• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Hairy Situations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
CSS: The problem is it might be Toei, not Illumitoon, which did the subs.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
Karasuhebi wrote:
How am I doing with my collection? I would like an opinion. Also, I would like this guy to tell us an estimate of how much money he's spent on all those anime DVDs. That would be interesting to know.

Not bad for two months in. Most people don't dive into a new hobby quite that quickly.

Also, there's a thread down in the Anime forum asking people to estimate how much they've spent on anime. No idea if this guy has posted in it, but you can look at some other people's collections and weep for their empty wallets....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:30 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Yeah
As for BoBoBo, I would have preferred proper subtitles, but to say

"Honestly, there is no point in releasing the Japanese language version of something if you're not going to translate it.".
"Since it is a kids' show, I'd rather Illumitoon just release a dub DVD and market it for kids. Really. Because honestly, how many adults are there who are actually banging on the doors of Best Buy at 9 o'clock, desperate for the next volume of Bo^7"

-when you also say you're not a fan of the entire insane humor genre is just ridiculous. This adult pre-ordered it long ago & will continue to pre-order it, although I will e-mail the company expressing a desire for real subtitles. That usually seems to be the work of the dub studio. They're a new company, & realistically subtitles & alternate language tracks aren't all that important to most American dvd buyers, so they just need to be made aware of their audience.

4Kids never gave us Shaman King or Tokyo Mew Mew. I was very disappointed in Tokyopop over Rave Master when they, more than anyone, should have known better.

I for one will listen in Japanese because I love Takehito Koyasu's delivery. Yeah, it's be nice to know what he's saying, but I'll live with this, email them, I pray they pay attention. Look at Dragonball Z-how long did we wait to get the Saiyan Saga uncut & they're still dragging out the Japanese track release. (And I do prefer Ryo Horikawa's Vegeta)

In the case of Bo^7, I think dubtitles may be the lesser offense of its issues. My impression of it, based on reading Chris's early snippet (it was so awful he felt he had to at least get part of it off his chest before the scheduled review was released), is that the subtitles are damn near unreadable a large chunk of the time. Between poor timing (though that may be part of the dubtitling), stuffing up to six lines of text on the screen, and not distinguishing between different people taking, it was simply unwatchable.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was struggling thru them last night, but will still buy the title. A lot of the time, I ended up just listening (Onosaka (Vash, but I know him more for Ichan/Angelic Layer) sounded more like himself. Koyasu went very deep for this one, but then pops over to lighter tones. He is very impressive).
And I will e-mail them over the weekend (if they haven't moved their e-mail link at their site). I emailed them before & got a nice response, but they seem more interested in titles to release than the titles they have already. I think it's just more they don't understand how important real subtitles are to the audience. Do fans of South Park care if there's a French track? Fans of foreign art fims, yeah, but how about the (sloppily dubbed at one time) kung fu flicks? Look at Mad Max. The anime audience is somewhat unique in our tastes. There's the dub fans who could give a rat's over how Kappei Yamaguchi played InuYasha & then there's the sub fans who argue who has the best subtitles on different fan-sub groups.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
is it just me, or do i spy some Pocky and Pretz on that shelf?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:03 am Reply with quote
Bamboo Dong wrote:
Because honestly, how many adults are there who are actually banging on the doors of Best Buy at 9 o'clock, desperate for the next volume of Bo^7?

Just LordByronis ... though he likely joined the other three people above who bought a copy, and pre-ordered somewhere.

Bamboo Dong wrote:
In any case, the show itself is kind of hilarious. It's amazing in that kind of Johnny Bravo meets… I don't quite know how to describe it.

Well, Johnny Bravo provides the hair fettish ... so you need something that makes little to no sense, has an incredibly short attention span, and fails to deliver (particularly on humor.) How about Colorful?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Bamboo Dong wrote:
Because honestly, how many adults are there who are actually banging on the doors of Best Buy at 9 o'clock, desperate for the next volume of Bo^7?

Just LordByronis ... though he likely joined the other three people above who bought a copy, and pre-ordered somewhere.

Bamboo Dong wrote:
In any case, the show itself is kind of hilarious. It's amazing in that kind of Johnny Bravo meets… I don't quite know how to describe it.

Well, Johnny Bravo provides the hair fettish ... so you need something that makes little to no sense, has an incredibly short attention span, and fails to deliver (particularly on humor.) How about Colorful?

There are those who find FLCL one of the funniest shows out there.. I smiled at 1 joke in all 6 eps. I love Bobobo. I love Excel Saga. The humor is more satire (am I the only one who thinks the Hair Hunt troop look like they belong on DBZ?) Yeah, I had to explain the joke about giving soda to Don Patch to my teen because she didn't know in Japanese his name relates to Pop Rocks candy (thus the link to the urban legend).

Bobobo is in the same genre as Dr. Slump & Papuwa. It's not that hard ro classify.

On Tom Snyder's show Alice Cooper commented he hated it when people trashed something because A) someone put an effort into creating it & B) everything has a fan. (I believe The Choirboys was mentioned in the interview)
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:47 am Reply with quote
Man, Illumitoon completely skipped ANN and AOD's reviews, and just used some no-name sites to promote Bo^7.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3