• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-02-02]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belligerent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
People just call Miyazaki "the Japanese Disney" because cartoon movies in America is Disney and most people who use that expression are explaining Miyazaki to people who don't know what he is.

If I told a crowd of people "well, I ride a Suzuki Marauder" or "I'm thinking about buying a Kawasaki Z750S," most people would look at me with question marks for eyes as to what exactly those bikes even looked like until I said "it's kind of like a Harley" or "it's kind of like a Ninja without plastic." Then they will at least have a visual frame of reference and move on to other things, like telling me that they know somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody who lost both arms and both legs and their nose in a motorcycle crash. To non-motorcycle enthusiasts, there are only Harleys and Ninjas.

To non-animation enthusiasts, there is only Disney and Disney. (well, there's PIXAR, now, but still, ask anybody on the street who makes a computer animated movie and their first guess will be Pixar, just like a lot of people think any traditionally animated feature is from the mouse factory). If you say "Miyazaki is like the Japanese Disney" people will say "oh," nod, and think about letting their kids watch his stuff.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
No worries. Aren't you, like, 21? By the time you retire you'll have had time to institute public policies keeping people like that under social quarrantine.

And if that doesn't happen... you'll only have yourself to blame. Twisted Evil

Whoa stockerish.....do you know my SSN too and how much I filed to have stolen from me this year or what? Well I can only imagine what this country will be like when we reach the era of the internet kids taking over the oval office....by then I'll have already moved to Canada, attempting to enjoy free med-care.

Also I forgot to mention about the anime Club and Zac's answer. Personally I really wish that my school had an anime club that was similar to what Zac said. Digisub as great as they are really changing/ruining anime clubs. Most clubs (that I've attended) have the last 5 episode of Bleach/Naruto run and then calls it a day. That is if you can find people who want to come most clubs are disbanding, and really that only thing I miss about anime is that face to face interaction. While I love coming to the Forums here and complaining about how no one has licensed Monster, or how happy I am Le Chevalier D'eon is coming out this month. But you can't replace that connection you get when you are face to face talking about the things you love to do.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[
Am I the only one who thought "Fruits Basket" live action when first seen? Wink
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Whoa stockerish.....do you know my SSN too and how much I filed to have stolen from me this year or what? Well I can only imagine what this country will be like when we reach the era of the internet kids taking over the oval office....by then I'll have already moved to Canada, attempting to enjoy free med-care.

Haha! Lucky guess. I always like guessing the age of the various regulars here by the hints they drop in their various posts. In your case, I knew you were young, but that you probably weren't a teenager anymore. But now that I look at your profile, you have your MySpace page there, so I coulda just gone there, had I the inclination.

Somehow I doubt Canada will be much better off once the internet generation runs the world. I wonder if all social interaction in South Korea will resemble World of Warcraft by then, tho.

Mohawk52 wrote:

Am I the only one who thought "Fruits Basket" live action when first seen? Wink

Wow. Now that you mention it... that WOULD explain why the cat is looking at the mouse that way. OTOH, I can only imagine was Shigure was like as a puppy. ("I don't think I feel like using the wee wee pads today.")
kolibri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
How could that FotW email be serious? He says "chi", but in Naruto they refer to it as "chakra". It seems unlikely that such a Naruto fanatic would make a mistake like that when (at least in the dub) the word "chi" has never been used (and in DBZ it was "ki", keep in mind, not "chi").

True, but even if someone had sent it in with the intent to wind Zac/us up, that would still need to be one lame no-life individual.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
The guy complaining about the new Evangelion movies and companies milking a franchise reminded me of how some people constantly complain about Square Enix making Final Fantasy games. That really bugs me. Mad
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I honestly think a much more accurate comparison for Miyazaki isn't Walt Disney, so much as Steven Spielberg. Both create movies with a strong social conscience that have broad appeal and are insanely popular across pretty much all demographics. But that's just me....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Aevin wrote:
In my opinion, a real fan would see the movie to support the franchise and then complain about how it ruined the story (if that is that fan's opinion). For example, I'm a Star Trek fan, and I'll (pay to) see anything new that the franchise produces, no matter how it mucks up the story/timeline (although a repeat viewing would be questionable). I simply appreciate that people still care about it, and I'm willing to support their efforts because I still care about it, too.

I dunno...that seems to turn all too easily into the type of negative fandom that watches something because they're looking forward to complaining about how it ruins the story, rather than making an honest attempt to enjoy it. (Although I suppose the fans who self-righteously proclaim that they won't watch something for that reason aren't much more fun to listen to.)
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
As for the rant, I can't say much that others haven't said already. I agree with the rant in that historically and practically speaking, the two are different. Yet as others have pointed out, each individual is the public face of their respective company and are both heralded as extremely important people in an industry they share. Those unfamiliar with Miyazaki (most likely those reading the media in which these comparisons are drawn) are given at least a basic image of the man: He's a highly regarded, highly skilled individual in the field of animation. I also really appreciate that the rant managed to draw the distinctions between Disney and Miyazaki without passing much of any opinionated judgments on either person.

