• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Princess Mononoke Is No Longer a Buena Vista Title

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis:
Quote:
and Mononoke was a more minor title for them (compared to, say, Shakespeare in Love)

Well, it made money for 'em on DVD. Plus, the whole Academy connection and celebrity voices would make it an instant easy cash-in for Blu-Ray. But I thought the title would be in the Di$ney fold indefinitely, and they were just leasing it out to Miramax, because Der Mouse didn't want to be associated with a "violent cartoon". [Not to mention that Lasseter screened a clip of it for that Miyazaki tribute in L.A. a while back, and seems to want to "remake", er "homage", PM in Brave.] Makes me wonder if the company's contract with Ghibli in general is ending soon. It'd be nice if that were the case, so someone else would consider bringing over Only Yesterday; but I'm still hoping we'll see it on R1 DVD w/ Arriety.

enurtsol:
Quote:
Ghibli wouldn't allow that. They only work with companies they could trust, and there are very few.

They allowed other companies to get Grave of the Fireflies. They just don't want a Warriors of the Wind-style edit again, which won't happen now.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

enurtsol:
Quote:
Ghibli wouldn't allow that. They only work with companies they could trust, and there are very few.

They allowed other companies to get Grave of the Fireflies. They just don't want a Warriors of the Wind-style edit again, which won't happen now.

Grave of the Fireflies isn't exactly controlled by Ghibli:

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/disney/

"Grave of the Fireflies" is not included in the [Disney-Tokuma] deal because Tokuma Publishing does not hold the rights to it. It was produced by a company called Shinchosha.

Hayao Miyazaki basically just keeps a few friends. Even if your company promises not to make cuts, that doesn't mean he'd agree to work with your company. You'd have to earn his trust first. (It was only circumstances that forced him to work with Disney: his friend Tokuma Publishing badly needed a fresh infusion of large cash.)
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
Even if the rights on this have lasped, I don't think they'll stay that way for long- Mononoke is too high profile to fall along the wayside (I mean, when I explain the whole anime thing to non-fans, they typically know Mononoke and Spirited Away and nothing else.)

Actually, this could end up being a good thing for those of us who own it- a temporary price spike allowing for a quick profit before a re-release brings prices crashing back down... like what happened with Tron.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
enurtsol:
Quote:
"Grave of the Fireflies" is not included in the [Disney-Tokuma] deal because Tokuma Publishing does not hold the rights to it. It was produced by a company called Shinchosha.

Perhaps, but Disney could bring it over if they wanted to. And since the director of Grave still works for Ghibli, he could vouch for it to be part of the deal if he wanted.

Quote:
Hayao Miyazaki basically just keeps a few friends. Even if your company promises not to make cuts, that doesn't mean he'd agree to work with your company. You'd have to earn his trust first.

He jumped on the Blu-Ray bandwagon for Nausicaa pretty easily. It's just a matter of

Quote:
(It was only circumstances that forced him to work with Disney: his friend Tokuma Publishing badly needed a fresh infusion of large cash.)

What? He made big bank with Princess Mononoke. In fact, an ex-friend of mine quoted him as saying he'd never work with Disney. So I'm guessing he benefits through distribution and home video, since he can pay for each production on his own.
kern

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:55 am Reply with quote
I have posted an e-mail to Lionsgate requesting a Blu-Ray release.

I pointed out that this is likely a valuable catelogue title. I wouldn't be surprised if Lassiter didn't even know/realize that Buena Vista was losing this title in the sale of Miramax films to Lionsgate. However, this could prove a boon to those of us who long for a Mononoke blu-ray.

Amazon is keeping a long list of people who have requested to be informed when Mononoke blu-ray is released. So, requests to Lionsgate may be useful.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote
kern wrote:

I pointed out that this is likely a valuable catelogue title. I wouldn't be surprised if Lassiter didn't even know/realize that Buena Vista was losing this title in the sale of Miramax films to Lionsgate. However, this could prove a boon to those of us who long for a Mononoke blu-ray.

