• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds Durarara, Kore wa Zombie desu ka, Olimpos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Talesfan132

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, Yen Press will make alot of money out of these!
Durarara manag has three volumes right now, and Kore wa Desu ka has two right now, and it does take a good while before the actual volumen comes out, so it'll take forever. Only if they would pickup the light novels, but oh well, it's better to have little over none...
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping for the DRRR light novel as well. I've read the fan translations online and having a real legit one would be way cooler.

But yeah....the manga is pretty redundant to the anime. I feel like the art is kinda shabby too.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh shut up, Yen Press, and take my money! I'm definitely all for Durarara!! and Kore wa Zombie Desu ka! Very Happy
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Was anyone else super excited when they read that Yen Press added Durarara just to be super upset to find out it was the manga and not the light novels? Why cruel world!?!? WHY!?!!!

I guess the manga might be cool, hopefully its not like what they do with some manga that has previous adaptions. Like make it into a 1-2 volume compilation that isn't nearly as good. That would be a huge disappointment.

Last edited by Fletcher1991 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Duraccano

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Daaaarn it! So it wasn't the novels... Ugh.

Well, I'll still buy. (Also, yes, yes, yessssss. Pick up more Aki titles yen!)
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Gossip Girl horror re-imagining? Someone must've really hated these characters. Laughing

But seriously, the only thing that's mildly interesting to me is Olimpos. The cover art looks nice.
iamsymmetrical

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Wahh there is so much more demand for the novels! Kore wa zombie desu ka... ok
I don't know why I was getting my hopes up for Umineko.... this was disappointing...
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Super-bummed we're not getting the novels, that's really all I'm interested in... Sad
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
Really enjoyed Utahime so I'm looking forward to Aki's other manga!

Quote:
When asked about light novels, Yen Press head Kurt Hassler said that his company has no new light novel to announce, but it is looking at some properties and hopes to have something to announce in the not-so-distant future.

Okay, I'm reeeeally hoping this means if I buy up the DRRR!! manga they'll consider licensing the light novels (and Baccano!'s, too) a more monetarily viable endeavor? Mr. Green If so... Bring. It. On.
I'm more than happy and willing to crow about this series 'til the cows come home, if that's what it takes for more LNs to reach the states.

In the meantime, lemmie just say in closing...
THANK YOU, YEN!! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!! Keep up the stellar work!
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
Definitely wish it was the novels for Durarara and Is This a Zombie? instead of the manga, but the manga should be good as well. I assume the licensed manga for Is This a Zombie? is the main one, since apparently there are two spin-off ones.

My next wish would be for them to licensed the Umineko manga, and of course more light novels would rock.
sillyriri

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote
I'll probably buy Durarara, if only in the hopes that it will encourage them to license the LNs at some point. Add me to the 'had my hopes up for a minute, only to see them cruelly crushed' crowd Razz
Katsukasu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Honestly, since I already have the anime I don't want to buy the manga, I want to buy the LN to read the bits that got cut out in one or both adaptations, having two adaptations but not the original source seems a bit redundant.

At least (afaik and as far as I read the manga) the manga is an adaption of the light novels and not of the anime. As far as I had read it, there was nothing missing and the order of events was the exact same as in the novels (different from the anime).

Though I also can't see why they would license the manga and not the novels... These books are so friggin' good, I can't believe no western publisher wants to have this in their program...
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
Not interested in buying any of these, but I'm glad Yen Press got em, looks like titles that will do pretty well for them.

The Durarara manga...I'm just judging by the cover, but the art is so awkward...

[Insert Baccano/DRRR light novel comment here]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote
Katsukasu wrote:

Though I also can't see why they would license the manga and not the novels... These books are so friggin' good, I can't believe no western publisher wants to have this in their program...

Nobody buys novels anymore! Everybody just reads (and prints) the words off the interwebs! Laughing
(People don't even remember the last novel they bought.)
OniTasku

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:13 am Reply with quote
The Durarara!! manga is awful. The Kore Zombie desu ka manga is...tolerable.

Was really excited when I saw the initial headline, only to be vastly disappointed when I read the article. Why, Yen Press? I mean, don't get me wrong, I loved both the anime versions, but the light novels are clearly better than the half-ass (non-source material) manga adaptations.

It just frustrates me that this money could have been used towards something better. Like, I don't know, licensing The World God Only Knows, The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer, Mysterious Girlfriend X, or perhaps some old discontinued Tokyopop licenses?

I mean, really? I don't want to sound like a whiny little brat or anything, because I love Yen Press. They've become my favorite publisher in the US, but stuff like this...it leaves me with a bitter taste in my mouth. We may have a good fanbase for DRRR!! in the States, but this is just...ugh.

Honestly, bad move, IMO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4