• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Like the Clouds, Like the Wind

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NGE1113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:02 am Reply with quote
Somehow, I found the discussion on The Silk Road series more intriguing than the discussion on Kumo no you ni, Kaze no you ni. Perhaps it's the history buff in me. Anyways, this documentary feels like something that's right up my alley; I'm especially infatuated in learning about past civilizations. Furthermore, to make things better, nearly every library branch in my home county possesses a complete set of the videos. This is kind of a big deal to me, since my county library doesn't have much to lend out in the way of visual materials. I will be checking up on this sooner than later.

As for Kumo no you ni, Kaze no you ni, I'll probably add it to my watch list, but I need to go watch/finish up several other series before I get around to it. The premise and execution is interesting enough so that I won't be ignoring this movie. However, I'd rather watch it after going through Silk Road. Doing so could result in a fun watch trying to pinpoint specific influences from the documentary.
HarlockHero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:25 am Reply with quote
Yes! Another "Buried Treasure"!

Justin (if you don't mind the familiarity), I simply love this column. It's become my favorite thing about ANN in a very short amount of time. Listening to you describe your (largely fantastic) nostalgia for the smoke and neon of the 80s, I almost had to scroll to the top of the column to make sure I hadn't written it myself, and then just a few weeks after that, you introduced me to the glory of TIME STRANGER! I wish you'd start doing these weekly!

Your description of the melancholy tone of The Silk Road convinced me at once that it's something I would love. One of the best things about the 80s to me is the odd concurrence of melancholy nostalgia and optimistic futurism. I love that you can be so sentimental about things like this; it gives your reviews and recommendations a lot more weight than other reviewers who strive (largely in vain) for some type of objectivity.

Keep up the good work; "Buried Treasure" is itself a treasure!
Akukame

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:58 am Reply with quote
You know, when more than 5 people in one day wander into a channel thats been long dead, you always begin to wonder.... "what changed between yesterday and today?". But its nice seeing that Like the Clouds, Like the Wind wasn't long fogotten. ^^

Quote:
This belief was further complicated by the film's lone fansubber, who actually translated the credits: Directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

I'm suprised that went unnoticed. I know we had discussed it not being ghibli and not being Miyazaki... I guess it slipped through the loops somewhere. Anime hyper Oh well, it was a long time ago Anime hyper

EDIT: Looking back on it, we didn't even translate the credits. I guess perhaps the misconception comes from somewhere else then.

Silk Road on the other hand does sound like an interesting watch. I only wonder if I can sit through something like that. I mean, not that its not full of interesting things, but thats quite a lengthy documentary. I sometimes find myself taking movie length documentaries quite hard. I guess my attention span is just too short.

Last edited by Akukame on Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:37 am Reply with quote
When I just saw the small description at the frontpage of ANN, before even having to click and read on, I knew that the inspiration was from the ancient Chinese.
I've never watched "Like the Clouds, Like the Wind" before, but it looks very interesting.
By the way, I had "The Silk Road" here on TV. Those who are subscribed to TVBS Europe could've watch it in Cantonese. Alas, I never watched any of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:27 am Reply with quote
Gosh, what a coincidence. I just downloaded a fansub of Like the Clouds, Like the Wind yesterday. I was browsing ANN's encyclopedia, and that name caught my eye. So I read the synopsis, which looked interesting, and I also noticed Katsuya Kondo's name in the credits. Seeing Kondo's name was enough to prompt me to look for a fansub (which wasn't hard at all). I did notice the Miyazaki name, but I figured that this person wasn't related, or I'd have heard of of them by now (I guess I was right, lol). I've yet to watch this film, but after reading the article, I'll make it a priority.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rocklobster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
Can I start a petition for this Miayazaki story?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
kittycatgirl2k

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote
I love Buried Treasure too. Its quickly become one of my favorite articles on the interweb...period. I love the writing style, which mixes in personal nostalgia and fact. It is excellently written and intriguing to read, unlike much of the sterile writing to be found on the net. Kudos for another great column, and here's another hope vote to make this weekly. So far I have checked out Time Stranger because of it, something I likely would have never heard of if it wasn't for this column. Smile
Gauss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote
Wow, I remember watching the Silk Road in the 80s. Really enjoyed it and it certainly made clear what an important trade route it was. Sad to see that the Silk Road almost always only gets a few lines in the history books. By now it would be a double history documentary, both of the ancient road and what Asia looked like two decades ago.
darcerin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
*Great* article. I REALLY enjoyed reading about the Silk Road documentary.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Glad everyone enjoyed the Silk Road write-up. The reason this article is a week late was because it was originally JUST the Silk Road section. Zac and I agreed that it might not be "anime" enough to be relevant, so I piggy-backed it onto another review. I actually had much less to write about Like the Clouds, Like the Wind than I thought I did, so the double-length format this week was actually a blessing.

