• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-02-09]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As for Rozen Maiden, considering that "desu" doesn't mean anything in English, I doubt they will. Maybe they'll include it in the subtitles, since it is basically a catchphrase. Geneon has been sending many of their recent titles to be dubbed in Singapore, though (like Zipang), and Rozen Maiden might be one of them (let's all cross our fingers and hope it isn't!). In that case, you'll be lucky if they hire more than one woman to voice the female characters.

Though isn't Zipang so far the only anime Geneon outsourced to Singapore? Everything else in the past few months have been dubbed in North America as it always has.

Given the fuss Geneon went through to advertise the licensing, I would assume Geneon would put more effort into the production. Otherwise, Geneon just went through the trouble of advertising a not-so-great product.

And assuming that Geneon turns to Bang Zoom! Entertainment for the dubbing, it seems likely that ~desu will make its way into the English dub. That's taking into account that Bang Zoom! has a tendency to keeps honorifics and some other Japanese-specific terms in the dubs. However, that might be dependent on the director but it does occur.

But I guess we'll wait and see. Spring will be here soon enough.
Cuprin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote
I'm a reformed comics collector... I finally had to give it up when I realized I was spending $30-50 a week to keep up the habit. Still got a closet full of comic boxes... And I still get shakes passing the comic store. =(

Comics vs. Manga - yeah, Sturgeons Law hits it on the head on this one. There is a LOT of garbage from both sides of the ocean. There are a lot of good American lines, but you have to hunt and peck through a lot of refuse to find it. On the other hand up until recently, very few Japaneese imports were making it across, so it was in the best interests of the companies to pick only the best and brightest from what was already selling.

As more and more titles crossed the water, more and more junk made it through the filter.

It was more pronounced with Anime... for years people only saw the top sellers make it over here. And the public that had for years suffered with an overflow of sub par domestic animation rejoiced. Because of this, fans were all "OH MY GOD, ALL ANIME IS GOOD, AND ONLY ANIME IS GOOD!"

We know better now, as more anime makes it over, that there's a lot of junk to be filtered out there too (probably not as much as the domestic product still).

----------------------

Re: The Flake of the Week

OH MY GOD THOSE BUNNIES ARE CUTE. Thanks for the picture my wife will love the new desktop background =)
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quote
As for manga vs western comics, artwise at least, I'm definitley on manga's side. Of course it depends on which series you're talking about on either side to say 'which art is better', but I feel that with Marvel comics, there's no variation in the artwork. It all uses a realism style that I feel looks ugly, whereas in manga there are lots of unique styles to each artists. I mean compare Death Note to PitaTen to Inuyasha to Chobits to One Piece to Paradise Kiss.
Also I think colour manga artwork is much more asthetically pleasing. The colour Marvel art I've seen all looks the same; usually using generic computer colouring that just doesnt look that interesting. It looks flat and boring in comparison; manga seems to have a much more varied scope of mediums.
Of course Marvel is definitley not the only style of 'western comics' (if it were the Manga vs Western comic debate could easily be settled), I just used it as an example because most of the people who argue whether manga or western is better are obsessed with Wonder Woman/Superman/Whatever.
Its true that I haven't read alot of western comics, but I have found alot of nice things. Has anyone ever read 'Maus'?
Because of my limited knowledge of western comics in general the next assumption may be a little unfair, so if anyone wants to argue with it feel free: Presently I feel that even the nice western comics, while good for entertainment, lack one aspect present in manga that makes me enjoy manga so much more: characters that you can really get attached to. No matter how good the story, the characters just dont seem interesting enough to me.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:00 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
personally, i think the dubbing follows lip flap much more closely since the voices are done one person at a time instead of group sessions like in Japan...and better attention to animation can be followed by that one person instead of a group of actors...
I really don't care about the actors matching the lip flaps. I'd rather they'd concentrate more on the performance than anything else. And as others have mentioned, recording in group situation is much easier and more natural for actors, and generally provides for better performances.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:05 am Reply with quote
I don't have any problems with American comics. Hell, I've seen a lot of good titles sitting in the "free comics" section at my local comic store. They just don't see as much popularity, because they're not long-running and aren't about action and superheroes. There's also V for Vendetta, a British comic. The comic does a much better job exploring the "questionable means" theme than any anime or manga that does the same thing, in my opinion.

