

"Why, Maggie Thatcher! When did you get so HOT!!"

Laughing
Kakugo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
She only took the form of a pre-pubescent in order to dissuade her pursuers. Why couldn't she have taken the form of a post menopausal instead?

Because the Three Clans only spared Mina's life with the implicit plan that she'd bear one of them an heir, ensuring that one of the Three Clans could legitimately enter into the Royal Family, giving what was essentially a pack of murderers a "Legitimate" way to topple the last opposition. Had Mina presented herself as a post-menopausal anything she'd have been slaughtered.

And yes, this is just all a bit ridiculous... but we're talking about a vampire/lolicon political thriller here. Horses for courses, far as I see it. The TV series has some pretty major narrative problems that aren't really tied to the pedophile overtones, so as much as I want to like this striking and very unique show, I still only came away feeling like the delicious bund cake was half baked. (And at LEAST the home video version smoothed over the worst of the editing!)

I'll likely be in the minority here, but I really think "Adieu" is the more satisfying and awe-inspiring film, but GE999 won me over all the same. The two work as a single epic, despite some slightly lazy repeated concepts, so I can't imagine Adieu without it. It's surprisingly fair to compare the two GE999 films to Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back, but only if you ended Empire with the attack on the second Death Star... that, yeah, that sounds about right.

Fun Fact: The old Ocean VHS release had both musical numbers and the ending theme in Japanese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6