• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Brazil Welcomes Late Night Anime Block

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:13 pm Reply with quote
This is kind of surprising. No, not the fact that a TV station in Brazil is starting its own anime block, it's the fact that Ranma ½ is part of it. Honestly, due to its age, I never thought it would have a shot to be broadcasted nowadays The lineup (with the exception of Love Hina) is quite the heavy hitter as well.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:17 am Reply with quote
What I don't understand is ANN having more news coverage on anime in Brazil (mostly by this Sandra Monte) than any other country outside North America (and Japan, of course). A prelude for ANN.br?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ninja337

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
What I don't understand is ANN having more news coverage on anime in Brazil (mostly by this Sandra Monte) than any other country outside North America (and Japan, of course). A prelude for ANN.br?

It would be cool if there was a news map for Anime News Network to see hotspots in coverage.
holl.e.rama

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
This is kind of surprising. No, not the fact that a TV station in Brazil is starting its own anime block, it's the fact that Ranma ½ is part of it. Honestly, due to its age, I never thought it would have a shot to be broadcasted nowadays The lineup (with the exception of Love Hina) is quite the heavy hitter as well.

Ranma has been broadcasted in South America for years. I don't know about now, but it was pretty popular. It doesn't really mesh with the other titles mentioned, but I can see how it would be something they'd put in a line-up.

@dormcat: I don't know for sure, but it seems like there are a really lot of Brazilian anime fans out there. I come across them and their fansites online all the time. If there's a lot of news coming from Brazil, it's probably because there are a number of Brazilian fans submitting news here (like the user you mentioned).
Sago

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, time for a brazilian says something about this.

Otacraze is going to air in the channel "PlayTV", also know as "Rede21".

Samurai Champloo, Trigun, Love Hina, Heat Guy J and Gungrave are completely uncut and unedited. Ranma 1/2 is an exception, since they obscured women's nipples.

Ranma 1/2 really was in Latin America some time from now, but in Brazil it's a bit "late", because Cartoon Network held the show to be aired after "new shows" (some of them really DID air, like Trigun and Cinderella Boy. But there's still a long list of not-aired, like Gungrave, Ikkitousen, and others) but took too long.

About ANN.br, wow, that would be way cool ^^ But we do have a site that is somehow similar do ANN, called AnimePró. It has news and a lot of columns, it just doesn't have that enormous encyclopedia... oh well.

Last edited by Sago on Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Hollerama wrote:

Ranma has been broadcasted in South America for years. I don't know about now, but it was pretty popular. It doesn't really mesh with the other titles mentioned, but I can see how it would be something they'd put in a line-up.

Huh, you learn something new every day.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
Hollerama wrote:

Huh, you learn something new every day.

Prior to the second millennium, North America was only faster than Africa on the level of acceptance of anime. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Gage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote
So I'm a little behind in this topic but a couple posts catch my attention:

Dormcat, what about a basic global news organization site. Covering France, Europe, Korea, Brazil, etc. though that would be a bit of a hassle if based in the United States or where ever in America.

Also, if I could, could someone give me the ending time for Otacraze - the post only suggests it begins at 11:30 pm but no conclusion time. Thanks

I also know that there is Anime World News but the website only reports and links to sites based in the US or UK that only handle news coming out of those locations --- mostly in the US.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Gage wrote:
Dormcat, what about a basic global news organization site. Covering France, Europe, Korea, Brazil, etc. though that would be a bit of a hassle if based in the United States or where ever in America.

You know, I'd be more than happy to see ANN covering anime-related news outside of North America (and Japan, of course). Seeing "[anime XYZ] will air on channel 123 at 12:34" as front page news, while omitting new licenses or conventions around the world, makes me sad. However, as far as I know, ANN do not have enough manpower or resource to do the alternative at this moment, and the purpose of this site was to serve the fandom of North America in the very beginning.

(You do know I'm not American, don't you?)
Gage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Very true and that is completely understandable. But hey, if you find some people throughout the world that are interested in anime journalism (not necessarily people relating to ANN) you just never know what they could start.

Look at Justin. Just someone interested in the journalism and look what he created, ANN! Smile
Rabobinair

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:08 am Reply with quote
Sago wrote:

Samurai Champloo, Trigun, Love Hina, Heat Guy J and Gungrave are completely uncut and unedited. Ranma 1/2 is an exception, since they obscured women's nipples.

First off that’s the lineup? Dear..........I wish we had a lineup like that. Speaking of which I need to call my cable company when I move to my new place to get the anime network. How is that overall? I have been stuck in Alaska where they do not offer it. Stupid monopolies...... I mean I just want to watch my anime.......with out paying so so much.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1