• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Chasing Trains

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NGE1113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Rumbling Hearts:
Wow, I haven't had a blind buy pan out so well since I purchased Kare Kano and Now and Then, Here and There from a Right Stuf weekly sale. The review makes me want to make the DVD a priority watch, wanting to slap character notions included.

undeadben wrote:
And yeah, just on name alone Beet the Vandal Buster doesn't sound interesting, so this article only helps confirm my suspicions. And on top of that, badly written dub and then dub titles for the sub.. Yikes!

I've been rather wary of this title since an AoD poster recounted their viewing experiences. All of this was mentioned, as well as some nice video problems as well. It's actually kind of shocking, as Illumitoon was founded by ex-FUNi employees. Well, maybe not if said employees weren't exactly the cream of FUNimation's crop. Anyways, don't think I'll be checking out this title.

britannicamoore wrote:
They're still making Comic Party? I remember when the first seris was coming out and I got the dvd in Newtype. maybe I should give this show another chance.

Comic Party was remade into Revolution, but the second version has much more in common with the manga. I liked the first version better, since it actually kept in line with the series name and was about the struggles in producing doujinshi, rather than wandering into slice-of-life territory.

As for those DVD shelves:
"My God, it's full of DVD's." Sorry, couldn't resist (that joke from that curséd Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged has been stuck in my head for a while Razz).
aorta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo Dong wrote:
This time, you can produce pop idols. I'm talking, of course, about the new Xbox 360 game they released in Japan—Idolm@ster.

You should see the arcade version:

http://www.insertcredit.com/reviews/idolmaster/
Pacific Pikachu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I've been meaning to check out the Densha Otoko movie, but I'm afraid it won't live up to my expectations because of how much I *adore* the drama.

Everyone should see the drama, seriously. It's so goofy and heartwarming and wonderful--it's worth every second you spend on it. Very Happy It's especially amazing to watch in group settings, if you can get some friends together for a marathon or catch it at a convention. I originally saw it late at night at JTAF, and though the audience was only treated to the first two episodes, by the middle of the first episode everyone was cheering and laughing and having the times of their lives, and when they turned it off a long "Noooooo" rippled through the crowd. Anime hyper;; Then we all piled into an elevator and discussed it passionately.

I've since seen the whole series four times through, each time with a different set of friends. It really brings everyone together.
roujin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
The one problem that I have with the movie is that I watched the series first and it kind of spoiled me. The story is pretty good but I just couldn't get the leads from the drama out of my head when I watched it.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:10 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching Rubbling Hearts volume 2. I must say that I'm looking forward to the final volume. I really must say that I really side with Mitsuki (my own middle name being Mitsuyuki, my Dad's being Mitsuo, my uncle Mitsuru, etc.) on this one. I wonder where other viewers fall in regards to the two girls. I've always favored the kakoii over kawaii, and sided with the other Ms Hayase in Macross, as well as Madoka in Orange Road. Are there Haruka fans out there?

Funimation is spoiling us between these 5 episode volumes and the 6 episode count on Solty Rei. I only wish that the packaging for this series was a bit nicer. I agree that the Betrayal is a bitch tagline doesn't work. The sparse cover (lack of DVD logo, studio logo, quotes) help make it look like a bootleg cover. Also the lack of any reflective material like Moon Phase, Bleach, Utawarerumono, Coyote Ragtime, etc. also help look like a cover made on someones desktop. The same image on the front reused on the back also doesn't help. Once again, maybe I'mm just spoiled by Funimation's dual sided covers, postcards and insert booklets.

Too bad this installment of Shelf Life didn't include Noein volume two. Instead of Chasing Trains it could have been called Haruka Haruka Haruka. I find the name Haruka rather feminine in sound (I tend to think of RahXephon's Haruka), so it seems a little odd for the Demon Eater. The funny thing is that Haruka in Noein is played by a girl named Haruka.

Time to squeeze in one more DVD before bed.
undeadben

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I just finished watching Rubbling Hearts volume 2. I must say that I'm looking forward to the final volume. I really must say that I really side with Mitsuki (my own middle name being Mitsuyuki, my Dad's being Mitsuo, my uncle Mitsuru, etc.) on this one. I wonder where other viewers fall in regards to the two girls.

I don't know if this is odd or not but... at first I was all about Haruka. I liked her character and sided with her, and I was pretty neutral about Mitsuki. At about the mid-way point I really hated Mitsuki, although I was starting to be annoyed by Haruka as well. Near the end I did a complete 180 and started to relate to Mitsuki and almost hated Haruka. And at the end I loved Mitsuki and became totally indifferent about Haruka. And the funniest thing is that it is almost happening again as I watch them in the DVD releases. Even though I had already seen the story and had already decided Mitsuki was my favorite, I still cheer each girl on at different points in the story.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quote
Anyone want to challenge him?

My problem is 1800 anime dvds in too many places to photograph
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

So submit multiple pictures. Smile
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
ikky wrote:
No matter how good people say Rumbling Hearts/Kiminozo is, it can't hold my eyes' attention for long because of the really plain character designs Neutral
You wrote what I would've written.

I don't know, those characters look so generic. I can't watch a romance like that. Ugly characters, distinctive, unique and jarring characters, may be. Characters that make you want to be an anime drawing yourself and swear your eternal love to them, sure. Generic? No way. Generic A loves generic B loves generic C who loves generic D who actually loves generic A and cries all the time don't make for attention-catching material in my book.

On other points; for some reason whenever I think of Densha Otoko in live-action I always think that the lead girl of My Sassy Girl would be perfect for the role. Confused
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:04 am Reply with quote
Personally, I'm one who enjoys the character driven Comic Party Revolution a bit more than the original series, possibly though because the character development was somewhat lacking there. Then again, I kinda think the manga tops all. =P

I knew you would talk about iDOLM@STER this column. ;D
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:32 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

I didn't know we could do that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NGE1113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

With that cleared up, I think I've found a new project to undertake when I return home next week. (Now if I just could manage to borrow someone's digital camera...)
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:17 am Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:

With that cleared up, I think I've found a new project to undertake when I return home next week. (Now if I just could manage to borrow someone's digital camera...)

From what I've seen on the "show us your shelves" thread I will say that there are at least a dozen of us who are in the 1k+ club. I believe Chris Beveridge from Anime on DVD might have the largest collection of legit DVDs. I believe I might have spent more on my bedrooms home theater setup than anyone else here.
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:21 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
NGE1113 wrote:

From what I've seen on the "show us your shelves" thread I will say that there are at least a dozen of us who are in the 1k+ club. I believe Chris Beveridge from Anime on DVD might have the largest collection of legit DVDs. I believe I might have spent more on my bedrooms home theater setup than anyone else here.

I haven't updated my stuff in a couple of weeks but I think I'm over 4300 now.

http://www.intervocative.com/DVDCollection.aspx/animeondvd
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
NGE1113 wrote:

*grin* Then send in pictures!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3