• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Switch Manga, Rin Yoshii Accused of Plagiarism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I think its pretty ridiculous that this is considered bad. It's a [expletive] photograph of a human that she redrew. Big deal. I hate how modern culture is so fedually owned by everyone. Shouldn't these things be considered owned by the culture instead of big businesses?

It's not that she re-drew it...it's that she re-drew it exactly. Not one single thing was changed. If she had even changed the wording on the shirt, no one would have paid ANY attention. But, she didn't and someone remembered the original picture and called her on it.

Using something from real life is okay. People do that. But when you copy something so exactly then it shows that you are unable to use the slightest bit of creativity. That's okay for an amateur, that person is just learning...but for a professional, career suicide!

Maybe she just really liked the picture?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote

Oh, I didn't think of it that way!

I really like Fullmetal Alchemist. I think I'll draw it out exactly the same, then publish it and make money off of it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gary leeman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Way to instantly ruin your career and all cred.
It's stupid.

But it is hard to believe that someone would actually do this without thinking of the consequences. There HAS to be a back story. If there isn't, than it is just one of the dumbest things you can do as an artist.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I agree that this is an over-reaction on the part of the biz. Everyone is right, she re-drew the picture exactly. So? If she was trying to steal the poze or something, then she WOULD have changed it. However, I think in this case, she was trying to draw the picture EXACTLY. No more, no less. While the reference should have been in there, it is not something that should end anyone's career.

As for the slam-dunk pictures that were referenced, those don't seem like a big deal either. Perspectives are simply hard to draw. Reference material is, in my opinion, encouraged. I draw also. I have a wooden doll on my desk that I can pose to get help with perspectives.
Karala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
OMG!! Nooooo!! I really like Switch... and on top of that, I LOVE her doujinshi where she works under the pen name Naked Ape. She's got some beautiful Naruto doujinshi, this is really sad news. Sad
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:05 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

I really like Fullmetal Alchemist. I think I'll draw it out exactly the same, then publish it and make money off of it!

I'll buy it from you! What do you plan on calling it?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Tinfoil Warlock!

Yay! I have my first fan! Anime smile Maybe you could cosplay as Eduardo Elliot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Tinfoil Warlock!

Yay! I have my first fan! Anime smile Maybe you could cosplay as Eduardo Elliot!

Nah...I'll probably go as his brother, Alberto. It'll hide the fact that I can "pinch more than an inch" (yes, I'm dating myself...but do any of you know what that is from?)
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Tinfoil Warlock!

Nah...I'll probably go as his brother, Alberto. It'll hide the fact that I can "pinch more than an inch" (yes, I'm dating myself...but do any of you know what that is from?)

Oh man, that seriously brightened up an otherwise crummy day Anime hyper

Back on topic, I too would be interested to hear the author's side of this. I think if she was trying to actually plagiarize she would have changed something, but there had to be a reason for her exactly copying the picture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:27 am Reply with quote
BTW, Takeshi Obata swiped one of the panels of Mello eating chocolate in Death Note from Flame of Recca.
zebedeee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Karala wrote:
OMG!! Nooooo!! I really like Switch... and on top of that, I LOVE her doujinshi where she works under the pen name Naked Ape. She's got some beautiful Naruto doujinshi, this is really sad news. Sad

That's a different Switch. There's at least 3 manga's by the name of Switch. Naked Ape consists of Saki Otoh and Nakamura Tomomi and their doujinshi circle is called Acute Girls.
ladykibble

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:38 am Reply with quote
I don't really know what to think about this, especially after seeing this comparison of the Nana manga (also serialized in "Cookie")

http://community.livejournal.com/blackstones/85219.html

While more is changed between the Nana drawing and photo compared to Rin Yoshi's drawing, it still seems like a bit of a double standard coming from Cookie. I imagine since Nana makes them a lot more money, they're more inclined to let it slide, but who knows?
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
Anime News Network wrote:
Shueisha suspends the publication of all manga by Rin Yoshi

Rin Yoshi's manga Switch, one of the titles currently serialized in the "Cookie" manga magazine, will no longer appear in the magazine as of the April issue due to accusations of copyright infringement.

The family name of the manga-ka is Yoshii.

Anime News Network wrote:
In a statement on their official site, Editor-in-Chief Umeo Kamitsuo has stated that the opening pages of Switch, from the January issue of Cookie, were a reproduction of images from the "Gravure" fashion magazine.

The name of Editor-in-Chief of Cookie is Umeoka Mitsuo.
The statement on the Cookie site says, ' 『SWITCH』(吉井凜・作)の扉および予告ページのイラストが、ファッション誌のグラビア写真を模写したものである事が判明いたしました。' This 'グラビア' doesn't signify the name of the fashion magazine. This 'グラビア写真' means a gravure picture or gravure pictures.
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
Maybe, it's because I'm in America but I thought the whole incident was totally out of hand. I mean, maybe the picture is a parody of her favorite fashion picture. If someone were to do that in American comics, it wouldn't blink an eye. One thing that bugs me about the Japanese entertainment industry is that if a manga-ka or a music artist do something slightly illegal or contraverisal, anything of that said artist did gets pull off the shelves. Very much like that Takeshi Obata's (of Death Note and Hikaru no Go) incident with the police because he had a knife in the car that exceeds the legal limit of length of knives in public. They almost pulled all of Obata's stuff and pretty end his career for a small incident.

This case is much clearly different compared to that incident with the manga-ka of Flower of Eden. Yoshii may used the pose, colors or whatnot but the person is clearly her character in her style.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
ArielTsuki wrote:
Maybe, it's because I'm in America but I thought the whole incident was totally out of hand. I mean, maybe the picture is a parody of her favorite fashion picture. If someone were to do that in American comics, it wouldn't blink an eye. One thing that bugs me about the Japanese entertainment industry is that if a manga-ka or a music artist do something slightly illegal or contraverisal, anything of that said artist did gets pull off the shelves. Very much like that Takeshi Obata's (of Death Note and Hikaru no Go) incident with the police because he had a knife in the car that exceeds the legal limit of length of knives in public. They almost pulled all of Obata's stuff and pretty end his career for a small incident.

Well that should tell you that when they're pulling everything by somebody, they do things differently in Japan than they do here in America. Japanese are very prideful, and doing something like basically brings dishonor to everything that you've worked to accomplish, so there is no room left to make a mistake, especially when it's coming down to plagiarism. Although, this is the first case I've heard of plagiarism in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3