• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Awards Finalists Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duo05001

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Rurouni kenshin should win every award category it's in the first 62 episodes of the show were the greatest episodes of any anime i have ever seen. Do not get me wrong i love FMA LOVE IT (DBZ because it was is my first is my top favorit anime, Kenshin then FMA, and Bleach). Thats really all i have to say i dont mind the award show anything promoting anime is good for me and this one day could possibly draw some celebrity figures to it and that would draw more fans. I just wanted to say Rurouni Kenshin should win everything because it was the best and how the hell wasn't Trust and Betrayal not nominated for anything WHY??? Seriously why? Some please tell me. Pokemon hey i loved it in 3rd grade like 10+ years ago.
Beruda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Just a few thoughts.

I thought these awards were going to be a serious and comprehensive look at anime and manga but alas no. As someone said it was just a popularity contest. My main problem with this thing was the way it was set up. There were to many choices in each list.

How can you put Naruto in the same catagory as FMA and RK when the Naruto isn't even completed. You can put Naruto in the same catagory as Bleach and Eureka because all of these series are still ongoing. And how can you put all of these anime titles in the same catagory as Astro Boy which is over 40 yrs. old! Astro Boy w/ Speed Racer and Gigantor, yes.

And there must have been 10 different kinds of manga in one catagory. They should have had 3 to 5 manga in their perspective genres not just lumped altogether.

I thought the Johnny Young Bosch / Akira nomination was a typo, very dissapointed to see that it was not.

Now I might be mistaken because I only saw the list once but I don't remember seeing, Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers and Jin Roh among other films which to me is a digrace, if they were not there. If they were my mistake.

As for awards in general I think fan participation is good but I would rather see a critics choice awards because as fans how many people get to pour over huge amounts of anime and manga, who has the time?

At least for industry people it's their job and they have the kind of access that most of us don't have and can't afford. Also good and great anime and manga that may not have a wide audience appeal would have a much better chance of getting recognition.

B.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
Man, this list is a joke and reeks of ignorance about the quality in anime, I mean: Naruto, Bleach and Fruits Basket for the best manga? though there are many fans of those series out there, these titles are mainstream and hardly can be called "the best", what about Monster and GTO? they have more detailed art, more depth, not to mention a better plot than all of those titles.

Hellsing and Ranma for the best short titles? How about the deep and philosophical Kino's journey and Haibane Renmei?

The so-so FF: Advent Children is one of the best movies released? I bet it will win relying on FF7's popularity alone.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
Actually, I voted for Fruits Basket. ^^; I've been reading a lot of manga...I probably read more manga than I watch anime...but I've never read a manga that's captured my imagination and tugged on my heartstrings as much as Fruits Basket.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
Well, like everyone else, I believe that this was seriously flawed from the very beginning. I did vote. But, I still think that this first year will be remembered for the issues concerning the nominated anime.

Hopefully, next year will have reason and logic applied to the possible choices...like being released in 2007....
animecritixx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:50 am Reply with quote
I have noticed a few negative comments about the finalists and the anime awards. I guess it is hard to impress everyone and being popular show are not always the best. That happens when people are able to have a democratic vote. GO DEATH NOTE!
nobody1801

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quote
animecritixx wrote:
I have noticed a few negative comments about the finalists and the anime awards. I guess it is hard to impress everyone and being popular show are not always the best. That happens when people are able to have a democratic vote. GO DEATH NOTE!

How was this democratic? We didn't pick the choices for these catagories, the companies did. We could only choose from the kooky lists they chose for us.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
nobody1801 wrote:

How was this democratic? We didn't pick the choices for these catagories, the companies did. We could only choose from the kooky lists they chose for us.

Well, they got to give us a list somehow, otherwise they'd have to sort through a bunch of votes saying things like "i vote 4 the guy who's saucekey!!1" or "Bugs Bunny."

Still, they've got to add some new rules next year about what can be nominated. AKIRA. IS. NOT. A. COMEDY.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:55 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Still, they've got to add some new rules next year about what can be nominated. AKIRA. IS. NOT. A. COMEDY.

AMEN!

LOL on the Bugs Bunny BTW!
yamiatem

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
Sad Crying or Very sad
I was really disappointed with the nominees and the finalist. Since when is Akira a comedy? Also why limit the voting to things that came out only this year? What about Some of the other animes that came out? I know that not everyone is a fan of YuGiOh but it is on the verge of becoming a cultural icon like POKEMAN. And was Dan Green even nominated? He has a very long and lustrious career in anime. His animeogriphy reads like a whose who of great anime shows and movies. I understand that Wayne Grayson won't be attending and I think that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles should have been in the running for the longest series since it has been incarnated 3 times. I really think that they dropped the ball on this one. But that is just my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:48 am Reply with quote
Trinity Blood not in the finalist for Best DVD Package design. Shocked

That's all I have to say.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
yamiatem wrote:
Also why limit the voting to things that came out only this year?

I feel that in the future years, voting should be limited to titles that have releases in the year concerned otherwise the same few titles will be nominated year after year after year. And people will not bother to vote in or watch the Awards.

Better care and conderation should have been taken by the nominators (not ANN) as which series was nominated for what - Akira being nominated for a comedy being a LARGE case in point. To me, it says that the nominators didn't care what they were nominating a series for, just a long as it got in a category. That, and the fact that they would think that we, the fans/voters, wouldn't notice.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

Better care and conderation should have been taken by the nominators (not ANN) as which series was nominated for what - Akira being nominated for a comedy being a LARGE case in point. To me, it says that the nominators didn't care what they were nominating a series for, just a long as it got in a category. That, and the fact that they would think that we, the fans/voters, wouldn't notice.

That's another problem I had with the awards (yeah, I know, I had a lot of problems). If Animaze was the ones who nominated him as 'best actor in a comedy' (I doubt the independant nominators would nominated Akira as a comedy), then they probably only nominated him because they felt he had a high chance of winning, not because they truely felt he deserved it (even though he's a great actor, and I think he DOES deserve an award). Basically, Johnny Young Bosch got reduced to a marketing scheme. He doesn't deserve that.

If he wins, it'll be a bitter victory for him, because a lot of people will probably be mad that he won as an actor in 'best comedy' for an anime that is anything BUT a comedy. (Even though he probably had nothing to do with the nomination.)
If he loses, it would probably be partially because he was nominated for Akira, and not for one of his more comedic roles. Either way, he's getting a raw deal here.

Well, a LOT of actors are getting a raw deal with this, really. It's such a mess!
Kaneda979

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't get this list at all. Why is Akira on there and FLCL? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE both of them, but they're both well over a year old aswell, probly some others on those list's too i'm over looking. If they're going to include those 2 aswell, then they need to have Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop in there too. Also there's allot of better movies that would fit better in the "Best Anime Feature" catagory, excluding Akira, if they are counting all anime ever made.

Don't get me started on them calling Akira a comedy. And as for the Hellsing Ultimate OVA being on the list, as much as I love the first episode and can't wait for the next one, the whole series isn't out yet or even finished, so why is it on there? Also why isn't Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. on the best "long series" list? 2nd GIG just finished up last year and it's an amazing series. I would say which one it should replace, but I'm not here to start up any flames. ;p

And lastly, since most anime series' are either 6-13, 26, or well past 26 episodes long, they should of done a mid length category for 26 episode series' and put all over 26 episode series shows in the "long" category. I hope they do better then this next year, because this is just screwy and amatureish at best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4