• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: LA Times Article on Tekkon Kinkreet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
Tekkon Kinkreet named MoMA Artforum Best Film 2006.

Tekkon premire at MoMA from April 25 to 30.
http://www.moma.org/

Making of Tekkon
http://www.pingmag.jp/2006/11/22/making-taiyo-matsumoto-tekkon-kinkreet-into-anime/
Neilworms

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
"I was an animation fan indeed, but I wasn't as mad as those freaks nowadays."

-Satoshi Kon (1)

I actually thought the fanservice in this film (this is something you'll very rarely hear me say) actually contributed positively to the point Kon was trying to make with this film.

spoiler[ I feel that Kon was interested in exploring the fantasy worlds we create for ourselves though popular culture, and how those worlds are being confused with reality in contemporary Japan. The fantasy world of Dr. Atsuko, who's cold, repressed and quiet in real life, is Paprika, a hypersexualized gregarious, superwoman who is omnipotent and omnipresent always in the collective fantasies of many of the films male characters. I feel that the whole panty shot thing feeds into this idea of collective fantasy (read unconsciousness) that the film was going for, the only time you saw such shots were inside the dream world and not in the "real world". In short felt it was perfectly in place for this kind of film. (wow did I just spend that long describing a panty shot, I think I should kill myself... )]

Don't be so embarassed, I thought Paprika was a very sexy character, far mroe than the vast majority of anime idols out there...

Ditto on the final confrontation... same with the whole film spoiler[I saw tons of paranoia agent in it, as well as a smattering of Millennium Actresses' whole meta film thing, and Perfect Blue's suspense and all of those work's confusion between fantasy and reality. I hope Kon does something different again, but I wasn't too impressed by his first attempt at something totally different which was Tokyo Godfathers. Kon needs to branch out a bit more and mature (whcih he is doing quite nicely, I re-watched Perfect Blue not to long ago, and I can definetly see the growth in talent and filmmaking ability over the years... and Ha to the whole Roujin Z thing, Kon did backgrounds in that anime...]

I cannot wait to get my own copy of paprika too... or at least see it in theatres (not like it will make it anywhere near here :P)...

Tekkon:

Kagemusha? You around? I'm sure you've read Black and White to answer this guy's question. (I wish I could help on that one)
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:00 am Reply with quote
Mushiko wrote:
(And then there was Gedo Senki. I went to see that with decidedly low expectations, and sadly, they weren't exceeded - rather to the contrary. I just feel a bit embarrassed that this movie will probably get a wide international distribution just because of the name "Ghibli" on it, while titles like Tekkon Kinkreet can only dream about it.)

Yeah, it's a shame. Thankfully Tekkon is catching the eye of the critics and earning a lot of acclaim (which certainly couldn't be said of Gedo Senki). But it would be nice if it got the huge mass media coverage that Ghibli films did. At least this film is hitting a potentially wider audience than Mind Game did, and maybe the "anime directed by an American" angle can be pushed during the US release to get more people's attention.

Mushiko wrote:
There are some bits of the backstory, which I hope someone who has read the manga could help me with. Particularly, what was the talk about spoiler[Saturn(??) - were some of the characters really aliens, and what about the protagonists?] Or did I just understand something horribly wrong?

No, you didn't misunderstand. spoiler[There are hints that the antagonists are aliens in the manga, too.] To be fair, the antagonists' back stories are intentionally vague, almost to the point that it's irrelevant, really. Like you said, the core of the story is the relationship between Kuro and Shiro, and that's the main focus of Taiyo Matsumoto's manga.

Wow, a Black & White manga fan thought the animation was better? Fans of the manga are notorious for being utterly devoted, so hearing that is pretty incredible. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Yeah, it almost sounds like a fan from the mid-nineties would say after seeing Ghost in the Shell for the first time. Not exactly an accurate description of the story either. Then again most good directors have some degree of pretension about them...

Quote:
Mushiko wrote:
There are some bits of the backstory, which I hope someone who has read the manga could help me with. Particularly, what was the talk about spoiler[Saturn(??) - were some of the characters really aliens, and what about the protagonists?] Or did I just understand something horribly wrong?

No, you didn't misunderstand. spoiler[There are hints that the antagonists are aliens in the manga, too.] To be fair, the antagonists' back stories are intentionally vague, almost to the point that it's irrelevant, really. Like you said, the core of the story is the relationship between Kuro and Shiro, and that's the main focus of Taiyo Matsumoto's manga.

Wow, a Black & White manga fan thought the animation was better? Fans of the manga are notorious for being utterly devoted, so hearing that is pretty incredible. Shocked

There are "hints" about some characters being not-of-this-world (I just though it was White being White), but it never really adds up to anything and there's no real symbolism or signifigance that would affect your enjoyment of the story. Matsumoto throws random shit like that in all his stories, and most of the time it's just for fun.
As for the anime compared with the manga, the one person I know who's seen/read both of them said the source material was still superior. He liked the film alot and said it has the same emotional resonance/cool factor as the manga, but apparently it doesn't quite capture the manga's unique storytelling style, and there's some odd pacing at times. He was still pretty enthusiastic about it, and he's not even really into animation.
Neilworms

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

You know other than violent, I'd have to agree with him... I mean anime when most Americans first saw it was just that, something very edgy and different than what most people associate with animation, yet when many people looked beyond the introductory films like Akira and Ghost in the Shell they got something totally different... I mean I totally understand where he's coming from.

Its this sort of mentality IMO that will keep the medium moving foward artistically, not an attitdue the worships fanservice... (cough cough current moe craze in Japan).
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:16 am Reply with quote
Neilworms wrote:
Its this sort of mentality IMO that will keep the medium moving foward artistically, not an attitdue the worships fanservice... (cough cough current moe craze in Japan).

Somehow I get the feeling you're not a fan of moe, Neilworms. Wink

Replace "violent" with "mature" and I agree with Arias's statement as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jay Seventy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:24 am Reply with quote
Don't know if it was a genuine trailer, but I've also seen footage from what appeared to be an animated version of Taiyo Matsumotos' No.5, but since Tekkon Kinkreet has garnered a lot of critical acclaim it wouldn't be a suprise to see some of his other works adapted.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Neilworms wrote:
GATSU wrote:

You know other than violent, I'd have to agree with him... I mean anime when most Americans first saw it was just that, something very edgy and different than what most people associate with animation, yet when many people looked beyond the introductory films like Akira and Ghost in the Shell they got something totally different... I mean I totally understand where he's coming from.

Its just the way he said it makes it sound like every anime should basically be a Studio 4C film, which wouldn't help anyone. Not only would that be bad creativly (if every single anime is experimental then even those will start to conform to a set of conventions) and commercially, but I appriciate mindless-entertainment from time to time. A balance between highbrow and lowbrow (incidentally, B&W is both) is generally in the best interest of everybody.

Moe is another issue that I'm not even going to get into...
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Neilworms wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Like Kagemusha pointed out, you need a variety. If every anime was a violent/surreal/intellectual story then not only would there be little to no diversity, but those excellent anime in that category would lose that distinction as being wonderfully unique. I love those types of works because they're infrequent and they're quality, not because they're mass produced.

For those that appreciate fine fiction, you need "conventional" storytelling just as much as you need "unconventional" storytelling. If you stick to one the end result is just going to be bland.

Quote:

Eh, they'll create what sells, just like any entertainment industry. (As an aside, I will admit to liking two moe-centered anime, so like any "genre" (incorrectly labeled), it isn't like it's all absolute trash.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2