• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Evangelion Movie Premieres September 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvangelioNerdArmyFounder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Excellent! The Nerds of Eva will be pleased and briming with excitement over the return of the Eva to the world. Sept. 1 shall be a day of celebration for us all!
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Apparently there's also going to be a fifteen second trailier released on February fifteenth.

Oh, and while there are "four" seperate movies, it seems the last two will be released in two seperate segments at once, similar to the way The End of Evangelion had the last two episodes re-imagined.

purple_monkey wrote:
Wow!! Another milking project!! Geez, you'd think they let this cash cow go to pasture (then again, if I held the property I'd milk it till it was dead too Very Happy )

"Milking the cash cow" jokes have been dead for months now.
santo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm personally excited about the movies; and see it more as "this is how anno wanted the series to go" project. The Eva series was heavily underfunded, or the Eva crew went way over budget with the first few episodes, whichever story you believe. So this, to me, will be a way for anno to tell the story; and finish it how he orginally intended. Though, I personally liked the ending(s) how they were.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why lowlife187 was complaining so much about changes being made-- what's the point in releasing new versions if they're the same as the old ones? I hope its different enough that it's its own beast. Remakes that are exactly the same as the original bug me-- where's the creative input in an endeavor like that?
Antimonitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed EVA enough, so I'm looking forward to seeing these. My only hope is that they won't be attempting to retcon anything from the original version; they'll either fit into the plot of that series or be an 'alt universe'.

Lowlife187 wrote:
And the wiki says they are going to change the NERV logo!!! WTF is up with that! The maple leaf and "God in his heaven, All right with the world" is perfect symbolysm.

I think it's a little early to get too concerned about such a minor change; I mean, it's not like they're changing the NERV logo to a close-up of Rei's face with "GENDO ROCKS" in black letters on her forehead. Assuming the wikipedia article is completely true on this point, and knowing nothing else, I think the symbolism of the new logo would actually work better than the original version. There's also the issue of context. The original logo worked with the symbolism and deeper meanings of the original version, but maybe these new videos will have a different context and underlying meaning with which the new logo(s) will mesh.
Amasa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I'm a huge fan of Eva, but I'm not too sure about this project. I usually dislike alternate retellings in the first place so I'm praying that that was just a rumour. I am excited about the new character in the second movie though, that will bring up some new and interesting changes. I can fully understand anyone's concerns about the changes even minor ones like the Nerv logo. I'm not keen about it either but deep down I think I'd be disappointed if nothing changed in the new movies. I want Anno to either go all out and change everything and everyone, or do nothing to alter my understanding of NGE TV and EoE originals.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I just hope they do it right. I hope they do the Evas right...and the Angels...alternate stories I usually enjoy because of whatever reason. Neertheless....if they screw it up...dear God...
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to these. Wikipedia has some interesting tidbits...

Quote:
According to an article in the February 2007 issue of Newtype USA, The first movie will end with Operation Yashima, an incident that takes place during Episode 6 of the original Evangelion TV series. The article also states that a brand new character to the Evangelion universe will be introduced in the second installment and that some of the differences between the original series and the new movies will take advantage of 3D CG technology not available when the series was produced back in 1995. Other differences will include new NERV and SEELE emblems (a partially eaten apple and an apple with a serpent, respectively) and slight retoolings of the uniforms and possibly the Evangelions themselves.

Huh. Well, I hope they won't make the Evas CG, but I'm still totally thrilled about this.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm mildly interested in the first two movies (the retellings) but the only one I'm excited about is the last one which may (hopefully) give the series an actual ending. I didn't mind how things played out in the first half of End of Eva, up until the Eva 02 vs. Harpies fight, but after that it was crap.
Mydogblaze
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Will this be dub, and if it is hopefully by the same actors who did the first anime and movies... Manga Entertainment or will ADV get it?
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't think an American Licensor has been announced yet. And even if one has, I HIGHLY doubt they already have confirmed their voice cast.

-Karasuhebi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tensaku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
Well I can't wait for this being the Eva fan that I am. Very Happy
Jubet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:55 am Reply with quote
I felt irrationally excited when I read this. Maybe not irrationally, I did love it when I saw it all those years ago. It will be interesting to see how everything pans out.
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:08 am Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:
I don't understand why lowlife187 was complaining so much about changes being made-- what's the point in releasing new versions if they're the same as the old ones? I hope its different enough that it's its own beast. Remakes that are exactly the same as the original bug me-- where's the creative input in an endeavor like that?

It just seems to me that too many anime go into the alternate reality mode and start pumping out lots of anime that don't progress the old story or take the old good story and turn it into crap. Gundam has done it a lot, but Macross also has alternate story lines. Record of Lodoss war "The Heroic Knight", please, the original OAV was way better then the TV series.

Maybe I'm too quick to call foul, I will watch the new movies, don't get me wrong there, but I have high standards I am expecting, especially from a Eva.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
I find the idea of NERV's new emblem being a partially eaten apple... Oh, the symbolism, but hey, isn't a partially eaten apple the logo of Macintosh?

The apple with the serpent sounds like a pretty cool emblem, actually. I can't wait for the pictures. I want to see all the new character designs!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3