• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Manga of 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
I believe HSotD got panned not necessarily because of the fanservice, but because the art is atrocious. Torpedo boobs are disgusting and completely unnatural. They just don't do that.

Qwaser's premise is just... gross.

IMHO, comic art's greatest strength is it's ability to exaggerate and, bringing out their essence in a way that's more real than reality. Ala Hiroyuki Imaishi, Sam Keith, Felipe Smith, etc. So that's not a negative to me. In fact, I love the art in HotD.

Re: Qwaser's premise being gross, Santos described "Lychee Light Club" as ""foul, [and] disgusting," so that can't be a consistent grounds for dismissal. Plus, a large number of Americans would consider the premise of "Wandering Son" equally gross.

It's a fair argument that sometimes execution can be just as important, sometime even more important than content, when it comes to whether an individual thinks that one title succeeds whereas another one fails
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Oriana3k wrote:
That list of most-anticipated upcoming manga has some titles that aren't licensed. Do they know something we don't? *crosses fingers for Gokusen*

According to Deb Aoki, the Most Anticipated Upcoming Manga list needs to be split in two: Most Anticipated and Most Wanted. Too bad, there are some titles there I would love to have, and I briefly got my hopes up.
charizardpal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Epic trolling by this pannel.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
starting with Mitsuru Adachi's baseball manga Cross Game. Butcher noted that Adachi serves as inspiration for many manga creators, including Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha creator Rumiko Takahashi. He also praised Viz's release of omnibus volumes rather than a larger number of shorter volumes. The other panelists joined in praising the series, noting that they've never cared as much about baseball games.

Now if only Viz would bring out Touch!......
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3