Forum - View topic
NEWS: Silver Spoon by FMA's Arakawa Sells 90,000 in 3 Days


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Divineking



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Posts: 1217
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty surprising, but I guess it goes to show she hasn;t lost any of her steam when it comes to writing. Don;t know if this series would sell here, but it would be nice if Viz could push for a quick US release.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
calimike



Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 113
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
It's bored after I read few chapters. Viz, pls don't license it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7527
Location: IL
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
90k isn't bad for a first volume, but it's not anything to write home about.

It's about 700k less than what the first week sales of FMA were, so she definitely has to win back a large portion of her fans with this series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tomibiki



Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 795
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Proof that the name sells the product, this series is ass.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Divineking



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Posts: 1217
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
90k isn't bad for a first volume, but it's not anything to write home about.

It's about 700k less than what the first week sales of FMA were, so she definitely has to win back a large portion of her fans with this series.


What do you mean "nothing to write home about"? Most new series are lucky to crack 20K in their opening week for vol 1. 90K for a first volume is amazing. Yeah it;s not quite up to FMA;s standards but it;s off to a good start
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
il capitano



Joined: 26 Oct 2008
Posts: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I read the first chapter and it struck me as a rip-off of Moyashimon, minus what makes Moyashimon great. Of course, that was only the first chapter, but you know. I remember reading the first volume of another non-FMA manga by Arakawa years ago and coming away thoroughly unimpressed by that one, too.

But then, I was never a huge FMA fan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaymie



Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Posts: 915
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
calimike wrote:
It's bored after I read few chapters. Viz, pls don't license it.


Just because you don't like slice-of-life comedies doesn't mean that other people don't.

This would be perfect for Viz's Shonen Sunday lineup. And it's guaranteed to be licensed. Possibly even at Comic Con in a few days.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
Shay Guy



Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 759
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
90k isn't bad for a first volume, but it's not anything to write home about.

It's about 700k less than what the first week sales of FMA were, so she definitely has to win back a large portion of her fans with this series.


What do you mean "nothing to write home about"? Most new series are lucky to crack 20K in their opening week for vol 1. 90K for a first volume is amazing. Yeah it;s not quite up to FMA;s standards but it;s off to a good start


It looks like FMA #21 sold 107,356 copies in its first day (released December 22nd according to Wikipedia), with 825,026 sold over the next week. That's an average of 116,548 copies a day, 3.88 times what this made.

Silver Spoon is a very, very different manga from FMA, so I can certainly see why the latter's fans aren't racing out en masse to buy the former. Still, 90K in three days for a first volume isn't half bad; RIN-NE #1 only got 50,888 in its first three days (debuted the 16th), and Takahashi's gotta be in Arakawa's class.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sailor S



Joined: 20 May 2009
Posts: 2942
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
She's coming off a pretty damn successful series in FMA, I sure hope that the first volume of her next work would sell well. The real trick will be to increase sales of subsequent volumes. Most series lose steam as time goes on, so we'll see if it can start gaining fans of its own, or if it'll fizzle out and be forgotten.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Posts: 3065
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I should also point out that no one reads Shonen Sunday anymore, they haven't had an original hit in years, Gash Bell was the last anime they had that I remember the anime going past 100 episodes (Kenichi is only about 50 episodes long) most of their well known mangaka date to the 80's (Takahashi, Adachi, Aoyama).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Divineking



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Posts: 1217
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
90k isn't bad for a first volume, but it's not anything to write home about.

It's about 700k less than what the first week sales of FMA were, so she definitely has to win back a large portion of her fans with this series.


What do you mean "nothing to write home about"? Most new series are lucky to crack 20K in their opening week for vol 1. 90K for a first volume is amazing. Yeah it;s not quite up to FMA;s standards but it;s off to a good start


It looks like FMA #21 sold 107,356 copies in its first day (released December 22nd according to Wikipedia), with 825,026 sold over the next week. That's an average of 116,548 copies a day, 3.88 times what this made.

Silver Spoon is a very, very different manga from FMA, so I can certainly see why the latter's fans aren't racing out en masse to buy the former. Still, 90K in three days for a first volume isn't half bad; RIN-NE #1 only got 50,888 in its first three days (debuted the 16th), and Takahashi's gotta be in Arakawa's class.


The thing is that your pointing out later volumes of FMA. You know, AFTER it got an anime and exploded into a hit. It;s not really fair to compare that to a completely new series that's just starting out. Maybe later on we can make those kinds of comparisons but it;s a bit too early.

Either way the series is a sucess so far, by all means.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaymie



Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Posts: 915
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Give me a break. You can't compare the sales of a brand new manga to one with 27 volumes, multiple video games and novels, two Anime, and two theatrical films.

The best comparison to Silver Spoon is RIN-NE. They're both brand new comedies from the creators of action epics with two Anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7527
Location: IL
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Give me a break. You can't compare the sales of a brand new manga to one with 27 volumes, multiple video games and novels, two Anime, and two theatrical films.

The best comparison to Silver Spoon is RIN-NE. They're both brand new comedies from the creators of action epics with two Anime.

The difference between the two being that in Inuyasha's last volume, it sold around 140k copies the first week. Whereas in FMA's last volume it sold around 800k copies the first week.

I'm not saying that 90k is a small number, but it is a massive drop from what Arakawa was getting, meaning that she lost a huge portion of her fanbase.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maidenoftheredhand



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 2327
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been keeping up with Silver Spoon not because I dislike it (I actually found the first few chapters very enjoyable) but because I no longer enjoy reading manga online (maybe because I am getting older) and I don't want to start a new long series even by the manga-ka of my favorite manga.

But I think saying Arakawa is copying off of Moyashimon is a bit ridiculous. Just because they both take places in an agricultural school doesn't mean they are the same. Moyashimon dealt much more with the protagonist ability to see microbes, whereas Silver Spoon deals with the protagonist adjusting to a this new life style that he is not used to: a fish out of water so to speak.

I should also point out that Arakawa grew up on a dairy farm (hence why she draws herself as a cow) so if she is ripping off anyone it's her own life experiences.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Teriyaki Terrier



Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 5689
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
calimike wrote:
It's bored after I read few chapters. Viz, pls don't license it.


Given that I've read several chapters, I'll admit, the first few chapters kind of were lackluster. But after a while, it does get better.

But even though it's from Arakawa, I am not really sure if this would sell in the states. This series is kind of boring early on, so I am not sure it would sell that well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group