As for the Eva question, I can't speak with much neutrality given that Evangelion is still and likely will always be my favorite series, but any company with a show that still does as much business as Eva does over 10 years after its initial air date is GOING to milk it. They make the merchandise because people buy it. The fact that they're making NEW animation is very exciting for me, though even I'm a bit nervous - not that I'm afraid it'll dilute or won't be as good as the original work, but that it just won't be good period.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zetsuie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
i cant believe there was a question about the eva movie s because i was thinking about asking zac if he knew when adv was going to release some news about a director for the film since they were suppose to release something at the end of 2006

and in the case of the animated films it would appear there just trying to make some money cause from what i heard the first movie is just a retailing of the show with no real new content that seems like a rip off cause they already did that once didn't they, although i might be mistaken

Last edited by zetsuie on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
zetsuie wrote:
i can't believe there was a question about the eva movie s because i was thinking about asking zac if he knew when adv was going to release some news about a director for the film since they were suppose to release something at the end of 2006

The question is in reference to the new animated films, the first of which is scheduled for release in the summer.
IDontSayLOL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
My earlier post showed up over 12 hours after i had posted it! Has that happened to anyone before?

Anyway,

A) MsCongeniality, thanks for your kind words on my LaughingAnswerMan banner.

B) Elsie, if you were implying that the cat posed a danger to the hamster, then i must say that it's the cold stare of the hamster that i find the most menacing in that photo. I have a gut feeling that it's the look a hamster gives before the carnage begins.

and C) Pinkwings, i dont really think the Eva / Final Fantasy comparison is a fair one. Eva is a single, linear story, whereas the FF games are self contained alternate universes which leave the preceeding and following games' stories completely untouched. FFXII can't possibly dillute or overstretch the events of FFIX, and so the only real threat they could pose to one another is the decay of the Final Fantasy banner itself, not the individual stories or characters. That being said, I don't feel that the Final Fantasy name is in all that much trouble of being muddied. Although i haven't really been keeping my ear to the ground on how FFXII has been received. Has anyone gotten the impression that the fans are saying 'enough is enough' to this one?

- AdamModiano.com
zetsuie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
zetsuie wrote:
i can't believe there was a question about the eva movie s because i was thinking about asking zac if he knew when adv was going to release some news about a director for the film since they were suppose to release something at the end of 2006

The question is in reference to the new animated films, the first of which is scheduled for release in the summer.

oh well they didn't say anything in thier question about it being animated but i'm still the one who looks like an idiot

but anyway do you know anything about whats going on with eva live action movie zac
Dark Mysty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Zakuroneko wrote:
musashi1600 wrote:
The degree I can relate to they guy who wrote about running an anime club is uncanny. I signed on to such a club that formed at my school last year, and truth be told, it's been disappointing for me. I was hoping to be able to socialize and chat about various titles I've seen, but most of the people in the club are only famililar with high-profile titles like Bleach, Naruto and Death Note. The disconnect between what I've seen and what they've seen can be summed up into a moment where someone thought Serial Experiments Lain was a hentai.

Sounds like my high school anime club right before we got disbanded by the school and our advisor was fired. We watched Inu Yasha episodes taped off Adult Swim because that was the only thing our unruly members would sit down and shut up for. That, and the Initial D dub. Our advisor (a closeted hardcore anime fanboy) and I conspired to show something new constantly, but it always failed. The members only wanted to watch what they had seen on Adult Swim the night before.

I know what you mean. On the few times my club watched anime, most members would not pay attention and they'd start talking amongst each other. (Unless it was Adult Swim anime like Trigun. THEN they'd actually watch.) The few people that actually want to watch give up after a few minutes, because you can't hear anything in that noise. Ugh. I'm glad that we don't watch anime that often in our club. I really wish the members would be open-minded enough to watch something they haven't seen before.
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
From that premise, a new work in the same continuity will tend to contradict the established information of "what happened." Especially if the new work is designed for commercial success, ambiguities and unpopular elements--which are often the very elements that generate the strong fandom--will have a strong tendency toward being blunted.
Last time I checked, the new Eva movies are remakes. And last I checked remakes were supposed to be different from the original. Besides, how do you know these movies are going to be bad before you've even see it? It's pointless to get all worked up over something when you don't even know how it's going to turn out yet. I also don't get why people think Eva is being milked just because it has tons of re-releases and merchandise. It's not like anyone put a gun up to your head and forced you to buy them. How come everybody complains about Eva being milked but nobody complains about Robotech being milked when Robotech has far more re-releases than Eva does? And I'm confused. I thought Tezuka Osamu was the Walt Disney Of Japan?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6