• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Onward, Otakon!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I can' t really agree with any of the anime listed as under appreciated, I mean can I really take seriously a statement about Toradora being under appreciated? And Adachi's earlier work Touch is more under appreciated than Cross Games. If I had submitted an answer I would have went with more obscure series that are great and thus truly under appreciated like Gokinjo Monogatari or Glass Mask, but I guess things that came out a year ago are what the kids today see as under appreciated (fyi that last sentence made me sound really old but I'm really only barely into my 20's I swear, lol).
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I am going to have to seriously disagree on Viz not catching flack. These series are ones that will last to the end of time at this rate and hundreds of episodes. How many dollars have these fans already spent and how many more will the continue to spend and you are going to short change them two episodes. Lets just 25 bucks a boxset, for naruto alone, not counting shippuden there are 18 boxsets, are you kidding the series has more than double the boxsets that other shows just have dvds; thats 25 * 18 = 450 dollars. Im sorry we dont live in Japan (there are plenty of countries where you can get anime for even cheaper than the US), the rules are different here, so some one thats invested at minmum almost half of a thousand dollars into a show is in my opinion more then entitled to complain at such a tactic.

Besides I wont shed any tears for Viz anyway, because other than their ridiculous boxset gouging they have been known to cancel several manga titles that were some 10-20 volumes in, leaving the people to hold the bag.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
But generally speaking, most of the terrible, terrible upscales that have drawn the most ire are from the past, when Blu Ray authoring was an expensive and untested gamble. Now that companies have the whole thing more or less figured out, and with companies like Funimation with their own in-house Blu-ray authorization, any Blu-rays on the horizon are usually pretty safe bets.

Actually, aside from offering video that was inferior to the previous DVD editions, the real tragedy of poor upscaling lies in the fact that it is so stupidly simple to do (you basically just feed it into a video processor and you're done. It's been pretty mainstream since the late 90s.)

What is more, the infamous Samurai Champloo upscale wasn't a problem of the upscaling itself; FUNimation's very own in-house authoring amateurishly over-filtered the video to get rid of film grain - the digital film grain put in there by the animators, that is! The same authoring house also made the embarassing mistake of putting out poor PAL-NTSC transfers of some of their Hong Kong Films, although they eventually got the hang of it.

Now they've put out a respectable Champloo release. It's a nice gesture, but that came after two years of people just refusing to shut up about how much they hated the first one and getting next to zero acknowledgement all the while. If they would have admitted to it in a timely fashion the whole thing would have been much easier to swallow.

Last edited by dewlwieldthedarpachief on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Raikuro wrote:
ZakuAce wrote:
I'm fairly certain it's 12 episodes, and people are just counting it wrong.

They're talking about Naruto Shippuden box 7, which is eps 78-88. Leaving off that one episode cuts off the last episode of the Shikamaru story arc, right before it goes into filler-ish material again. (Which is likely what Viz intended. Trap a canon wrap-up episode in with horrible filler to get people to actually buy it.)

EXCEPT that filler arc also has canon material in it, so it's not like Viz is forcing you to watch something completely irrelevant.

A couple panels of manga material stuffed with irrelevant anime-only characters that will never be seen again and spread across 23 episodes is still bad filler.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah, sorry, but I'm on the whiners side when it comes to Viz. They managed to put the entire first canon portion of Bleach, 63 episodes, into only 3 boxsets. Then as soon as it hits the Bount filler arc, the next 46 episodes also somehow works out to 3 boxsets. And now you're saying they've dropped the sets to only 11 episodes? And charging the same or higher prices? I realize the economy is still shit, but giving people less for more is not exactly the best business practice in any economic climate.
And due to Viz's handling of both the Bleach anime and manga, and my general boredom with Naruto, the only thing I still buy from them is the One Piece manga, and only at cheap prices during online sales, now that they've decided to charge $10 a volume, as if they aren't already making money off of it running in their magazine.
Funimation has been getting 99% of my business for over a year now, and I don't see that changing any time soon.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:14 am Reply with quote
Darn. I had wanted to respond to this week's question but completely spaced it out. because of that I owe some gratitude to Matthew, who mentioned the sadly overlooked Kemono no Sou-ja Erin.

