• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Puts Dragon Ball Z on Blu-ray Disc This Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the Japanese version. I don't hold anything against dub fans for preferring the show that way however, certainly I'd like them to prefer some version of the show than to not like the show at all.

What did Goku say in the dub during those moments where he was sparing everyone (in the Funi dub)?
GASKA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:49 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Spoofer wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Making Goku a butch, moralizing superhero who spares his enemies out of the goodness of his heart barely changes the character?

... how is this any different in the original Japanese version? Goku spares his opponents left and right. The only two characters he intentionally kills in DB or DBZ are Piccolo Daimao and Kid Buu, aside from throwaway beasts or monsters here and there. He spares countless other characters, including Raditz the first time he grabbed him by the tail, Nappa after all his friends had been killed, the Ginyu Force, even Freeza 2 or 3 times before Freeza fired that final blast while Goku was trying to help him. He's always been moral, he always foolishly spares even the most dangerous opponents for short-sighted moral reasons, and he always foolishly extends fights longer than he should in order to enjoy battle. I don't recall this being different in any version.

As for being more butch in the American version? Is this simply because he is voiced by a man rather than a woman? Or is there more to the change? I don't recall any of his American voices changing the essence of the character, or American Goku/s sounding like more of a hardass than he was in the JP version.

He spares Vegeta because he wants to fight him again, not because it's the right thing to do. He spares the Ginyu goons because they can no longer fight. He crippled Nappa. Sparing Freeza so that he would have to live with the defeat by a Saiyan is far worse than killing him, and in the end, he did deliver a blast that he thought indeed killed him.

He advises SSJ2 Gohan to kill Cell as soon as possible!

Original Japanese Goku is an uncouth, unsophisticated hillbilly, not some great majestic hero the way the dub makes him out to be.

Whatever. Enjoy your preferred version. It's like an infant using a book as a hat. Sure, the book isn't intended to be used as a hat, but why rob them of that joy?

Nice Pen Pen avatar Wink I just joined this forum to tell you how right you are and how I can't believe you guys put up with that idiot TopGunman. He has no idea what the hell he's talking about and he acts so high and mighty I was relieved when you put him in his place. DBZ is great no matter how you watch it as long as you enjoy it. I hate the way Funi butchered it to hell however I love the American soundtrack better than the Japanese. My dream would be to watch DBZ in Japanese with the US soundtrack. Oh well...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6