That said, "Like the Clouds" is the first Buried Treasure entry that I don't LOVE. I didn't realize that until I started writing. I like it a lot, but I think my lack of the usual enthusiasm came through this time. (Either that, or I simply shouldn't write while I have the flu.) Conversely, "Silk Road" practically rules my life. I'm glad I was able to share my thoughts on it, even if I had to turn in a sub-par half-column in order to do so.

I'm still trying to find my direction on this column, but I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying the process. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on how much live action I should cover; there are a number of live action Japanese films that I think would be of interest to anime fans, and I'd love to write about them.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Like they say the old stuff is always the best. Of course I'm talking about the 'Silk Road'. A very good review on this series. I'd be very interested to see this series. And being a worker at an art college library we've carry material on these types of subject matters anyway. I already threw it on the table as a recommendation. Amazon apparently is selling it now. There's apparently a LE boxset to celebrate it's re-release. But based on some of the references given from anime shows is all the more reason I would like to see the series.

Now for that movie 'Like the Clouds, Like the Wind'. Now I remember reading about this title on 'Nausicaa.net'. They gave a list of shows that were associated with Ghibli but at the same time not. Again this is what happens, when an artist from 'Ghibli' goes to do design work for another studio, bringing with him a very well known style. One can see why many would be confused. Though 'Castle of Cagliostro', isn't affected that way. You know 'Ghibli' had a hand in it but it's still a 'Lupin' flick.

*Did you know that 'Ghibli' studio's worked on the 2nd 'Devilman' movie? Just check the animation, music, and credits and you'll see the name 'Studio Totoro'. Razz I had forgotten about the 'Jade Cocoon' deal.

With a feature like 'Like the Clouds, Like the Wind', anyone could see it was a stand alone feature that might be tied to 'Ghibli'. Considering that many studios are releasing older anime features now, they should bring this over. We could certain use seeing more classic works. I'd be curious to see this as well.

Good write up. Wink
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Glad everyone enjoyed the Silk Road write-up. The reason this article is a week late was because it was originally JUST the Silk Road section. Zac and I agreed that it might not be "anime" enough to be relevant, so I piggy-backed it onto another review. I actually had much less to write about Like the Clouds, Like the Wind than I thought I did, so the double-length format this week was actually a blessing.

That said, "Like the Clouds" is the first Buried Treasure entry that I don't LOVE. I didn't realize that until I started writing. I like it a lot, but I think my lack of the usual enthusiasm came through this time. (Either that, or I simply shouldn't write while I have the flu.) Conversely, "Silk Road" practically rules my life. I'm glad I was able to share my thoughts on it, even if I had to turn in a sub-par half-column in order to do so.

I'm still trying to find my direction on this column, but I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying the process. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on how much live action I should cover; there are a number of live action Japanese films that I think would be of interest to anime fans, and I'd love to write about them.

For me personally, if you're going to write about live action, I would prefer you continue to structure the columns just like this one, where you first give the anime Buried Treasure and then tie the live action movie to it. To be brutally honest, if I had seen on the front page that the review was of a live action documentary, I wouldn't have even bothered clicking on it. But the review of LtC,LtW as fascinating enough that it sucked me in, and now, I want to see BOTH of these features.

I do hope your future columns continue to stress the "treasure" in buried treasure....while I'm surprised you don't "LOVE" LtC,LtW (your review was, I thought, overwhelmingly positive), I do hope you continue to concentrate on anime that are good AND obscure, rather than just obscure.

A great column overall....keep up the good work!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:36 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
For me personally, if you're going to write about live action, I would prefer you continue to structure the columns just like this one, where you first give the anime Buried Treasure and then tie the live action movie to it. To be brutally honest, if I had seen on the front page that the review was of a live action documentary, I wouldn't have even bothered clicking on it. But the review of LtC,LtW as fascinating enough that it sucked me in, and now, I want to see BOTH of these features.

I do hope your future columns continue to stress the "treasure" in buried treasure....while I'm surprised you don't "LOVE" LtC,LtW (your review was, I thought, overwhelmingly positive), I do hope you continue to concentrate on anime that are good AND obscure, rather than just obscure.

Well, to clarify, I do really really like LtC, LtW, on the same level as I like, say, Totoro. I don't LOVE either film -- they haven't been the life-enhancing "I'll take this with me as I move on with life" experience that Time Stranger was, or the artistic movement referenced in the back of your head every once in a while like Robot Carnival was. It's good on its own merits, it just didn't move me on the same level as other "Buried Treasures."

But I'm glad Zac's concern about the subject matter wasn't unfounded; once he pointed it out to me I couldn't help but agree as well.

What about non-documentary feature films? Do those need anime tie-ins as well?
wilfp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching The Silk Road quite a few years ago and enjoyed it. However I think that the music was done by Kitaro and is definately worth a mention.
W
Area88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I think the double feature layout should be used for all non-anime titles. That way the column should always attract a bigger crowd than just having it on it's own.

I too am mostly interested in seeing more anime than anything else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2