Amazon is keeping a long list of people who have requested to be informed when Mononoke blu-ray is released. So, requests to Lionsgate may be useful.

It's definitely not valuable monetarily.

It's...it's still my favorite Miyazaki film though Razz
triangle_man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:44 am Reply with quote
Ew, I hope it doesn't show up in the Echo Bridge library. The packaging on their recent blurays don't exactly smack of quality. They just look... cheap. I think Best Buy was selling those for 7.99 right when they came out. I'm still disappointed they did the bluray release of Supercop (Police Story 3) instead of Dragon Dynasty.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote
zephmonkey wrote:
Ya I guess your right to. But you got to understand these are our favorite movies so of course we have to freak out a little. Confused

What if I told you that Princess Mononoke was my third favorite movie period right behind Return of the King and 2001: A Space Odyssey? xD

I for one am not freaking out because after so many excellent releases of Ghibli works (Just look at how many theaters Ponyo got in...) I trust Disney to pull through and get us that blu-ray once the Japanese get around to theirs. I believe they're going through all their films in chronological order, so it should still be a while until they get to Princess Mononoke.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
icomeanon4 wrote:

What if I told you that Princess Mononoke was my third favorite movie period right behind Return of the King and 2001: A Space Odyssey? xD
It's my favorite movie/anime, period. Twisted Evil

That said, I'm really not worried at all about whether or not the US is getting a BD release. With how much a love this thing, I'm naturally gonna import the JP BD when it comes out as well as buy a copy of the US release for the helluvit. I figure it's just a matter of time, really.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
It's too high profile a movie for someone not to try and sell it on BluRay. Disney's already done a lot of marketing of the movie in the past so whoever gets it would automatically have a fairly substantial market.

Of course Disney isn't really even Disney anymore. Pixar has basically taken them over and Pixar hasn't shown any real interest in 2D animation.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
kern wrote:

Miramax wasn't sold to Lion's Gate. They were sold to a group of investors who licensed out their home video rights to Lions Gate and Echo Bridge. Lion's Gate has a long history of licensing titles from other studios, including Paramount and its Republic Pictures label.

It's possible the license to Mononoke has lapsed. Its just as likely that it's been licensed out to Lions Gate. However, they licensed hundreds of titles from Miramax, so it will likely be some time before they get to it, particularly with the DVD market drying up.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:

Of course Disney isn't really even Disney anymore. Pixar has basically taken them over and Pixar hasn't shown any real interest in 2D animation.

You're wrong. John Lasseter is now Chief of all Disney animation (instead of a guy who has a MBA), and he has instituted tasks based on what they do best. Pixar will continue to be Pixar and do what they do best, while Disney Animation Studio would bring back traditional 2D animation which is what they do best. Lasseter specifically wants to bring back 2D animation.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:25 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick:
Quote:
Pixar has basically taken them over and Pixar hasn't shown any real interest in 2D animation.

Of course, the irony is that they screened clips of 2-D films every time they're promoting Miyazaki. But yeah, I think CG animation's just as grating a gimmick at this point as 3D. Did anyone want a sequel to Cars, Kung Fu Panda, and/or Happy Feet?

enurtsol:
Quote:
Pixar will continue to be Pixar and do what they do best, while Disney Animation Studio would bring back traditional 2D animation which is what they do best.

They did a piss-poor job of promoting the new Pooh movie. I'm just as baffled as Ebert at why they played it against Harry Potter.
E-Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I too would love to see an American Blu-ray for Princess Mononoke. Or atleast a release that has more bonus features than the 2000 DVD had. But if that's too much for a request, I'll still buy the Blu-ray that just has the movie and language options. Until then my DVD of PM will stay in my collection.

I know there's a Japan Blu-ray of it, but I don't feel like buying it unless it's mandatory to own.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:

I know there's a Japan Blu-ray of it, but I don't feel like buying it unless it's mandatory to own.
Well, there will be, but it hasn't even been announced yet. I don't see it coming out for another year or 2, unfortunately.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3