• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-02-09]

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Quote:
The rant kinda lost me. So this guy has three Ghibli films on DVD and still doesn't realize that those DVD's have Japanese tracks? That's the impression I'm getting right now, anyway.

Disney did dubtitles for The Cat Returns, too (which BUGS me, because I actually really enjoy the movie and the dub and would buy it if it wasn't for those stupid dubtitles--they changed the dub too much to not have good subtitles).

Plus, to be honest...Castle in the Sky isn't THAT great of a dub. The villian, Muska, is awesome (yay for Mark Hamil!), and the voices for the pirates are good as well, but the main leads are...phenominal..

I would argue, however, that compared to whoever did the older dub of LAPUTA (which I heard clips of, and was instantly disappointed with), Disney's is a lot more listenable. It has its shortcomings, yes, but it's still gets a lot of repeat value for not only the pirates and Hamill, but for the new score as well. While the leads aren't my favorite performers, they're certainly not bad and overall I wouldn't recommend against this dub. Granted, it's not the equivalent of the Japanese version, but I like both equally. It mystifies me how anyone could argue over the superiority of the first English dub of LAPUTA, because I didn't find the voices to be all that great from the brief clip I heard. (Muska was particularly dreadful; while Pazu and Sheeta didn't sound like they were in their mid-teens, I actually thought they were weaker than the Disney leads).

-Jon T.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11