• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Like the Clouds, Like the Wind

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
What about non-documentary feature films? Do those need anime tie-ins as well?

Just the opinion of one guy, but I would say that yes, it would be a good idea. Honestly, there's a million sites out there that review live action movies, but I come to ANN for one reason: to read about anime and manga. To get me to read about a live action movie, unless it was one with obviously strong anime/manga ties like Train Man (not exactly "buried") or the American live action Fist of the North Star movie (not exactly "treasure" Razz ), I'd basically have to be "tricked" into it with some kind of anime connection. If it's done with as much skill as this week's column, it should work wonders.

But hey, I'm just one guy. The column is new, so you're free to experiment. I would imagine one of ANN's web guru would be able to look in your site tracker and see if the hit count is higher or lower for any specific kind of content. If they'd share that information with you, that is. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Axe-336

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I saw Like the Clouds Like the Wind a while ago and, while I can see how someone might mistake it for a Miyazaki film, at the same time I can't. The animation isn't Miyazaki's usual level of detail for one thing, and, while its a good movie, its not Miyazaki good. Though I guess if someone plastered his name on it...

Anyway, I thought the Silk Road thing was interesting, I think I'll try and get it... Well, once I have disposable income -_-......
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
The article was nice. It seemed like a good story- hopefully i'll be able to find it.

You must know a lot of different people to know a Buddhist monk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while, but I've seen The Silk Road before, in one of my classes. I definitely remember seeing Central Park Media in the credits, which I found interesting (I wasn't really too aware at that point that they released documentaries too)
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

Well, yes, and living in NYC certainly helps. My monk friend happens to work with me, though, so that was pure luck. It's not my place to say more, but he's absolutely the most interesting person I've ever met. (I certainly hope he writes his autobiography someday.)
Mushiko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the Silk Road coverage!

It was really interesting to read about the documentary's huge influence in Japan, and I must say, I'm not a bit surprised about that. As Gauss said, we had it on Finnish tv in the 80's, and it remains perhaps the most nostalgic and memorable tv-program of my childhood. The opening, with Kitaro's "Silk Road" -theme, still brings me chills, and names like Tienshan, Taklimakan and Karakorum have a magical resonance forever attached to them. I'll have to poll some Japanese and see, if they still remember the program like that.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:06 am Reply with quote
Silk Road ran on Danish TV in the 80s, too, and I saw the whole series back then. I've also seen Like the Clouds, Like the Wind (hmmm... I find it hard not to think of it as KumoKaze, though the English title is a perfectly respectable translation).

Like Justin, I don't love LtC, LtW, but I do find it moving and entertaining. The review does the anime a slight disservice by omitting any mention that the climax of the anime involves some themes that aren't quite as accessible to younger viewers as the first 3/4 of the story.

Justin Sevakis, in the review, wrote:
Before long, it's all hands on deck, as the entire cast gangs together to guard the castle.

Reading that, one might conclude that it's all action-based fun from there on, but the final part of the anime (trying hard not to spoil anything, here) is actually pretty grim in places.

Which isn't to say that it shouldn't be shown to children (I have), but a bit of parental guidance is definitely required.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:01 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Like Justin, I don't love LtC, LtW, but I do find it moving and entertaining. The review does the anime a slight disservice by omitting any mention that the climax of the anime involves some themes that aren't quite as accessible to younger viewers as the first 3/4 of the story.

This is how I feel, too. I was caught way off-guard by Ginga and Koryuun's relationship at the climax of the film, as the tone and mood of the film shifted so dramatically from the earlier scenes. I enjoyed the last act of the film much more than the first two, and found it highly emotionally satisfying.

Like others have said, though, I agree that it's a good film, but not a great one. It's definitely worth viewing for any anime fan, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MutedDragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Loved it though depressing at end. I kept getting confused on whether it was set in Japan or China.
10円

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
In a departure from my usually busy ranting schedule I feel I must stop and take time to rave about the excellent Buried Treasure column. It's truly becoming the most consistently interesting feature at ANN in my view. Several of the various columns here an ANN have left me intrigued or impressed at one time or another, but Buried Treasure has managed to eclipse them all with its musky nostalgia and sentimental prose. Although Zac obviously has a good read on ANN's audience I'm not terribly concerned about live action titles being presented alone myself. However, since the wind already seems to be blowing the other way I'll defer to the wishes of others and take it however it's offered.
Vikio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
The article was nice. It seemed like a good story- hopefully i'll be able to find it.

rofl, Anime hyper well I don't know that many people, but I know a Buddhist monk too!...(well, a Lama actually) But I also live near New York City, which is probably the center of diversity of the whole world...so maybe it's not that surprising.

Now about the column: Since the last one, I watched the "Time Stranger" tape hiding in my school's library, and found some of the fantasy elements really odd, but the actual story was wonderful! Consequently, I was a little dissapointed that I had already stumbled on this week's buried treasure myself (a few months ago, and thanks to ANN of course Wink ) But I haven't seen "Silk Road", so I've still got something to look forward to. I think KumoKaze is more of a buried semi-precious stone, it is very good, but not life-altering. Definitely worth seeing anyway just because Ginga is the Suzumiya Haruhi of Medieval China, minus the SciFi. (please don't kill me for drawing the parallel)

Oh, and I am totally FOR the reviews of Live Action, as long as there is cultural background info like with "Silk Road" and maybe examples of the movie's relation to anime. I don't expect two full reviews every time. Keep up the amazing and very interesting work! Anime smile
KocaKoala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:05 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching Like the Clouds, Like the Wind about 15 minutes ago. I must say it was/is a great movie. It didn't really move me in the same way as most anime like it. Most tend to make me sad at some point, but the lovable characters in this movie made me smile time and time again.

As for Silk Road, I'll definitely have to check in to it.
Amasa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
abunai wrote:

This is how I feel, too. I was caught way off-guard by Ginga and Koryuun's relationship at the climax of the film, as the tone and mood of the film shifted so dramatically from the earlier scenes. I enjoyed the last act of the film much more than the first two, and found it highly emotionally satisfying.

Like others have said, though, I agree that it's a good film, but not a great one. It's definitely worth viewing for any anime fan, though.

I really enjoyed the film but was disappointed with the darker turn towards the end. I found the initial atmosphere of the show quite charming and innocent. When I found out what the film was about I was expecting a very sad and desperate tone but when I realized Ginga to be a charismatic and 'boyish' type character I was relieved. The Chinese setting was very interesting and I enjoyed that they made a fairly melancholy plot cheerful, concubines and treason in an innocent smile. However, I wouldn't call the movie very memorable, unfortunately. I remember the beginning well and Ginga's aura of joy, but I don't think it was consistent enough. Something was missing that made all the change during the film, feel pointless.

Also, I have seen Silk Road but I kinda feel sad for LtC, LtW for being overshadowed by a documentary. But I'll definately try to watch it reading what people have been saying about it Anime catgrin.
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis wrote:
At it's heart, Like the Clouds Like the Wind is a kid-friendly comedy, based on a well-loved children's book.

Kôkyû Shôsetsu, which Like the Clouds, Like the Wind is based on, is not a children's book.
Mr Sevakis, no disrespect to you, but did you actually read the novel by Sakemi Ken'ichi?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2