• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto Shippuuden (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBFire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
I'm very interested in this topic as well since I was contemplating getting back into Naruto myself. A few years back I stopped watching the original Naruto (before shippuden started) because I was all caught up and the rest was just filler. Shippuden started and I got excited again, but I just couldn't really get back into the swing of how often I had been watching it before.

Just yesterday though, I was thinking about it and I think I'd like to give it another try and get back caught up. On a side note, in reference to what the OP said about Bleach, I had heard the same thing from one of my friends as well. It sounds like a darn shame since that show had a really interesting storyline in my opinion.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:18 am Reply with quote
JBFire wrote:
I'm very interested in this topic as well since I was contemplating getting back into Naruto myself. A few years back I stopped watching the original Naruto (before shippuden started) because I was all caught up and the rest was just filler. Shippuden started and I got excited again, but I just couldn't really get back into the swing of how often I had been watching it before.

Just yesterday though, I was thinking about it and I think I'd like to give it another try and get back caught up.

I've gotta admit, I'm completely addicted to Shippuden right now. I think pacing improved significantly after the first arc and some of Shippuden's episodes (82 comes to mind) display some of the finest direction I've seen in anime, period. There haven't been as many Norio Matsumoto episodes as the first series, but there are still standouts (see here). What I saw of the preview for ep. 166 leads me to believe that this is going to be another stand-out episode animation-wise, actually. It's kind of ridiculous how eagerly I'm looking forward to it.

I only started watching Naruto this year--it's probably worth mentioning that I've never read the manga--and having watched everything in rapid sequence on Hulu, skipping the bulk of the infamous filler and moving straight into Shippuden, I have to say it felt like a pretty seamless transition. If anything, I think I enjoy Shippuden a bit more, since I'm starting to see some payoff to Naruto's training and backstory. But yeah, Shippuden is presently in canon territory, so people who want to catch up can skip the filler arcs (57-72, 92-112, 144-151) fairly easily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:49 am Reply with quote
I'd say Shippuden is most likely worth it if you can find a manual to help you skip fillers (like the above). I don't know about the last arc (the girl with the hidden ninjutsu), but I'd say it was something to avoid (I did watch it but during some episodes I couldn't pay attention at all). Right now we're at episode 166, and a few arguably unnecessary things have been happening lately (spoilers so I'll avoid that). Though I expect to enjoy the next episode just as much as I enjoyed the early episode around fifty when spoiler[Naruto fought Orochimaru.] After that I don't recall many exciting fights (except for spoiler[Jiraya's], of course), although we had some interesting character development and a few good conclusions. But then again, if you skip the fillers, Naruto should be by far more enjoyable.

I'm also wondering if this is going to finish any soon. spoiler[Akatsuki is supposed to be last villains, right?] Maybe not. I'd rather not see it ending any soon either.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:30 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
What I saw of the preview for ep. 166 leads me to believe that this is going to be another stand-out episode animation-wise, actually. It's kind of ridiculous how eagerly I'm looking forward to it.
Not to mention that 167 is an Atsushi Wakabayashi episode. Presumably Matsumoto will back too (though even when he's worked on Shippuden, he hasn't done the same workload). And hopefullly Hiroyuki Yamashita will be there too, unless Pierrot is strictly keeping him on working for the next movie....

And a fun fact about 82 is that most of it isn't even from the manga...but it still manages the material better. Looks like 166 might in the same vein.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
yeah 166 does stuff that wasn't in the manga, basically in the manga spoiler[Hinata confesses then gets taken out pretty fast] personally i though the episode was quite awesome. though i guess your enjoyment depends on how you feel about Hinata.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
And a fun fact about 82 is that most of it isn't even from the manga...but it still manages the material better. Looks like 166 might in the same vein.

Ahhh, I had a feeling 82 elaborated on canon a bit more than usual. Everything about that episode was absolutely perfect, IMO. The subtleties in the animation, the camera choices, the atmospheric perspective in the light of Konoha... it made the world feel really solid and grounded, rather than just a colorful backdrop for fighting ninjas. The character acting was brilliant, as well. Toshiyuki Tsuru, who directed that brilliance, is the episode director on board for 166, so that's one of the reasons I'm really looking forward to it.

Totally looking forward to Wakabayashi's new ep, as well. I didn't know he was getting an episode in Shippuden; that's awesome news. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I only started watching Naruto this year--it's probably worth mentioning that I've never read the manga--and having watched everything in rapid sequence on Hulu, skipping the bulk of the infamous filler and moving straight into Shippuden

You cheating bastard.
Quote:

If anything, I think I enjoy Shippuden a bit more, since I'm starting to see some payoff to Naruto's training and backstory.