Beside that show, I also wanted to mention The House of Five Leaves. I feel most people who skipped this one did so because of the art style. Natsume Ono's characters aren't exactly beautiful, though I personally find the art unusual and appealing. It reminds me of wood-block prints, --but animated! Unfortunately, the people who dismissed this show because of the art missed out on a compelling, subtle and rather touching story/character study.

My other nomination was actually given a physical release. Oh! Edo Rocket! --The show is very funny, the (dub) script exceptional. My personal favorite dub of 2010.

As for sandwich, I usually go for roast beef, gorgonzola and roasted red peppers if I am at an Italian deli. I prefer the stronger, aged piccante gorgonzola. My other favorite would be a simple grilled/barbecued pork Bánh mì. --Yum. never get tired of it.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:38 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I can' t really agree with any of the anime listed as under appreciated, I mean can I really take seriously a statement about Toradora being under appreciated? And Adachi's earlier work Touch is more under appreciated than Cross Games. If I had submitted an answer I would have went with more obscure series that are great and thus truly under appreciated like Gokinjo Monogatari or Glass Mask, but I guess things that came out a year ago are what the kids today see as under appreciated (fyi that last sentence made me sound really old but I'm really only barely into my 20's I swear, lol).

Nah, those kids just know how to read. The question specifically stated "Going back over the past two years...", so none of your examples are valid for consideration. That's not to say that maybe you can't come up with better examples than what was printed (although if you disagree so much, why didn't you submit an answer then?) but Touch, Gokinjo Monogatari, and Glass Mask are all too old for the parameters of the question.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Though I don't have any interest in Shonen Jump series, I think even putting one less episode in each boxset is a legitimate problem. I mean, due to the size of those series, one less episode per boxset still means you'll be buying one or two more extra boxsets later on.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quote
The key to a good sandwich is to get the freshest bread possible, preferably right from the bakery. I tend to prefer using buns. Tuna salad on fresh bread is something of a staple for me. Sometimes I add onion and green peppers, but it is so important to use fresh bread.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Lets just 25 bucks a boxset, for naruto alone, not counting shippuden there are 18 boxsets, are you kidding the series has more than double the boxsets that other shows just have dvds; thats 25 * 18 = 450 dollars. Im sorry we don't live in Japan (there are plenty of countries where you can get anime for even cheaper than the US), the rules are different here, so some one thats invested at minmum almost half of a thousand dollars into a show is in my opinion more then entitled to complain at such a tactic.

Most "other shows" are not 220 episodes, though. They're 13-26 or maybe 52 episodes. Yes, Naruto is more expensive than many other shows, but only because there's more of it. But you're not paying a considerably different price on a per-episode or per-minute-runtime basis.

And yes, there are other countries where you can get anime even cheaper than the US, but (A) Japan is not one of them, as anime is more expensive there, and (B) most of those "even cheaper releases" are better-known as illegal pirated bootlegs.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Lets just 25 bucks a boxset, for naruto alone, not counting shippuden there are 18 boxsets, are you kidding the series has more than double the boxsets that other shows just have dvds; thats 25 * 18 = 450 dollars. Im sorry we don't live in Japan (there are plenty of countries where you can get anime for even cheaper than the US), the rules are different here, so some one thats invested at minmum almost half of a thousand dollars into a show is in my opinion more then entitled to complain at such a tactic.

Most "other shows" are not 220 episodes, though. They're 13-26 or maybe 52 episodes. Yes, Naruto is more expensive than many other shows, but only because there's more of it. But you're not paying a considerably different price on a per-episode or per-minute-runtime basis.

And yes, there are other countries where you can get anime even cheaper than the US, but (A) Japan is not one of them, as anime is more expensive there, and (B) most of those "even cheaper releases" are better-known as illegal pirated bootlegs.

Besides, anything is subject to price change anyways. One day a gallon of milk is $2.29; another day the same gallon is $2.49, subject to economic conditions. I suppose Viz could keep the same 13 episodes per box but charge more, which would be the same effect. Point is, just don't expect the same price per episode for an unending series for years and years....
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah, if you observe carefully, Viz's Shonen Jump manga volumes began at $7.99 apiece and later jumped up to $9.99. Those older releases still sell for that price. Look above the bar code on the back cover.

