• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho: Tou

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode of this and it was freaking amazing.

The way they did the opening, with the somewhat orchestral music put to watching a girl run around the city, moving to other parts of the city, showing us what a horrible city this must be, along with some insight of the "The Returned Dead" coming back and walking around, while showing us some of the main characters, that at teh time I didn't know were main characters, was pertty cool.

Along with this, the animation on this show was Great too. Very fluid in the fighting and in just standing there talking. And although the show is supposed to be more of a dark, evil, mystery type show. The comedy it had init was pretty funny. spoiler[when the teacher saw the "transfer" student sleeping and threw the chalk at him, he caught it in his sleep (everyone claps), then you see her smile and BAM, a mop hits him in the face *everybody claps again). and she yells. "My record is 10 wins and 2 losses!!"] Then it moves right into a fight. The newspaper girl is funny too. spoiler[When the demon spider person thing, pops up in front ofher....she just stares and takes a picture.]

It feels like a mix between 10 Tokyo Warriors and TOKKO. But WAY better then both.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this seems to be a pretty classy series. Reminded me a lot of Gatekeepers 21, actually. The animation is high quality and the story at least has a sense of humor without being too wacky. I really enjoyed the schoolyard rumble scene, and how "whatever" the teachers and students were about it. Wink
8daze

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
The action was very awesome, and I liked the spoiler[zombie] designs quite a bit. I don't really see the plot yet, although it's clearly going to revolve around spoiler[superhero high schoolers], and the first episode really jumped around a lot. But it did so in such a stylish way, I can't help but like the show.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Just watched ep. 2 and I'm am VERY glad to see the animation stay, I had that little feeling that it might be dummed down after episode one, but it wasn't and it looks like it'll stay.

This episode was a little pretense to 1, where you see how they got into their little demon slaying bit. It was kind of cool, the powers that the demon lady had, I'm not sure what it was or how they worked but it looked cool. There wasn't as much action in this episode though and I was kinda looking forward to it. But oh well, it's still good and can't wait for 3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I thought this anime was some kind of continuation of something else when I saw the first episode, since without really any formal introduction they throw us into a story where we have no idea who these characters are, how they have the abilities they do, where these crises and enemies are coming from, etc. They've done similar things in other shows (Fate/stay) but they always come back and do some sort of introduction or explanation. Haven't seen ep 2 yet, but I am somewhat curious to see if this gets good or not. The action is surely pretty neat.
chaos_epitaph

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
yup, i have to say i am very much looking forward to enjoying this seires. I think its origial enough while keeping most of the basic character designes. They just give alittle egde to it, not to mention it look great.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:33 am Reply with quote
It's typical anime practice to start a bit in the middle and then hop back from there. I like that, since you don't have to sit through an episode of tedious build-up before getting a glimpse at what the series is really about.
hiddenryuu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I watched 2 eps of this, and honestly, I don't know about this title. I think there are some things that are just sporatic and the character I felt were kind of plain.

I'll have to watch more until I can make a fair judgement though.
Amasa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quote
I thought the first two eps were brilliant. There are some images which are so shocking and unnerving but so beautiful, at times I just couldn't blink or take my eyes off the screen because there was so much detail to look at. The characters remind me of arcade game fighters like Mortal Kombat or Tekken or something, they have that really hip and stylish demeanor which I find really great and satisfying after watching episode after episode of cute-schoolgirl series. Yeah, I just found the art and certain images in this stunning, as I said some things are quite unnerving but are so subtle and that makes it very interesting spoiler[for example the short image of a girl slouched down crying with a puddle of vomit next to her; and a random clip of bird crap on a banister. ] Things like that makes the somewhat already-done plot so much more quirky and interesting.

The music is fantastic, the opening scenes of ep1 were very nice but I didn't notice anything like that in episode 2.

What I appreciate the most is the Buddhist references in each fight scene, I think this makes each character and their 'style' more significant and less shallow.

More or less I find this series to be very cool so far, the way it's done is very modern and stylish and definately very easy to enjoy. I suppose it'd be classed as a shounen from the first two eps and I don't think I've seen a more well though-out introduction to any action series. I'm definately looking forward to more!
Amasa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 was a big disappointment. The animation and the plot were a bit mediocre. I'm still baffled by how detailed the translator's notes are, and the textual references within each episode - it's very impressive. I still really like this series and I'm going to follow it all the way through.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Well the plot was somewhat disappointing but the animation was still on par to what it was, just there wasn't very much for them to do in ep. 3 so they really couldn't show it.
Facade19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:53 am Reply with quote
I watched the first two episodes and I thought they were really amazng.
I will give the third episode a try once I am done with Genshiken.
NyxVI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
Loved the first season. Any ideas when the Martial Fist Chapters are going to be coming to DVD and English dubbed??? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1