• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Switch Manga, Rin Yoshii Accused of Plagiarism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least Japanese publishers take plagiarism seriously. If she was caught doing that here...she would have had a book deal and another job before anyone could have sneezed.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
Gee whiz. And she was copying off that. Either change how it looks or even come up with a different facial expression. Or just talk to the original magazine, how hard is it to do something like that?! Was that by chance Rinka?
Ztarr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
It's fine to use reference material. Infact, in most cases it's stupid not to...especially when dressing characters in the latest fashions--there's nothing wrong with using fashion magazines to find good reference for clothing.

What's wrong with this sort of image is HOW MUCH she took...everything. The clothes, the colours, the pose, etc..

Using reference properly would be to use one image to get an idea for the clothes....another image to get an idea for the character's pose, and compile it all together using your own drawing skills.

It's important that young artists understand this--not only so that they don't get in trouble for copyright issues, but also so that they don't get comletely scared of using any kind of reference and end up wasting hours and hours of drawing time being frustrated over trying to come up with something completely from scratch. When you get stuck, use reference.

Besides, no one can ever come up with something completely knew--our brains just create new combinations of things we've already been exposed to. Do the same with reference.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:32 pm Reply with quote
What I don't understand is how hard could it been just to change the colors of the clothing or just the print of the hat, goodness she even put the same text on the shirt >.<
StickyToffeePopcorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:53 pm Reply with quote
wilson_x1999 wrote:
What I don't understand is how hard could it been just to change the colors of the clothing or just the print of the hat, goodness she even put the same text on the shirt >.<

Looking over these posts it seems pretty unanimous that Yoshi was guilty of plagiarism in people's opinions, but I still think she's being treated unfairly. Although changing certain details would've been more intelligent she probably was just referencing the original picture. For example, if a manga's character was drawn in the style of marylon monroe or madonna and there wasn't a detail changed, then it would instantly be recognised as parody and harmless. I understand that this commotion is because obviously the particular picture isn't nearly as recognisable, but none-the-less I think it's ridiculous. A warning or punishment would suffice, not a big, fat career-ending smack in the face.

Does anybody know if that was the only plagiarism accusation (that particular picture comparison in the earlier link), or were ther more?
Madame Bunni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Well, at least Japanese publishers take plagiarism seriously. If she was caught doing that here...she would have had a book deal and another job before anyone could have sneezed.

I dunno, assuming you're from the states (which if you're not, please disregard this comment), I think over here they're taking copyright infringement way overboard.

On another note, I remember Tokyopop releasing a series at one time called Under The Glass Moon, and while it was said to have three volumes, only two were released and the series was discontinued. One of the characters in the book, although a woman, was so obviously supposed to be Mana from the rock group Malice Mizer, that maybe I'm thinking this one was also trashed for plagiarism? I mean the character had the exact same outfits and hairstyles as Mana; I was surprised that the author could get away with it!

But despite that, I really enjoyed the series, and was sad to be left hanging after the second book. If I'm not mistaken, it was Korean, right? I wonder what really happened with it....
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Madame Bunni wrote:
On another note, I remember Tokyopop releasing a series at one time called Under The Glass Moon, and while it was said to have three volumes, only two were released and the series was discontinued. One of the characters in the book, although a woman, was so obviously supposed to be Mana from the rock group Malice Mizer, that maybe I'm thinking this one was also trashed for plagiarism?

I don't think so... I guess it just wasn't popular enough. If all 3 volumes were released in Japan then I don't think it was a copyright issue. Also, the anime Weiss Kreuz shamelessly copied poses and even clothes from photoes of JRock stars for its artwork, and it got released without any problems (I really wonder how they got away with it... maybe no-one noticed, or they actually had permission from the copyright holders).
Riyousha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote
This is just like a manga writer is accused of copyright infrigment. Usually, when your making a story similar to another story, you have to not copy the plot and inspire the plot from a story your own way. It's like when you're editting a page on Wikipedia, you have to put in text that you know in your own words.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I think its pretty ridiculous that this is considered bad. It's a [expletive] photograph of a human that she redrew. Big deal. I hate how modern culture is so fedually owned by everyone. Shouldn't these things be considered owned by the culture instead of big businesses?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I think its pretty ridiculous that this is considered bad. It's a [expletive] photograph of a human that she redrew. Big deal. I hate how modern culture is so fedually owned by everyone. Shouldn't these things be considered owned by the culture instead of big businesses?

It's not that she re-drew it...it's that she re-drew it exactly. Not one single thing was changed. If she had even changed the wording on the shirt, no one would have paid ANY attention. But, she didn't and someone remembered the original picture and called her on it.

Using something from real life is okay. People do that. But when you copy something so exactly then it shows that you are unable to use the slightest bit of creativity. That's okay for an amateur, that person is just learning...but for a professional, career suicide!
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:47 am Reply with quote
StickyToffeePopcorn wrote:
wilson_x1999 wrote:

Looking over these posts it seems pretty unanimous that Yoshi was guilty of plagiarism in people's opinions, but I still think she's being treated unfairly. Although changing certain details would've been more intelligent she probably was just referencing the original picture. For example, if a manga's character was drawn in the style of marylon monroe or madonna and there wasn't a detail changed, then it would instantly be recognised as parody and harmless. I understand that this commotion is because obviously the particular picture isn't nearly as recognisable, but none-the-less I think it's ridiculous. A warning or punishment would suffice, not a big, fat career-ending smack in the face.

Does anybody know if that was the only plagiarism accusation (that particular picture comparison in the earlier link), or were ther more?

The Slam Dunk! arthur, compare his drawings to the NBA photos:
http://www.geocities.jp/slamdunk_trace/

I still stand by that this is some sort of double standard for Rin Yoshi.
StickyToffeePopcorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:47 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

It's not that she re-drew it...it's that she re-drew it exactly. Not one single thing was changed. If she had even changed the wording on the shirt, no one would have paid ANY attention. But, she didn't and someone remembered the original picture and called her on it.

Using something from real life is okay. People do that. But when you copy something so exactly then it shows that you are unable to use the slightest bit of creativity. That's okay for an amateur, that person is just learning...but for a professional, career suicide!

What I don't understand is how any of us can be sure she wasn't just making a personal reference, putting her own character into the fashion photo she liked so much. It could just be one huuuge over-reaction.

guh Japan D:
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:20 am Reply with quote

What I don't understand is how any of us can be sure she wasn't just making a personal reference, putting her own character into the fashion photo she liked so much. It could just be one huuuge over-reaction.

guh Japan D:

Because EVERYTHING in the drawing was EXACTLY like the picture, down to the wording on the t-shirt. That goes waaaay beyond referencing the material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:48 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:

You just proved the point we're trying to make. The Slam Dunk! author MADE CHANGES! He DID NOT copy everything exactly. While the poses and the eye looks are same, the faces, the clothing and the backgrounds are not.

Rin Yoshi copied EVERYTHING right down to the wording on the T-shirt.
Ztarr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
wilson_x1999 wrote:

There is enough difference in the Slam Dunk/NBA photos to discount plagiarism. The Slam Dunk artist was simply referencing NBA photos for good basketball poses. You can clearly see that the artist drew from reference, and didn't trace and complete replicate the original image. NBA photos are a good source of acurate basketball poses if you want to create a realistic basketball manga...if you were making a figure skating manga you would use reference images from Olympic/World skating competitions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3