As for comedy anime, I usually understand the jokes, since most of them are just common slapstick types. Azumanga Daioh's general comedy is pretty good. I've never seen ExcelSaga, though.

I can understand how the guy who asked that last question feels. A lot of people have told me "Just give Bleach and Naruto more time. They get better after 20-30 episodes." But it really doesn't matter for me, since I don't like to tredge through 20+ episodes just to get to the good parts of a series. I'd rather watch a quick 13-50 episode series that can keep my attention from beginning to end.

About the flake, this kid just amazes me. How did he play "otaku ninja" and still manage to get a girlfriend? Razz But seriously, that kid needs to learn about reality. Sure ninjas can be cool and stuff, but no matter what you say, you will not be able to control your chi or whatever and turn it into a physical form. Those are the sick fantasies of what we call a mangaka. Very Happy

The rant kinda lost me. So this guy has three Ghibli films on DVD and still doesn't realize that those DVD's have Japanese tracks? That's the impression I'm getting right now, anyway.
bennyb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:09 am Reply with quote
The biggest flaw with that RANT is the fact that Naruto ISN'T a bad dub and doesn't fit into the same category as pokemon or YGH as far as name changes and unenthusiastic voice actors. Naruto is dubbed with an extremely faithful translation, you probably just prefer the original because you saw it first! Kids these days, get too much for free!!!

Although I'll admit, it is rare when vocal chemistry is acted as well as in the original japanese dub, (One Piece comes to mind here), save shows like Hare and Guu or Cowboy Bebop with phenomenal English dubs.
Yoshball

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
Put "~desu" into the dub? Please god no.

When I watched Fruits Basket subtitled, every time Tohru said ~desu made me more and more annoyed. Stop saying it! Stop repeating yourself! Its not cute, its annoying!

I like using honorifics and even some non-translated terms in the dub, but endless repetition of a word that zero meaning in English would drive me batty and I would not watch or buy the show.

Ugh.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The rant kinda lost me. So this guy has three Ghibli films on DVD and still doesn't realize that those DVD's have Japanese tracks? That's the impression I'm getting right now, anyway.

Disney did dubtitles for The Cat Returns, too (which BUGS me, because I actually really enjoy the movie and the dub and would buy it if it wasn't for those stupid dubtitles--they changed the dub too much to not have good subtitles).

Plus, to be honest...Castle in the Sky isn't THAT great of a dub. The villian, Muska, is awesome (yay for Mark Hamil!), and the voices for the pirates are good as well, but the main leads are...phenominal. You kinda get the idea that they were used because they were relative celebrities, not because they were the best choices for the role (some of today's anime dubbers could've done the characters better, I think).

In fact, part of the reason I think Spirited Away did so well as a dub is because they used actors with a lot of voice acting experience for the main characters, instead of just...randomly putting a celeb kid in the role (although they did that with Kiki and it worked out fine, it's just more of a mixed bag).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:27 am Reply with quote
MangaVSComics
People really need to get over this whole "manga is superior to american comics" or vise versa mentality. It is the most rasist thing ever. To say that one person, for no reason other then being from a certain country, can produce better art then someone from another certain country is so incredibly closed minded and rasist. "Oh, a Japanese person drew that, so it cant be good." Or, "Oh, a non Japanese person drew that, so it cant be good" really offends me. Art is art. Comics are comics. Who the heck cares what race the person who produced them is?