This is how I feel as well. I'm loving Shippuden with the major growth of Naruto and the rest of the younger ninjas in Konoha. You also have several awesome major fights up to this point. The current arc may have had my favorite of them thus far. The filler arcs can be a bit of chore, but they aren't too bad and blended in well enough. The cannon arcs have all been pretty great though.

Last edited by Eivion on Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I recently got back into the Naruto anime after quitting sometime around season four I think it was, years back.

Tried it again, and yeah, HAD to skip just about all the filler. I don't feel like I've lost anything from skipping, and I agree: Shippuden has gotten way better in the pacing, and even more so when they give us some phenomenal fighting animation. I still drool at the memory of episode 82, 85, as well as the original Naruto series 133. If only the anime could keep up with that sort of quality/budget. I suppose that'd be too much to ask of any long running anime series, but still those episodes were amazing, and probably the main reason I'm still bothering with the anime.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
so alot of people are complaining about the animation for 167 (seriously look up some screencaps and gifs and i dare you not to laugh) but considering the point of the style was fluid animation for the fight i thought it was truly spectacular.
Itsuko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Ammm Hi ,
i usually used to just read the forum,but i just can't stand still , because i don't understand what's happening?Is this a kind of joke or something? I mean it's like a parody of Naruto,nothing in common except the names and the music!The battle?Have you ever seen a REAL NARUTO battle flow like this?Sorry I haven't!I just can't accept it!It's like a childish draw!I'm really really uneasy , because if they continue to draw it that way,i think I'll stop watching ....i can't stand it and i can't feel it the way i felt watching all other episodes.I'm really sorry if i hurt somebody's feelings or something,but that's my truth!And the only place i can be sure the post will be read is here... Smile

Please, tell me...everything is going to be normal again ,right Question
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I found nothing wrong with the animation style. I actually found the effects pretty neat and thought it added a really eerie feeling to the fight.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Always funny to see the reaction to these sakuga episodes. Dude, this is a REAL NARUTO battle. Wakabayashi practically invented these types of episodes along with Akiyuki Shinbo back when they worked on YuYu Hakusho. From the shots I've seen, I think I might lose my mind due to the sheer amount of energy and awesomeness they put into 20 minutes of animation. The dude is a beast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Itsuko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
if i am the only one who doesn't like it that way...well then the problem is in me....but that energy has always been there,just in some other way, with more tension in it!Here it's all fist, fist,kick, boom pow and that''s all i saw!
I hope the next one will be as the other 166 Shippuuden episodes...
Please,can someone tell me how it's gonna be..please... Sad
braves

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Itsuko wrote:
if i am the only one who doesn't like it that way...well then the problem is in me....
Well, to be fair, after I saw a bit of it I was sure there were going to be people not liking it. It definitely takes a certain sensibility to enjoy animation where consistency in the drawings is sacrificed for greater and more flexible movement like Wakabayashi likes to do. I'm pretty sure you're far from the only one who didn't like it.
Itsuko wrote:
Here it's all fist, fist,kick, boom pow and that''s all i saw!
But it's an action episode for an action show. I sure hope it goes that way from time to time.

Itsuko wrote:

I hope the next one will be as the other 166 Shippuuden episodes...
Please,can someone tell me how it's gonna be..please... Sad

As much as I'd like for it to happen, Wakabayashi won't be on that frequently. Maybe once a year if he wants to work on more Naruto.
Itsuko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, to be fair, after I saw a bit of it I was sure there were going to be people not liking it. It definitely takes a certain sensibility to enjoy animation where consistency in the drawings is sacrificed for greater and more flexible movement like Wakabayashi likes to do. I'm pretty sure you're far from the only one who didn't like it.

You're right,and i think ..it's just that it comes to the way I'm accustomed of seeing it in IT's way...otherwise Wakabayashi has a unique style, but just seems to me that it's not for Naruto... Rolling Eyes

Quote:
But it's an action episode for an action show. I sure hope it goes that way from time to time.

That's what i meant with that 'tension'...the action in all battles has more of it,but in 167...i hadn't felt it...

Quote:
As much as I'd like for it to happen, Wakabayashi won't be on that frequently. Maybe once a year if he wants to work on more Naruto.

Thank you Anime smile + sweatdrop
Regards Anime catgrin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 60 of 62