• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Puts Dragon Ball Z on Blu-ray Disc This Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
What an awful panel. Another DBZ rehash is their "big" announcement? And who wants to buy Z when the much superior Kai is already on Blu-ray?

Not everybody cares for Kai. Some like the original series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A5J4DX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
i just knew this would happen at the time of the remastered dvd releases but i own those bricks now so i dunno if ill bother buying these dbz is the only anime I've ever bought!
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I love the few people assuming the result of this remastering will be EXACTLY like the orange bricks, without any doubt whatsoever, based on no actual facts to speak of.

By all means, judge the quality when the inevitable trailer comes out. But not until then.

Kai remains preferable for those that prefer a dub, of course. As for the 17 episode thing, eh, we all know this release will be repacked if the price is that much of an issue.
A5J4DX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
for some reason im thinking it wont look that good in bluray come on in 1080p serious im a hardcore dbz fan but unless they redo the anime again like kai but keep everything like the original eps it wont look high def
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, is anyone REALLY surprised about this? We believed that the original DBZ series was going to go onto Blu-Ray right after the Dragon Boxes were done ages ago.

And I can't wait to see the new "remaster" job done to the sets this time. Hey FUNimation, word of advice, if you want to see a remaster done right, work with the fans so you know exactly what they want to see. Don't just assume that you know what they want.

spoofer wrote:
(and they angered many fans by cancelling Ultimate Uncut to focus on the butchered "Remastered" sets)

A move that the company still needs to apologize to the fans for to this day.
Mr Big200

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
no thanks I'll just get Kai on blu ray and keep my Dragon Boxes thank you=p
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I love Dragonball Z..it will always be one of my favorites..I'll will wait to see how the transfer looks but I most likely buy this considering I'm among the few on here who is quite curious and excited to see how this set turns out..Great Job Funimation now all you need to do is release the first Fullmetal Alchemist series on Bluray and I'll be a happy man.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
Yeah! I totally wanted these in 1080!

Rolling Eyes

1080p of the awful remasters? No thanks.

This!

I'll be sticking with my dragon box & Kai sets.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Great Job Funimation now all you need to do is release the first Fullmetal Alchemist series on Bluray and I'll be a happy man.

Man would I love a BD set of the first FMA.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
By all means, judge the quality when the inevitable trailer comes out. But not until then.

You do know that when FUNi first started promoting the orange bricks they faked a lot of the "poor quality" footage to make their remasters look better, right?

Not to mention the article says the exact same guy involved with those is involved with this release. So go fig.

DangerMouse wrote:
Man would I love a BD set of the first FMA.

Only if Japan does one first. Otherwise, that's just begging for nothing more than a DVD upscaling.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:

You do know that when FUNi first started promoting the orange bricks they faked a lot of the "poor quality" footage to make their remasters look better, right?

Not to mention the article says the exact same guy involved with those is involved with this release. So go fig.

It is not 2007 now and the Yu Yu Hakusho Blu-Ray trailer was legit. It's reasonable to wait and see what happens.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
Never really been interested in this franchise far too long (nothing beyond 50 episodes has been able to hold my interest the whole way) Hope it does well for Funimation though.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:03 am Reply with quote
Sorry Funi, but I'm good my Dragon Box. You guys just don't have the best track record when it comes to remastering DBZ.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:19 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
I love the few people assuming the result of this remastering will be EXACTLY like the orange bricks, without any doubt whatsoever, based on no actual facts to speak of.

Steve Franko is involved. He did the remastering for the Orange Bricks, so I could imagine why there would be much criticism. In any case, it's best to stick with either the Dragon Boxes or Kai releases, IMHO. And if you so desire the Falcouner tracks, then by all means, support the Blu Ray Sets.

My main issue with Orange Bricks wasn't so much the remastering process, but the pathetic attempt at formatting a full screen show from the 80s in widescreen. DBZ wasn't meant for widescreen. That's a fact whether you care or not. It's also why I was saddened a little when Kai aired on letterbox widescreen in Japan. Luckily, the DVD/Blu Ray releases in the US don't suffer from that. I think FUNimation is painfully aware of their past mistakes, whether it be cropping or remastering, so perhaps these sets are an attempt at improving their own remastering process? It's certainly a strange decision, but I guess whatever makes them money. I'm certainly hoping for a Dragon Ball Dragon Box release just to be consistent with my DBZ Dragon Boxes. It'd be nice considering they're just about throwing bones to whatever fans are out there with this announced Blu-Ray Release.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:32 am Reply with quote
I can say I'm pleased to a certain point. Those idiots left out Majin Buu in the Kai series. So I'll be getting Kai on Blu-ray, then the DBZ Buu Saga on Blu-ray and that's the whole story completed. Yay.

But then again, it's the original Japanese score they're gonna put. And the Japanese version of DBZ SUCKS!!! Goku's voice never matured, the fight scenes drag on and on with no background music to build up any intensity.

Hey FUNi, please put the American background music as an option.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6