In responce to the flake..
Sometimes... okay, a heck of alot of the time, the internet amazes me with its ability to bring idiocy out of the wood work. Sure, people in real life can be idiots too. But for every idiot in real life, there are ten idiots online.
And I just get to thinking, "Hey, this is cool, I get to talk to people all around the world about things I enjoy and interest me, find information about different things, and generaly have a good time. This internet thing is working well for me."
....And then I run into people like that. And I go, "Why am I online again?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mjgeo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:39 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Quote:

For those who haven't picked up on it yet, it's a lame troll. He is still amusing though.

Normally I'd believe that but the letters this guy sends, along with his myspace and his livejournal, lead me to believe he's dead serious.

I think he's an "otakukin", one of these people that sincerely believe that they used to be an anime character in a past life.

That's just cruel and unfair... knowing his myspace and livejournal and not providing links for the rest of us.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
mjgeo wrote:
Zac wrote:
Quote:

For those who haven't picked up on it yet, it's a lame troll. He is still amusing though.

Normally I'd believe that but the letters this guy sends, along with his myspace and his livejournal, lead me to believe he's dead serious.

I think he's an "otakukin", one of these people that sincerely believe that they used to be an anime character in a past life.

That's just cruel and unfair... knowing his myspace and livejournal and not providing links for the rest of us.

It's understandable. Just because the kid's stupid/crazy doesn't mean he should have his privacy endangered just because he sent Zac a letter.

...However, if the Flake could please, please, PLEASE post here and give it to us himself...Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:14 am Reply with quote
RE: Flake - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I used to know a ton of those guys back in middle/high school, and they always astounded me with their lame self-hype/pseudo-spiritual BS. I'm glad the species hasn't died out.

RE: Bunnies - I think I'm gonna get one. They're so fluffy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Yukionna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote
Ha, Theres a picture somewhere floating around the internet of Naruto and Hinata witha fox spirt and falcon spirt in the background Rolling Eyes
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:31 am Reply with quote
Yoshball wrote:
When I watched Fruits Basket subtitled, every time Tohru said ~desu made me more and more annoyed. Stop saying it! Stop repeating yourself! Its not cute, its annoying!

Poor Tohru! Don't yell at her, you'll just make her get all flustered. Wink Personally, the Japanese-language version of Fruits Basket never annoyed me. I find that Tohru's Japanese voice is very sweet and cute. And, actually, I really adore Kyo's Japanese voice. For some reason, the Japanese voices for all of the Fruits Basket characters really seemed to suit them (if you ask me, of course). In fact, I found that I enjoyed the Japanese-language version more than the English-language version. For some reason there's just something about the Japanese version that really makes me laugh out loud and makes me feel like crying more--somehow, it just hits me more emotionally. Now, I'm not taking the position that subs are better than dubs. If I have a show on DVD, I usually watch both the English and Japanese versions. I think my reason for doing this is summed up by the use of the word "versions." In a way, it's like getting two different versions of one show. Sub and dub both have their own energy, pacing, sound, and rhythm, as well as jokes and cultural references, depending on how much the dub strays from the sub in those two respects. I enjoy comparing and contrasting the subs and dubs for these reasons. I also enjoy getting as close as I can to the original ideas and concepts of the story through the sub, along with being able to focus on the animation and the story in my own language through the dub. Actually, I'm confused by arguments such as the one that the rant tried to make, arguments that try to say that one is better than the other, because I don't think that it's a matter of one actually being better than the other; they're just different. And because of that, the arguments seem to actually be more about personal preference than about anything else. In the end, I think life would be a bit more pleasant if people just focused more on enjoying anime their way (as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else--such as illegal means, which hurt the copyright holders, etc.) and celebrating the fact that they actually have the ability to watch sub or dub or both, which is truly a wonderful luxury.
Volyund

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:36 am Reply with quote
I just think that Japanese voice actors are on average better because competition for voice acting position in Japan is so much more fierce. Plus even though there are pre-determined actors for certain roles, there are often still auditions, and if someone performs better than the preselected actor, they can change it to the auditioned person.

Competition and the size of the industry determines everything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11