Also, I'd say that Blu-Rays are still going to be a side market, for as long as DVDs still exist for pretty much every release of anything movie or TV. The reason for this is because DVDs are cheaper than Blu-Rays, and I'd say most of the mainstream market is happy with DVD quality. Blu-Rays exist higher upstream and are more for the devoted audio-videophiles. For casual viewers though, DVDs are the way to go.

Me, I don't have anything around the house that can play Blu-Rays, and I personally find Blu-Rays to be too expensive for me. I'll pass up the increased definition when I'm satisfied with standard definition. And while I love extra features, the DVDs of stuff I get always have the features I care for (commentary, promotional materials, artwork), with the exception of the Pixar releases, but I'll go without that if it means I can pay $10 less.

If I am like most buyers of home video, and I think I am, Blu-Rays will only become the norm if companies in charge of home video decide to only release popular stuff on Blu-Rays, and Blu-Ray player prices drop below $100 brick-and-mortar. That is my price threshold on one anyway.

ice9 wrote:
My only issue with streaming and "the cloud" is that I have no control over when I lose access to a series. Anime is particularly difficult to bring back in any form once a license has expired or the the disc has gone out of print, so the idea that I could wake up and discover that Cross Game is no longer available in any legal format outside of Japan and most likely never will be is a little disturbing. (PS: Viz: I'll lay down my money on a pre-order if you give Cross Game a dvd release). Physical Media isn't necessarily a must - a digital copy is fine - but having control over your collection is vital.

Also: I actually read this while eating a sandwich.

Not to mention that physical video discs don't get wiped out if your storage medium suddenly and unexpectedly crashes. And I'm sure the companies distributing them won't let you have backup copies on separate storage out of fear that you'll distribute them to other people for free.

The King of Harts wrote:
However, the lady crossed the line. She asked what type of jelly I wanted, which is a reasonable question to ask. I answered grape. But then, then she has the gall to ask me if I want my bread toasted. I wanted to slap her. Who the hell toasts the bread to their PB&J? And if you say you do, I won't believe you because people don't do that. This woman is mocking me, I can tell. However, I somewhat kept my cool by responding, "No, ma'am, I'm normal, so I would just like normal bread with no hills please." That same sandwich maker started chuckling again after that response.

I actually never had a sandwich with untoasted bread until I was around 11 years old. My parents always toasted bread when I wanted a sandwich. They were under the impression that toasting "finishes" the bread, which they assumed you bought in an almost-finished state. (This is not out of hypochondria, but out of an unfamiliarity with American culture.)

I'd also like to bring up a factoid: Elvis Presley's favorite sandwich is peanut butter and sliced banana. The entire sandwich is grilled, peanut butter and bananas with the bread. I tried it, and it was great. I should heat my peanut butter sandwiches from now on.

teh*darkness wrote:
Yeah, sorry, but I'm on the whiners side when it comes to Viz. They managed to put the entire first canon portion of Bleach, 63 episodes, into only 3 boxsets. Then as soon as it hits the Bount filler arc, the next 46 episodes also somehow works out to 3 boxsets.

That actually makes mathematical sense. The minimum possible amount of episodes per DVD set to have 63 episodes across 3 volumes is 21 episodes per volume.

If this remained at 21 volumes, 46 episodes would still need 3 volumes. The third one would only have 4 episodes from that set, but it'd still require 3 volumes.

However, if each volume of the 63-episode portion contained 23 or more episodes, then yeah, it sounds like the episode count had to have decreased by the time the Bount filler arc started.

(I don't know anything about the Bleach DVDs. I just crunched the numbers provided.)
Toomuchanimetoolittletime

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:29 am Reply with quote
OMG!!! We've turned into the AnimeFoodNetwork..... Laughing
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote
I see sandwiches appear occasionally in anime, usually when one character prepares lunch for another character or characters. I haven't seen any discussion on-screen of what goes into them, however. Has anyone seen any anime that actually discusses sandwiches? I'm not counting filled buns, such as anpan or melonpan, nor pastries like chocolate cornets. Perhaps Yakitate Japan?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
It's not quite an anime, but apparently, Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik from Sonic loves deli-style sandwiches. He's eaten one in at least two games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3