• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Monster GN 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bennyb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:12 am Reply with quote
I purchased the first 4 volumes of this and proceeded to download the rest due to my impatience. In all sincerity I'm glad, because I didn't spend over $150 buying a series that while being well done is too drawn out for its own good. Smite me now, but this is my opinion.
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
Hm, for me it's the opposite. I read this series first on scanlation, but I fell in love with it so hard that I have plans to buy the whole series once it has all come out. <3 (hopefully I can get con discounts or something...)
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Bah, I'd choose the anime over the manga any day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Foshi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:58 pm Reply with quote
There seems to be a distinct lack of reasoning in the previous posts.

Currently, I am on episode 49 of the fansub and volume 7 of the English manga release. I find this to be one of the best series I have ever seen. Everything about the story, plot, and characters has grabbed me and has not let go. I really love the fact that there are no throw away characters. Every character in the series has a purpose and point in being there. I really hope the ending lives up the great style presented in the rest of the story.

Volume 5 was a good story with some interesting new characters. I really don't judge single releases of manga harshly because I like to look at the whole thing as one big continuing book.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:51 pm Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
I purchased the first 4 volumes of this and proceeded to download the rest due to my impatience. In all sincerity I'm glad, because I didn't spend over $150 buying a series that while being well done is too drawn out for its own good. Smite me now, but this is my opinion.

What! Seriously? How did you think it was drawn out? Did you think that the story didn't fulfill you, or something else? Have you given the anime a chance, although the adaptation by Madhouse is nearly identical. So what is it about this manga you didn't like?

Jedi General wrote:
Bah, I'd choose the anime over the manga any day.

I enjoy both, but I think that VA and music (Underrated) really push the anime over the manga in my opinion.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
bennyb wrote:

What! Seriously? How did you think it was drawn out? Did you think that the story didn't fulfill you, or something else? Have you given the anime a chance, although the adaptation by Madhouse is nearly identical. So what is it about this manga you didn't like?

I can't speak for bennyb, but I'm having a slightly similar opinion on just the first six books.

I do like the series. When it's on, it's on, but I think all the Tenma good doctor side stories trip up the flow, as does the transition from one story arc to the next. That's my main problem with the series, but it's not a big deterent. At least the series isn't getting worse, but I'm waiting on it to get better.

I don't have any plans to watch the anime anytime soon. I'm not agonizing over the two month wait, and the last thing I need is to have to catch up to a 75 episode show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1