• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Signs Exclusive Deal with TechTV Canada

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
struttgart

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
This is just amazing for us anime fans north of the border. What with the Anime Channel gaining approval, RAzer and there solid block of hits and now this press release. Things are definitely starting to look good. Have to go pinch myself now to make sure I am not dreaming.

OUCH!!!!!

No, not dreaming but that really hurt!! Razz

Ciao,
Struttgart
herbkir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
This along with the YTV Anime Channel deal indicates anime is really catching on in Canada now that Canadian regulators are allowing more channels to run it.

As to the Geneon deal with G4TechTV, what irony! The Canadian operation is getting more anime at a time when the U.S. G4 operation has unofficially but very definitely killed and buried adult-level anime on the U.S. channel.

In addition to all the other indicators we've had this winter that adult anime on the U.S. G4 channel wasn't just on hiatus but was dead and gone, they recently "buried the corpse" by moving the Anime Unleashed forum on their messageboard into the folder reserved for discussions of dead G4 shows. That's as close to an official announcement of anime's demise as we'll ever see from them.

I guess they believe their core young-adult male audience has no use for anime. Either that or they see anime as too expensive relative to the really-cheap old castoffs like The Man Show that appeal to their target audience. (^_*)
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
U.S. G4 operation has unofficially but very definitely killed and buried adult-level anime on the U.S. channel.

Ever since merger it's felt like G4 has been slowly trying to distant themselves from anime as a whole. Don't forget that AotS, had the discussion on "if anime sucks" so it doesn't completely surprise me that this what they are doing now. It's fine with me I don't really watch any of their programming, I used to watch Last Exile and Gungrave back in the day.

Anyways it seems like now Canada has been getting a pretty good amount of anime recently, I remember they had Trinity Blood and Bleach air before the US did. And now they are getting some great shows for TechTV, I wonder what other programs Geneon plans to air as well.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
This kinda sucks. I mean it's fine and all that they are showing anime in Canada but I really want it back here.... Anime Unleashed was the 2nd show I watched on TechTV (fiirst being Extended Play AKA X-play now) I mean, Betterman, Crest of the Stars, Bubblegum Crisis was all on there and then later came Last Exile, Gungrave, R.O.D. and Gad Guard. I really wish it would come back. Damn you G4..damn you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
bakaShin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote
yea this kinda of sux for US fans. 1010 is one of my favorite animes and i wouldnt have mind watching it again. g4tv is kinda getting weird in its programming, it has a bunch of off-network syndicated shows that i didn't never watched in the 1st place. The only shows i actually watch are AoTS and X-play.
Son Biggie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
and what does G4 in the US? get, nothing but Cops Reruns and the ever so crappy Block...
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if anime on G4TechTV Canada does well, they would consider bringing it back to the US channel?

As for Canadians, make sure you watch all this anime on TV you're getting, because then we might get more. It really seems like you guys have more anime on TV now than we do...
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Canadians are so lucky, first they get that new Anime channel. Then now g4tech's giving them a new anime block Very Happy .
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
This kinda sucks. I mean it's fine and all that they are showing anime in Canada but I really want it back here.... Anime Unleashed was the 2nd show I watched on TechTV (fiirst being Extended Play AKA X-play now)I mean, Betterman, Crest of the Stars, Bubblegum Crisis was all on there and then later came Last Exile, Gungrave, R.O.D. and Gad Guard. I really wish it would come back.

Yeah true and same here, I loved watching Anime unleashed as well. Don't forget about RaXephon Wink.They also showed this weird anime called "colorful", hahaha it took perversion into a different level. It was really funny though.
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
Damn you G4..damn you.
LOL Laughing yep yep
Ninja337

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Hey, how is it buying anime DVDs in Canada? From what I've read on some posts here, it sounds like Canadian fans are more into linear TV than the Americans are. They actually watch Jetix or whatever they get up there.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Ninja337 wrote:
Hey, how is it buying anime DVDs in Canada?

Despite the progress its seen over the past couple of years, it's still terrible, especially compared to the US. Often times you can't even rely on specialty stores for a particular title, and whether or not something shows up in a major retailer like Future Shop or HMV is almost like some kind of gamble.

It almost seems like the TV exposure is for naught since the availability of DVDs is so poor.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quote
wow you guys in Canada sure are getting a lot of good news this week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Adept_Rogue_Saiki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote
This is good news for Canadians. Too bad G4 down here has become a junk channel. I remember watching Gungrave on G4 back when it used to be a lot better. I miss seeing Judgment Day.
Angel_Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Hey,good for Canada,but I wish G4 would bring back Anime Unleshed. Sad
animedudde

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Ninja337 wrote:
Hey, how is it buying anime DVDs in Canada?

Despite the progress its seen over the past couple of years, it's still terrible, especially compared to the US. Often times you can't even rely on specialty stores for a particular title, and whether or not something shows up in a major retailer like Future Shop or HMV is almost like some kind of gamble.

It almost seems like the TV exposure is for naught since the availability of DVDs is so poor.

I agree, I just went to Best Buy today, and although they had most of the titles that come on TV (Samurai 7, Baslisk, Inu Yasha, Naruto, etc..) They only had a like 3 or 4 volumes of each (excpt Inu Yasha, they probably have like eveyr new release for that). Compared to when I went to a Best Buy in the US last month where they had a lot more DVDs for each title, and even older releases. Also, Best Buy here priced quite high, Most of what they sell is more expensive than HMV from what I've seen >.>
roujin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
All that can be said now is "you lucky bastards."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2